Wisconsin Farmhouse Remodel

Started by Windpower, September 14, 2012, 09:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Thanks, NLO

yesterday we got a bit more trim and kitchen cabinets done

still need toe kicks and knobs

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

astidham

I really enjoy following your build!....looks great!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Windpower

thanks, astidham, glad you are enjoying the build

it has been a journey

we looked at each other yesterday after noticing that one step was done wrong (again!) and
I said "you know I am getting tired of being patient"

she said "that is exactly what I was thinking"

but we are getting close -- it is interesting when contractors arrive that haven't been here for a month or two -- they are very complimentary about the build and the progress

I guess when you are living with it everyday it just sort of blends in

tomorrow we may get the rest of the trim done and we can call the movers and get our stuff that has been in storage since last July

*fingers crossed*

Windpower

We have a date

The movers are scheduled to bring our long-in-storage furniture and stuff next Tuesday

yesterday we  measured some spaces for furniture everything is looking good

except----

we did plan the master bedroom around our furniture

but when we looked at it yesterday we discovered that while the bed and headboard will fit, the open door will come within inches of the bed side table on one side and covered the trim on the walk in closet door on the other side. This was because the carpenters moved entrance doorway over about a foot   (I did not catch this until it after it was wired and dry walled d* d* )

ETA
I just remembered another factor that was changed by the inspector -- I had originally planned a 2' 8" entrance door -- he said it had to be a 3'0' door this cost another 4 inches of clearance for the side tables -- oh well

after a long discussion we came to the conclusion that we really don't like the bed anyway and it takes up too much space (leaving only a cramped space at the end of the bed for a couple chairs and there is no under the bed storage

so we went shopping and found just what we wanted with 6 under bed storage drawers and a well laid out headboard with a few shelves that are just right for our radio alarm and a few books -- perfect, and it is in quarter sawn oak too, that fits in with the rest of our furniture plans

and we now have plenty of room for a couple chairs and a small table near the windows which is what we had planned about 4 or 5 versions of floor plans earlier

rick91351

So glad to hear we are not the only ones with misplaced doors and clearances.   ;)

Wish we were there to share in the excitement. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

Rick

I guess there are no perfect houses, even when you try to plan everything out, things change or go out of your control ....

but it is exciting and we are enjoying the trip

it will be nice to take some time off and enjoy a 'normal' life again

rick91351

Quote from: Windpower on February 21, 2014, 07:42:38 AM
Rick

I guess there are no perfect houses, even when you try to plan everything out, things change or go out of your control ....

but it is exciting and we are enjoying the trip

it will be nice to take some time off and enjoy a 'normal' life again

Being homeless for a couple years now.  So looking forward to  ???  Gee I don't know - seems almost natural......

I / we have caught a couple places where you wonder why you put the light switch there - why didn't you put one there?  Why was there not an outlet put there?  Most of those have been changed do to our leaving the bottom bare for wainscot.  I do wish now we would have changed the 'center' of the room for a couple ceiling fans. 

Hope the weather gets better for your move in date.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

single digit temps for move day, but no snow storms so they will likely be able to climb the hill

we are finding quite a lot of things to get done before the furniture arrives

cleaning and cleaning and more cleaning

and emptying a few rooms of tools and debris too (I guess we should get the power tools and tool cart out of the dining room .....)

will it ever end ?

Windpower

We got moved in on Tuesday

long cold day --they finished up about 9:00 PM after trouble with the truck, getting here at 3:30 pm

it is very nice to have furniture for a change

the house is not 100% yet but hopefully it will be by month end.

Then we can start on the outside -- landscaping, putting in the garden, pond, shop, solar panels,  tearing down the old garage, putting up a wood shed....

I have been reading a lot lately about permaculture: Sepp Holzer and Ben Falk

this book is great IMO.

Ben Falk took a 10 acre Vermont farmette that was severly abused by over grazing and abandonment and has created a viable permaculture homestead. Lots of practical hands on experience. He is even growing rice !

http://www.amazon.com/The-Resilient-Farm-Homestead-Permaculture/dp/1603584447/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393688443&sr=8-1&keywords=Ben+Falk