Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Now you went and changed the entire atmosphere of the place, Jimmy.   :)

Jimmy_Cason

On July 2nd I had to stop the tape and bedding on the living area due to the severe allergic reaction my wife had to the sanding of the sheetrock texture. We had to take her to the doctor to get a cortisone shot. She is starting her new job on July 5th and I dont want her first week at work to be with puffy eyes and sneezing every two minutes, so I will wait awhile before I try again.

glenn-k

Some of the texture can be smoothed with a wet sponge instead of sanding, Jimmy.  Don't know if that would work for you or not.

So much for modern toxic building materials, eh.   :-/  

Wow -- hanging out with so many Canadians is making me start to type with an accent, eh. :)

Beauty of a pix, Jimmy.

Jimmy_Cason

The living room is sheetrocked texured and painted!
I used the Home Depot colors "Brown Teepee" and"Red Red Wine" from Behr.

Sassy

Very nice job - I like your colors - that little corner there with the red red wine color is so pretty  :) !

jraabe

Nice homey feel. A good place to hang your hat.

Good work. :D

glenn-k

I am currently working on a proposal to build a nice 2 story Universal with viewing deck over the front porch and access from the top floor to the deck in the gold country - at a Historic Gold Mine site actually.

Yours is a great example, Jimmy.  The Universal plans will be modified to suit the owner's preferences. :)

Jimmy_Cason

Glenn, I am looking forward to seeing the progress pictures!

There is one drawback with the Universal Two Story Adjustable floor plan.  The fact that the adjustable floor plan can be changed at any phase of the project.
[highlight]Wives, slow progressive building, and adjustable floor plans= frustrated owner builder husbands![/highlight]

glenn-k

If the project goes through, I will start a thread on it.  Fortunately this will be for a customer.  Lots of hurdles to cross before we get something going on it though. :)

deertracks

Just checked out your newest interior shots from July...
nice job on the whole project and the decorating.
What's the flooring?
Any kitchen pictures?

Jimmy_Cason

Thanks Deertracks,
I have added trim to the windows since those pictures were taken of the living area. I am working on adding sheetrock to the kitchen area at this time. I will post some pictures of the work in progress tonight after work.
My flooring is still just 1-1/8" t&g plywood sub flooring. That will be the last thing I add. We are wanting to lay down a nice knotty pine floor using wide planks of at least 6" or more.

chatycady

Very nice place. I don't envy you on hanging sheet rock. I've decided never again to hang it or tape drywall! It's a lot of hard work! You've done a nice job on it. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Jimmy_Cason

Work in progress.....
The kitchen still has my homemade 2x4s and plywood cabinets. With the fabric covering the face.
We have our eye on some hickory cabinets from Lowes.

Remember............Save a little, build a little!!!

jraabe

Thanks for the new photos and sharing your construction information. Very helpful, especially for new builders.

I especially liked the calculation of how many square feet you built in a day.

glenn-k

Thanks for the new pix, Jimmy.  The place is looking great.  We went to the mine today and looked the site over.  With the complete design being able to be modified there is no way I won't be able to come up with something that will please the owner.  I had them take a few example pix and floor plans to kick around a bit.  This house is like it was meant to be for their location.  Rather than the porch roof there will be a viewing deck with a railing around it and French doors or similar to the deck.

Your house makes it easy for them to visualize what they want.  They also want some natural wood -- maybe even log accents -- I brought them to my place to show them so they could get some ideas. :)

deertracks

Ah....the Lowes "in-stock" hickory cabinets.
Such a value! Does your local Lowes have the in-stock type
or are you looking at the special order ones?
About the floor... Lumber Liq. had some good pine prices.
Have you checked their website?
If I remember right, the honey pine was $1.69sf
Thanks for posting the kitchen pics. Will be looking forward to
your finished look.

pioneergal

Jimmy your house is very pretty ... I love the colors!

To be honest I do envy you being able to be living in your dream home.

We're not there yet but hope be very soon.

The exterior is about 90 % complete and we're now working on the inside.

Keep the pictures coming!

Pioneergal

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteDoes your local Lowes have the in-stock type
or are you looking at the special order ones?
About the floor... Lumber Liq. had some good pine prices.
Have you checked their website?
If I remember right, the honey pine was $1.69sf
Thanks for posting the kitchen pics. Will be looking forward to
your finished look.

They have everything we want except for the 60" sink base. I wonder how much more that will cost me.

I wll check out Lumber Liq. for flooring, but that will be the final thing I add inside.
I have no idea how long that will be!

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteYour house makes it easy for them to visualize what they want.  They also want some natural wood -- maybe even log accents -- I brought them to my place to show them so they could get some ideas. :)

I wanted to use a lot of natural wood.
But, my wife did not want our place to look like a cabin...
She still calls it a cottage!

HaydensMom

Hi Jimmy,
I was just quickly looking through all your pictures. I am more of a visual person I think!! Anyways your homes is looking great. You guys must be very proud. Lots of ideas for me to steal when we finally get around to building our house!! So I really appericate all the pictures. :) I love the Christmas pictures. It kind of reminds me of little house on the paririe. LOL, the fabric on your cupboards. My grandparents moved into their house while in the process of building like you guys and that is what your Christmas kitchen pics remind me of.
Keep the pictures coming!!!

Jimmy_Cason

I started installing the cabinets in the kitchen this past Sunday (Sept.30,2007)
No more cupboard curtains! I bought the Lowes Unfinished Oak.
The lower cabinets are just "In Place" And need to be secured. I ran out of time and my wife wanted to see what it would look like!

[highlight]Fuzzy Cell Pic[/highlight]

glenn-k

Looks great, Jimmy, although we have found that we kind of like the curtains ourselves.  No doors to open and close and decor is easily changed - if the wife does it. :)

Jimmy_Cason

The kitchen area is 10' x 12' Measured from the outside of the counter tops
Unfinished oak cabinets from Lowes... Stained with english oak.

glenn-k

Really looking great, Jimmy.  We used a similar American Woodmark HD cabinet in our other house - The are holding up well.

Nice counters too.