Neat Hobby

Started by sparks, August 15, 2013, 08:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

A friend of mine turned me on to this a few days ago.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Any folks here doing this or ever heard of it?

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

southernsis

I have been intending to try it. Sounds fun.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

NM_Shooter

This is a hoot to do, especially with kids.  Many of the geocaches these days are micro caches, which I don't think is as much fun, but still a good way to spend the afternoon. 

We've planted a few as well, some as far north as mid-Ontario (which is mildly against the rules).  My brother and I visited one of our caches from 10 years ago in Ontario, which only had two visitors during that time.  One of them left a Leinenklugel beer in the cache too.   The beer was 7 years old and had been through as many winters.  We felt obligated to drink it, and it wasn't bad.  Then again I don't thing you can hurt a Leinenklugel  ;D
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

sparks

I think we found one of these at a railroad crossing we're working at near Elizabeth City, NC.

It was tucked underneath one of the crossing signals, a hide a key thingy......'micro cache' ??

Appeared to have a GPS notation, but the sign in sheet was quite damp and unreadable.

sparks

NM_Shooter

I bet you are right!  If you take the GPS coordinates of the spot, you can enter them into the Geocache web site, and it will find caches in the near vicinity. 

Some caches are set up like puzzles... you have to find clues to take you to sequential caches in order to complete the challenge.  There are a few varieties to this.

Sometimes a cache is found by a non-geocaching person, and they steal all or part of it.  The term for that is that a cache has been "Muggled".  Non-geocaching persons are referred to as Muggles.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

sparks

Hey Now,

Don't wanna be no kinda mugger!  :)

Didn't do a gps take on this. I still use a G'Z 1........

The paper inside the 'hide a key' pretty much indicated it was a cache find.

One of my crew has a 'good phone', we'll have a look.

Got my curiosity peaked now............

sparks