Sill plate ?

Started by 2zwudz, December 29, 2010, 09:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

I am in the beginning stages of building my cabin and I need you guys to give me some advice.
I asked many local lumber people at Lowes and Menards about if the sill gasket goes down before or after the termite shield under the sill plate and I couldnt get a for sure answer so I put the foam gasket on both sides thinking more is better.HAHAHA  Well after tightening all the bolts holding the sill plate to the foundation I noticed the sill plate has dips in it where I tightened the nuts to the foundation. When I put the floor joist rim boards down it has 1/4" gaps every where I tightened the sill plate to the foundation.  Should i just let the eventual weight of the cabin settle this or should I do something else.
Thanks
Mark

Redoverfarm

Mark on mine I just let common sense dictate.  I placed the foam sill between the termite shield and the sill plate.  Otherwise the shield will be of no value if there is a material below that they can eat and crawl through.  The termite shield should be bent to approximately 30 deg.  Being that is the angle that the so called "experts" say that the termites are unable to manuver that angle and will fall while attempting to climb up from the foundations.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.