My day job

Started by joe landscaper, February 12, 2006, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe landscaper

functional outhouse (plumbed with a modern toilet included in the landscape)                                   http://www.atkisonlandscape.com                                                                                
Do a lot of water features.

This is how I afford my Hobbies                                                                                                        

PEG688

Joe  No moon in the door , ain't a proper pooper without  the MOON vent  ;)

This is a interesting outhouse ,

Nice water feature  :) Yours that is not this sinkin boat/ outhouse. PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

joe landscaper

I agree, didn't think about it @ the time :-/  The little things we learn in life.

Sassy(Guest)

Hi Joe, I guess I could send ya pics of my day job but don't think you all would like to see some of the stuff I see in the ER  :o ...  my lunch break, so decided to take a look on Country Plans   :).

Joe, you think you can come by our cabin & build us a little pond & waterfall?  Nice work!  I like the outhouse, too, would fit right in with our decor.  But, on second thought, you may be too expensive for us  :-/.  

Jimmy C.

HI Joe, This is my day job.. I miss working outdoors. What am I talking about? I have been working outdoors every weekend for a year now!

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Billy Bob

Nice, Joe!
I'm taking a break from working on the set design for a landscape display at the Hartford Flower Show(Oh God, oh God, its next week!). I hope it comes out near as nice.  Its so much easier to do it in the dirt, 'stead of an Expo Center.
Bill

glenn kangiser

Neat machine Jimmy - - Big runs of parts or small?- does it run directly off of Autocad?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

QuoteNeat machine Jimmy - - Big runs of parts or small?- does it run directly off of Autocad?

This is a link to some of our stuff.
http://www.leatherwood.com/CRphoto-gallery.htm

The company I work for is pretty much a custom fabrication builder. We mostly build the equipment that is use to produce microchips for Lexmark, Texas Instruments, Raytheon, ect.

I pull shapes from an autocad drawing to create a flat drawing of all the structural components.
Then I nest the parts for the best material yield on a 4x8 or 5x10 sheet.
We use Polypropylene, PVC, Polycarbonate, and Stainless Steel.
I only touch the plastic.
The autocad drawing of the layout is exported to a program called Enroute.
This produces the toolpaths for the machine to follow.
Its a great job, As you see it is indoor work. It is a good think when it is 110 outside.
But, working indoors gets to be a drag after a few years.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

Jimmy C.

Joe, When I get to the landcaping part of my project I am looking you up for information. I love that water garden! I have a 3 foot wide by 130 ft. long lowspot running through my place. I think a lazy flowing stream would look amazing there. Has anyone ever seen this done?

jonsey/downunder

My day job, this baby will shift about 200 meg's a day.

What do you think Jimmy, I could set you up with one of these little rigs to run your water feature. You could have your very own Niagara Falls. We could probably run a little side line to Glenn's hot tub as well. :D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

That's a beauty Jonesy-- do you think my hot tub water would kill Jimmy's fish?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jonsey/downunder

Don't know about that Glenn, but you sure wouldn't want to be in the tub when she fire's up. ;D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

200 meg's - is that million litres?

What is the engine type and horsepower - if you know?

jonsey/downunder

Yep, 200 million litres. It's a Cummins 855, I think about 350HP not sure about that though. It's not a big pump as pumps go we are running some a lot bigger than this. This one will be used for irrigated pasture. It's lifting water out of the river (about 10 meters) and into a channel system, which runs for about 10 km to the paddocks. (Cattle and sheep).

joe landscaper

Jimmy, Not to diificult to accomplish, 6x140 40 mil epdm liner, 65 ft of 2" flexible pvc, 140 ft of 2"flexible pvc, 2  3000 gal per hour pumps, 2 filter/skimmer boxes, lots of rocks, don't make it straight, give it some gentle curves for a meandering look. Plant some  cool looking stuff in the curves, make bridge to cross it, use some mosquito fish or catfish out of Glenns hot tub otherwise the water will get real green with the heat in Texas. Aquascapes.com has some pretty simple do it yourself materials. If you send them a sketch of what you want to do they will give you a quote. I used to buy a lot of stuff from these guys but years of experience have taught me how to do it a little cheaper than buying kits. Kinda like houses, kits are easier they say but you pay for em.

glenn kangiser

Easy on the catfish, Joe---we're planning a barbecue in April.  They should be flavored just right by then. :-/

joe landscaper

Glenn, did I write that ;D Oh yeah I did.  Hey Jimmy, forgot to tell ya, if you have birds of prey around ie. ones that like fish, you might think about clear water but you will need chlorine which I don't like the smell of, or a pond bacteria that will help it create it's own ecosystem, and aquatic plants.

Amanda_931

Barley balls? for clear water ponds?

I've got a wet-weather pond up the hill.  Need to either make it permanent (hard--it's in a grove) or drain it (but the trees are used to it!)

But I'm thinking about permanent landscaping.

Jimmy C.

QuoteMy day job, this baby will shift about 200 meg's a day.

What do you think Jimmy, I could set you up with one of these little rigs to run your water feature. You could have your very own Niagara Falls. We could probably run a little side line to Glenn's hot tub as well. :D
Just amazing! That would pump our little 5 acre pond dry quick!

Jimmy C.

QuoteGlenn, did I write that ;D Oh yeah I did.  Hey Jimmy, forgot to tell ya, if you have birds of prey around ie. ones that like fish, you might think about clear water but you will need chlorine which I don't like the smell of, or a pond bacteria that will help it create it's own ecosystem, and aquatic plants.

We have an old dead tree behind the cottage that is used by buzzards or vultures. I dont think they are predators. But, It is kind of scary when I take a nap in the hammock and wake up to see one of those meat eaters looking down from the tree above me!