Adding a log wall...

Started by OlJarhead, May 01, 2019, 03:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Asked this in my thread but thought might get more responses here ;) (from those not following my cabin build which is more of a cabin ongoing adventure now) ;)

How does one add a D Log Butt and Pass type wall to a stick framed wall?

My thought is that I can cut out the 8" needed for the log wall to be recessed into the framed wall and then frame the wall with 2x6's on either side and one 2x8 across them (so like a 6x8" pocket inside the wall) then cut the D logs square at that end and slide them into the wall.  I can then chink them at the corner to ensure a good seal but leave them free floating inside the wall to allow for shrinkage that likely will occur.

In essence I'd build the back wall (12' deep) then the outside wall and the front wall (to the porch) and a log wall back to the main cabin (beside the porch) giving basically 3 walls with the corner walls of the cabin being the inside.  This addition would be L shaped around the corner of the cabin and made with 8" D logs.  The roof would be a 3.3x12 pitch to match the front porch but rise to 3.3x12 pitch (or higher) on the back side (in order to match the pitch and keep it reasonably strong).  I'll just run the rafters on the front back to the hip which will be set back from the corner to allow the 3.3x12 pitch of the porch to continue across the front.

The front will remain at 10 from the cabin like the porch but the side being 12' out will need a stronger roof.

ChugiakTinkerer

An alternative could be to secure a 2x4 (or whatever) to the frame wall and cut a spline notch in the end of each log.  That would probably be less work.  Downside is that after shrinkage there would likely be a visible gap.

Edit to add: If you notch into the wall like in the drawing you'll need to square off the ends of the logs to 8".  Unless you're going with timbers rather than D-logs.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

JRR

Would it look too awful just to make the notch recess by placing two 4x4's (or whatever) vertically against the frame wall at the correct spacing...well anchored, of course.  This would allow a lot of sealing /resealing opportunities as the wood ages.