Wisconsin Farmhouse Remodel

Started by Windpower, September 14, 2012, 09:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Just wonder what that inspector would do with an underground house. ???

rick91351

Quote from: Patrick on October 01, 2013, 08:04:24 PM
So is your lack of windows an egress situation or is the inspector telling you how your house has to look aesthetically?

I have had an inspector tell me the very opposite

I handed in a set of plans to our inspector two years ago.  A real Arts and Craft - Craftsman Style home we designed.  Today - I still love that plan  (We never built it after it was engineered and drawn.)  $3,000 down the  [toilet].  It was just too expensive to build. 

The inspector red lined the windows in the bedrooms big red X over each one.  They were double hung egress windows.  He wrote we had to change them to sliders.  I went in to orbit with him - his stand was it was so a fireman could get through them with an air pack.  (I could see his concern.)  However building it on the ranch as we would be.  And being so the closest organized fire district is an hour away and they cannot even come up here............  Further I doubt we would / will ever have an organized fire district up here with a hand full of families and at best two hundred people on the week ends around the forth of July.  We might have fifty full time people and they are scattered more than a hundred square miles.  There are no air packs I doubt there would ever be any air packs.  So I asked him per code show me where I have to use sliders.  He said something like that was my job to research it.  He wanted sliders.  I demanded he show me the code in Elmore County, State of Idaho or IRC I have too use sliders.  And they look like crap in that type home.  He would not back down but kept using phrases like - I want you to do this.  I don't care how it looks it is how it should be.

The the inspector would come back to the slider issue every time I would see him around the country or in the Planing and Zone office zoning office he would come back the window issue.  Latter he got fired or quit before he got fired jury is still out on that one.  We had another plan engineered and are building it now and it has single hung bedroom windows the new inspector never has said a word......
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

The IRC is specific with rules on that. I know WI does there own thing and may differ.....

IRC  R303.1 Habitable rooms.
All habitable rooms shall have an aggregate glazing area of not less than 8 percent of the floor area of such rooms. Natural ventilation shall be through windows, doors, louvers or other approved openings to the outdoor air. Such openings shall be provided with ready access or shall otherwise be readily controllable by the building occupants. The minimum openable area to the outdoors shall be 4 percent of the floor area being ventilated.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_3_par081.htm

There are exceptions listed as well
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Patrick

So then his 3x4 window should be good for 150 sq. ft. room? I dont know about everyone else but I only use the bedroom to sleep and the darker the better .I think me and this guy would not get along.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

rough in plumbing is done (including the rough in for the  - maybe someday-  future apartment)

So we are "waiting for the 'inspector' or someone like him" (-- any Firesign Theatre fans here  ;D

A little 'theater of the absurd' seems apropos when dealing with building inspectors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I2PjLna4C0

but I digress......

anyway the tile is going in upstairs in the laundry and bath

we have ordered the flooring (6500 pounds of bamboo hardwood) but haven't picked it up yet since they want it to acclimate for a week in 70 degrees of heated (or cooled I guess) space to eliminate warping or expansion or shrinkage etc and the upstairs furnace is not hooked up and working.....but the propane hook up is coming today too

a busy day and since the sun is coming up I am 'burning daylight'

more later..........
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Windpower

Lots of  milestones this week so far

Sunday we picked up the 6400 pounds of bamboo flooring --- that was a job to unload but I did have a neighbor to help

All the drywall is mudded and ready for paint

Upstairs is nearly painted (all by my hardworking wife)

the wood-stove is operational and warming up the downstairs quite nicely during our brisk fall weather  (the valleys got frost a couple nights and ago we were in the mid 30's)

Anyway the stove is drying out the drywall mud ---

New propane tank hooked up and operational

the second floor furnace is working (via a jury rigged extension cord  ::) ) but heat none the less

I got the water heater hooked up and running yesterday

last night we were really looking forward to a nice hot shower

but guess what--  the water coming into the shower was only slightly warm even with the water heater turned up near its maximum temp-- no adjustment of the Kohler 'rite temp' mixer made any difference    ???

I even read the directions !!

I gave up finally and we ate a late dinner and no shower (since the health club was closed by then too

So this morning at 3:30 I woke up determined get the *$##^& shower working

turns out he downstairs shower does the same thing

!!!! two defective mixers ?!?!?    ??? ???

At this point I was thinking I hooked up the water heater wrong somehow

Then I saw it --- the plumbers that were here to 'help' get the water lines working, instead of capping the stub-outs for the first floor vanity they coupled the hot and cold stub-outs together  --- this equalized the hot and cold line pressure so that no hot water would mix in the shower valve

d* d*

thanks guys

thanks alot

so I installed shut off valves on the hot and cold stub outs for the downstairs vanity ( like they should have done) and viola the showers work -- man is that going to feel good this morning

Next I am going to learn how to do hardwood flooring

Oh I almost forgot -- we took delivery of the custom cabinets Monday -- they look beautiful even just sitting in the garage

Redoverfarm

Sounds like you are nearing the home stretch.   ;)

Windpower

There does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel (hope it isn't the headlight of the on-coming train)

We may be able to 'camp out inside the house this weekend

I am going to jury rig a kitchen sink (since ours is on back order)

the inspector hinted that he might give us a sign off with a kitchen sink

Windpower

Temporary kitchen sink is working

I has been really nice for cleaning the paint sprayer since it has been in the 20's every night with highs in the low 40's during the day

We fininshed the interior painting yesterday  ! thanks in large part to my wife the painting maniac
(I think the total was 30 gallons primer and 22 gallons of finish coat) most sprayed on with the Graco sprayer but a lot applied the old fashioned way with brush and roller

it looks great

doors delivered yesterday

after this brief paint delay I will be back at the flooring today

good thing the wood stove is working downstairs since the downstairs  furnace is still in-op (heck it is still sitting in the garage)

The furnace guy showed up for a couple hours tues and hooked the gas line into the new clothes dryer --- but did not have the vent pipe --- needed to go back to the shop (isn't vent pipe a normal thing to have for a dryer hookup ?!)

maybe he'll show up today  ::)

Windpower

Sunday morning, sunny and beautiful

We have finished the dry wall priming and painting

(we joke that we would get the downstairs primed 'if it kilz us') --it didn't (quite)

We have started on the flooring -- we like it but it is slow to put down -- (OK I am slow)

Our venerable wood stove has been keeping the house warm (for a while it was heating the whole house but now we have the upstairs furnace operational but not complete

Windpower

The HVAC guys finally completed the installation of the downstairs furnace yesterday

not a moment too soon either as it was down to 12  degrees F last night

also we have  fully functioning bathroom now -- (well the door isn't on ...)

electricians should be here this week to finish the power downstairs....it will be nice to get rid of the 5 or 6 extension cords and multiple power strips

we are doing a Green Acres "You can't plug in a 2 with a 6" re-creation here   

We can't plug in the microwave with the toaster oven....

I should get some pics .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL5z3UXcMK8

rick91351

AHH Green Acres back when TV seemed to be a heck of a lot more entertaining - well that was if you had enough power to run the TV at the time.  As you know it is all based on sevens.  A six and a one - six being the small black and white TV and the one the can opener.   ;)  Thanks for the morning lift... [cool]

By the way we went through a Green Acres moment when we moved the big fifthwheel down to the valley to get it repaired.  It was the telephone, grab the phone go over to the drop - check for messages - make the call unhook the phone.  One day I got sidetracked and forgot the phone.  A driving rain and snow storm hit - soaked the phone.  When I found it.  It sort of sounded like an aquarium pump and bubbler.....       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

OK, it isn't pretty, but it works (as long as you don't forget and start the microwave with the toaster oven -- they both must be 7's)

Windpower

Opening day deer season

in a word cold

12 degrees and 20 mph wind -- wind chill   minus 6

I still have my tags .....

Windpower

Update:

This morning it 'warmed up',  the was temp was 4 degrees, wind chill only minus 3

I was just about ready to come in and warm up when a spike horn buck about 120 pounds walked by -- should be good eating

pics later after breakfast and check in

Windpower

The last couple months have been challenging

I started the bamboo flooring and it is almost done

We are getting the tile finished this week (hopefully)

The new appliances are supposed to be delivered today -- I just barely got the plumbing ready for the dishwasher and ice maker last night

It will be nice to have a real kitchen after 7 months without one

maybe I will have time to post some pics later   

Windpower

We are nearing completion.

A bit of trim, a couple doors, a couple sinks and we are ready for the movers 

The floor is done -- this was the last room

[/URL]][/img]

Foyer and stairs (that is the kitchen in the back of the pic)

We have been using the wood stove more since the last propane was $3.88/ gallon   (!!)

The kitchen for our first Christmas

Our "custom sink' 

Here is the kitchen with a few cabinets ( and another 'custom sink')

This was a pain in the neck. The drain for the upstairs furnace froze (it was minus 24) and overflowed -- I now have heat tape on it

the laundry is done

Windpower

The kitchen is almost done. the vent hood and one cabinet to go.

The kitchen today:

MountainDon

That's looking real nice.

Happy homemaker   :) :) :)

Windpower

Thank you, Don

we are quite happy with it

Minus 12 this morning and I am reluctant to go outside for more wood for the stove --thank goodness for propane (even at $3.88 a gallon) --- next winter I will have the wood supply better organized (I hope)

mwhutch

Wow looks great! I really love your stairs and newel post! Do you mind if I ask how did you attach them to the stair treads? We are getting close to installing finished stairs, and most of the videos show round posts with dowels on them.

rick91351

Looks great - I have to chuckle your kitchen cabinets look a lot like the ones Ellen picked out.   ;) 

Floors turned out very well.

Enjoy, please keep us updated.

Windpower

MW

the square balusters have round ends on them -- they drilled holes into the treads (using a jig) and glued them in place

the Newel post goes through the tread with a square hole and is bolted into the floor joist below

Rick

Thanks, the cabinets are custom built locally (they were cheaper and better than big box off-the-shelf ones) Tam did the design (maybe it is a quilt/sewing thing   ;)

It is good to be retiring from the flooring bizz

new land owner