Birds On A Wire

Started by sparks, May 01, 2015, 11:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

Uh, uh ,  hhmmm it's late and I forgot how I was going put this forth.......

But it has something to do with birds sitting on power lines.......

Hopefully I'll gather my thoughts soon........

My wife says that she thinks I'm losing it........

But I reassure her by telling her that you can't lose something you never had in the first place.......
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

firefox

My wife keeps a small bag of marbles just in case. She says I wont notice the difference
especially since they are all clearies.......
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Gary O

You guys.....are.....HILARIOUS!
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Adam Roby

I sometimes come here to get a sanity check... but for some reason my visit is not always very productive.   d*

rick91351

Quote from: Adam Roby on May 18, 2015, 07:27:04 PM
I sometimes come here to get a sanity check... but for some reason my visit is not always very productive.   d*

'bout as productive as trying to push a rope on your evening walk...... :D 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

sparks

Well, I'm back.......

Working in Alabama and it's hotter than Hades here; pulled the pin on the job for the day and returned to the motel......been messing with the computer and ended up here.........

Aaah yes, the Birds On A Wire.......

In my travels over the years to and from the Quad Cities airport in Illinois, I've noticed at one particular spot that birds, mostly pidgeons, have a tendency to sit on a very particular span of electric transmission line. They sit on the very top wire, the arrestor line. At exit 6, on I-88, where Il 92 crosses over the interstate.

I-88 runs in some what of a SW to NE direction and Il 92 a bit of NW to SE at this point.....exit 6.

The birds sit on the span just east of the interstate.....along the Il 92 path......not over the interstate...... not to the west....

But always over the east approach that goes over the interstate........sometimes they're there...sometimes not

Some clues........

The arrestor line is on the very top of 70 to 80 feet poles.....there are two sets of three phase lines on it....wood poles

The approach of IL 92 over the interstate is directly underneath this span

The prevailing winds are SW-W-NW

There is a hog processing plant at Joslin, IL about a half mile to the east

"Up in the sky....the birds on a wire
    a place so much higher
    why are you there.......
    could I inquire?"

sparks

sparks

Rick

Pushing rope along is tough, no doubt

But I'm having a big problem trying to finish drilling a hole in a bucket of water.......hard water at that.......

S

hpinson

Anyone interested in a mail-order bride?  I thought not...

Adam Roby

Quote from: hpinson on June 24, 2015, 12:19:42 AM

With my experience, you are almost guaranteed to get a defective unit.  Imagine the RMA costs for such a device!   :)
Can't wait for the cyborg replacements to come along, hopefully in my lifetime.  Anyone watch the new show called "Humans"?  Oh, sorry for the thread jack, my mind started to wonder, I blame the heavy drugs I am on post surgery.

Every time I see those birds on the wires like that I can't help but to think of sheet music.  Too bad I only read tablature, I guess the theory of having a bunch of monkeys in a room with typewriters making a novel would be similar to a bunch of birds on the lines writing a masterpiece arrangement.

rick91351

Quote from: hpinson on June 24, 2015, 12:19:42 AM

Interesting concept I laugh however my great grand father and great grandmother 'got together' with an on line dating service.  Well back then it was the US mail.  The more things change the more they remain the same....  We actually have copies of some of the letters. 1800's and I would like to correspond with number thirty nine.....   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

Quote from: rick91351 on June 24, 2015, 10:59:01 AM
...We actually have copies of some of the letters...

Without getting into specifics, what kind of conversations did they have back then?  When read do they sound the way we would have today, or are they different?  I would assume much more polite, not racy or provocative...  maybe, "one day I hope to see your ankle!  Golly gee, hope the lord does not strike me down for such blasphemy."

Now-a-days there are 12-year olds sending nudy (or close to) shots to their boyfriends, nothing is off limits it seems.  Boy do I sound old...

rick91351

Quote from: Adam Roby on June 24, 2015, 11:24:19 AM
Without getting into specifics, what kind of conversations did they have back then?  When read do they sound the way we would have today, or are they different?  I would assume much more polite, not racy or provocative...  maybe, "one day I hope to see your ankle!  Golly gee, hope the lord does not strike me down for such blasphemy."

Now-a-days there are 12-year olds sending nudy (or close to) shots to their boyfriends, nothing is off limits it seems.  Boy do I sound old...

You have to remember this was a long long time before the sexual revolution.  People back then could actually communicate without going to the gutter or talking about sex.  They wrote each other a lot about life and how they understood it and what they believed it should be.  It centered a lot more around Judeo - Christian ideas.  Both were educated.  They chose to move off up here and homestead.  Idaho was a territory still.  His father was a very accomplished pioneer and business man.  Early Boise settler....

I own an 80 acre parcel that was part of their homestead.  She was very proper.  She opened the first school up here.  He William because state senator, ranched and farmed.  They had a lot of property here in Idaho.  He fell over dead in the black smith shop most likely an aneurism.  That said in all honesty I do not understand people today.  To me it is so shocking listening to people communicate  now.  WOW We were never that potty mouthed in the switch-man shanty getting ready to go to work.  Red Skeleton famous comedian who did a lot of stand up at burlesque shows then latter in television always said it is easy to stand up and toss out dirty or off color jokes and get laughs.  Anybody can do that so he claimed.  But it takes a real comedian to do it clean.       

That said of course there was some premarital sex.  There was kids born out of wed lock.  Shotgun weddings.... Honor killings then was more like some dad or uncle or brother killing whoever got someone pregnant.  Not not the poor lady getting her throat slit or a bullet or a hammer between the eyes.  Really hard for me to understand the my world today......           

sparks

"Anyone interested in a mail-order bride?  I thought not..."

What point are you trying to make with this comment .....Mr Hp?

And what does it have to 'birds on a wire' ?

Sparks

hpinson

Deleted the mail-order bride spam - which some here commented on.  It has nothing to do with the original topic. Apologies and carry on.

ramkumar90

In my travels over the years to and from the Quad Cities airport in Illinois, I've noticed at one particular spot that birds, mostly pidgeons, have a tendency to sit on a very particular span of electric transmission line. They sit on the very top wire, the arrestor line. At exit 6, on I-88, where Il 92 crosses over the interstate.

sparks

And an apologize to you Mr Hp.......spam is weird stuff....

The Birds On A Wire thread was meant to be a puzzle ........why are they doing this??

I was hoping there might be an aviary expert snooping around to help us out ........didn't work out like that .........

Strange things happening here at CP off topics.........people logging in for the first time.....making low blow comments......

Jeez, 

Home Grown, StinkerBell, Sassy, Glenn,........where you guys hiding at??

MushCreek

I once saw a bird land on the WRONG spot on a wire. High voltage, and a little too close to a ground, I guess. There was a tiny orange fire ball, and the bird fell to the ground, still smoking. I don't know what it started out as, but it definitely turned into a black bird.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.