Work bench

Started by Chuckca, September 30, 2006, 03:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

My garage is full already...but I need a larger work bench and a table saw.  An idea hit me....build a work bench  that incorporates a table saw and a small drill press.  The bench would be 8-10'  long and 30" wide.  Anyone have ldeas where I can get FREE plans? Open to ideas.  Thanks!

PEG688

One of my cabinetmaker co worker / friend made his bench/ saw table . Basically he built IIRC 5 lower cab base's , figured out how wide / long/ high he wanted it . Your needs will vary , anyway 3 cabs on one side , two on the other with a lowered middle section that the saw fit into flush with the top . the top was two layer of High denisty particle brd , with a P-lam top with oak self edge , the top over hung all the way around so stuff can be clamped to it easely . The lower cabs where screwed to each other and had doors with shelfs in them. he made a sub bottom out of a peice of 3/4 plwood / 2x4 or 6's on the flat for added stiffness and put lock able wheels on the four corners so he could roll it around / outside on to the driveway when he had to .

The drill press would be a problem but doable with some thought. Built right it was and is a solid work table / saw table etc . Not as solid as one with fixed legs but hey life is full of  compromise ;)My own fixed saw table is at 38" or so , higher than most but I'm 6'2" so it works well for me . BTW my other bench is slighlty lower , 1/2" so sheet goods can slide over when pushed thru the saw , but can be used as added support easly witha 1/2" shim when needed.      
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

PEG wrote:

QuoteBTW my other bench is slighlty lower , 1/2" so sheet goods can slide over when pushed thru the saw , but can be used as added support easly witha 1/2" shim when needed.

That might be a good idea for a sewing table as well.

Jens

This months issue of Shop Notes has a good set of plans for one in it.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!