Dave and Kim's 1 1/2 story 20x40 cabin pics

Started by David.DiPietro, February 10, 2009, 07:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David.DiPietro

We broke ground before winter.  Here are some pics of our property in preparation for the cabin to be built this spring.

The View from where the cabin will stand:

Septic System being put in:

Plenty of firewood!  Still have tons of cutting to do  d*

Where excavator cleared for driveway and lot:

Mike 870

If you don't mind what are the details on the septic system.  Did you run into any design challenges.  What is the plastic part for the effluent called?  Infiltrator or something?  Looks like a beautiful spot.

diyfrank

Nice looking area.  What part of the country are you?
Home is where you make it

David.DiPietro

The cabin site is in West Virginia in Slatyfork about six miles from Snow Shoe Ski Resort. We are looking forward to spring getting here so we can continue working.

Mike, you are right.  It is called the infiltrator and is 200ft with a 1000 gallon holding tank per West Virginia requirements for 2 bedroom home.

glenn kangiser

That matches the current septic requirements here in CA pretty close.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

David.DiPietro

It's been a long time since we have updated on our cabin building progress.  Here are some pictures that show the progress so far.  We got 3 feet of snow this weekend so we are on hold until things thaw out.  Hopefully, electric, plumbing and interior woodwork will come next.

Footers

First Beam

I joists and sub floor

Deck is done.  Do you like my helpers?

First wall

I made a wall jack out of 2x6x16 boards nailed together with block and tackle

12 foot walls, 8 foot first floor and roughly 3 foot 3 inches left over for second floor.  I joists to hide 2nd floor plumbing

2nd floor bedroom/bathroom area

Rafters going up, site built

We flipped them up one at a time

Metal roof from Home Depot

4x12 beams over living room

House wrap and windows (from Craigslist)

1x12 tongue and groove rough faced white pine siding

Upstairs bathroom, bedroom, closet framed and 2x8 tongue and grove wood flooring

1st floor bedroom, bathroom and laundry as in John's plans

devildog

Welcome back! thats really good progress for a year. It looks great.

Im  building just a little south of you in Va.,not going near as fast as you, but lived in WV for 17yrs. Its a beautiful place.

Where did you get your 2x8 t&g? Local Sawmill?

look forward to seeing the rest.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

David.DiPietro

Thanks Darrell.  I got the 2x8's at Twin Creeks Log Home Supply in North Carolina.  Where in VA are you building?

glenn kangiser

Great job and great crew from the little ones up. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Dave I wondered what happened to you.  I sent you a couple E-mails to check on your status but didn't get a reply.  If you would have hollered I would have given you a hand.  Doesn't look like you needed it though. Yes the snow was a little deeper toward the mountain but ours was enough to put me out of comission for a while.

David.DiPietro

Hi John!  Sorry if I missed emails.  I am not good about checking and replying regularly.  I get distracted easily.  I actually got the family to come out some and also broke down and ended up hiring some local guys to help with the roof to get it done before winter hit.  My neighbor said the mound from the plows off of Rt 219 is so high at the entrance to both our lots that we might have to hire someone with heavy equipment to just open up driveways to get to our lots.  Apparently, it's a mess.  My neighbor had some renters coming at the beginning of the week and they couldn't get in so he had to refund them $1200.  Ouch!  Hope all is well with you.  Still would love to see you out there sometime.  Have a good holiday!

Dave and Kim

cbc58

Looks good... can't wait to see interior progress.

I have a question on your siding... is it beveled?  Is it lapped or tounge and groove?  Are there any issues with moisture/water getting in the joints by the way you've done it?  I like the look vs. horizontal.

David.DiPietro

It's tongue and groove siding.  We are just butting the ends together.  From what I have read we shouldn't have a problem with leaking and haven't so far.  We put a 12 inch overhang around the whole house so that should help.  We are going to caulk any large cracks and cover with a sealant.

poppy

Good looking cabin.  Nice proportions.  [cool]

That's a very clever gin pole set up for raising the walls too.  It's not as complicated as some I've seen.

devildog

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Sassy

Looks great!  Really like the windows & the siding.  Amazing that you found all the windows on Craigslist.  Whenever I look there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good stuff, well, at least not what I'm looking for. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

RainDog

Looks really great! Can't wait for interiors.
NE OK

cbc58

Does anyone know if doing this siding the way he's done it will cause any problems with water hitting the joints and getting in?   I hope it's fine the way he's done it because that's what I would like to do... and I can't imagine a problem with the overlap, but would like to get confirmation from an expert here...

MountainDon

As long as the T&G is dried so it won't shrink and open up the joints, and as long as the Tongue points up into the Groove above it, I don't see why there should be a problem.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

David.DiPietro

Quote from: cbc58 on December 26, 2009, 04:00:30 PM
Does anyone know if doing this siding the way he's done it will cause any problems with water hitting the joints and getting in?   I hope it's fine the way he's done it because that's what I would like to do... and I can't imagine a problem with the overlap, but would like to get confirmation from an expert here...

cbc58,

Hi there.  We found the siding from the following website.  Seems to be a popular company and I haven't heard of any problems.  My next door cabin neighbor in WV has 1x10 tongue and groove and his cabin is 18 years old and he hasn't had any problems.  If gaps do develop, they can be caulked.  Let me know if you have any more questions.  We bought our actual siding from Twin Creeks Log Home Supply in NC.  Thanks.  Here is the link in case you are interested.....

http://www.octagonhomes.com/logsiding/

David.DiPietro

Quote from: poppy on December 23, 2009, 02:49:26 PM
Good looking cabin.  Nice proportions.  [cool]

That's a very clever gin pole set up for raising the walls too.  It's not as complicated as some I've seen.

Thanks!  Me and one other guy were able to lift the entire 40 foot section with just two of these set up.  It wasn't easy but we did it.   d*

David.DiPietro

Quote from: Sassy on December 26, 2009, 01:37:11 PM
Looks great!  Really like the windows & the siding.  Amazing that you found all the windows on Craigslist.  Whenever I look there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good stuff, well, at least not what I'm looking for. 

We lucked out with the windows.  Actually bought them months before we started building since they were such a good deal and designed the house around those windows  ;) 

cbc58

Tks for the info.  I have used that siding vertically before and it is so easy to put up.  Was just worried about moisture/water getting in the joints -- but 18 years of no problems tells me I worry too much.  Tks for the link.  Can't wait to see the inside finish work...

Jens

I am a big fan of wall jacks, and those are very nice and simple.  Good job improvising (and saving $1000).  Cabin looks great.  Are the ladies throwing gang signs, or is it a Michael Jackson tribute band?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

David.DiPietro

We haven't posted in forever.  We are almost done with the cabin.  We still need to put the back deck/hot tub on and stain inside and out.  The family was able to stay in it last weekend and have it fully functioning.  :)  Here are some pictures of our spring progress:

Waste Pipe

We used pex pipe and installed a manifold with the hot water heater in the downstairs bathroom

Hallway

Upstairs rec room

Upstairs bath with shower

Downstairs full bath

Another view of downstairs bath

I bought 4 pieces of granite off Craigslist for $350

View of upstairs bedroom and stove pipe

Wood stove in main living area

Finished kitchen

View of front of cabin.  Screened in porch has since been finished.

View from screened in porch

Another porch view

Wood stove

Little helpers

View of kitchen and washer and dryer in back

New log dining set

Kids with the newest family member

First family dinner at new table

View of the first floor from the stairway