Recent posts

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Sure enjoyed our home buil...
Last post by JRR - January 31, 2024, 11:47:04 AM
Dang!!  I have little of value to say.. I'm very sorry it happened.  Thanks for sharing with others, we all now have a chance to re-think whatever precautions we have in place for all hazards.

Did it happen at night?  Perhaps you were lucky to be away.  

I hope your spirit mends fully.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - January 30, 2024, 04:52:39 PM
Version 3.4.6 - 01.30.2024
- Added a "Dimension to Centerline" option for framing dimensions in the General tab of the Global Settings.
- Enabled centerline dimensioning for openings, columns and SSW for rectangular walls.
- Added a "Style 5" (Pull Plate) to the built-in door hardware options.
- Added more options for grid style window grilles: 3X4, 4X5, 5X6.

All updates per customer requests.
Owner-Builder Projects / Sure enjoyed our home built ho...
Last post by zion-diy - January 29, 2024, 09:18:48 PM
Built it in 2006. I remember the heat we took when I said I was using screws instead of nails. Well, The old house held up to everything nature could throw at us. F-4 tornado, major ice storm, freezing cold, sweltering heat, and we and we came out just fine. Kept improving the land we owned. (38 acres)
Yep, we held up to everything, and then, a lousy squirrel brought it to an end. 
We were visiting my brother in Fl. when I got a call from my friend. Told me the house had burned to the ground. 
Investigators determined that a squirrel had gotten into the eve and chewed the main entrance wire. 
I'm crushed and I just don't have it in me to build another house. 

General Forum / Re: Metal roofing to wood, scr...
Last post by MountainDon - January 29, 2024, 03:24:59 PM
Wood screws (with the metal and neoprene washers) through the flats to the sheathing.  Self drilling metal-to-metal shorter screws (with the metal/neoprene washers) through ribs where one rib overlaps the rib on the other panel. The screws do not penetrate the sheathing. Those same screws are used for securing rake end trim, snow guards, etc. .
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - January 29, 2024, 01:41:40 PM
:) Yup!  Met too!

Just got back from another trip working on the new location.  Lots to do but getting there!  Now, about the water seeping into the back room...  ???
Last post by jsahara24 - January 29, 2024, 11:10:27 AM
Little chilly eh....haha....Glad you got it worked out..
General Forum / Re: Metal roofing to wood, scr...
Last post by johnwinston - January 29, 2024, 11:08:49 AM
I'm diving into the whole metal roofing scene, and man, the debate on where to screw those metal roofing panels down is a real head-scratcher. Some say flats, some say ribs, and then there's the combo crowd.

I've been mulling over this and thought, why not mix it up a bit? Along the eaves and ends, I'm thinking screws through the flats, every 12 inches. But when it comes to the main roof, maybe stick to the outer ribs, spaced at 24 inches. It's like trying to get the best of both worlds – less risk of leaks and still a solid grip.
Last post by OlJarhead - January 29, 2024, 07:47:31 AM
Last post by Medeek - January 29, 2024, 01:02:34 AM
Version 3.4.5b - 01.28.2024
- Fixed a bug with holdowns for in-wall columns.
- Fixed a bug with the bottom plate cutting algorithm for in-wall columns.
Last post by Medeek - January 28, 2024, 03:34:42 AM
Version 3.4.5 - 01.28.2024
- Added two additional column types for in-wall columns: Custom, Blank.
- Three additional parameters added for custom in-wall columns.
- Added a custom label option and annotation section for in-wall columns.
- Updated the javascript logic within the License tab of the Global Settings.

Technically this update is a bit redundant because one can already configure custom in-wall columns within the global settings.  However, this new option gives one the ability to insert any sort of column into the wall (non-wood) as well as a blank opening where one could then insert their own manually modeled column or structural support.

The custom label option applies to all column types, so it can override the auto labeling algorithm of the module.

This update per customer request.