Wisconsin Farmhouse Remodel

Started by Windpower, September 14, 2012, 09:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

A quick visit Sunday showed real progress.

The trusses and windows are on site and the second floor framing has begun

Looking down the upstairs hallway from the garage

They found and fixed an error in my plans that added 20 inches to the width of the 'sewing room'

nice to have carpenters that think things through -- he did call me after he corrected the error to ask if I wanted the window moved over -- yes, thank you

Master bath framed in -- this is the window in the tub alcove

east wall -- the peak will be about 4 feet higher than he garage peak seen way in the back of this pic
the headered off section in the center first floor will be the bump out for the wood stove

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Windpower

I almost forgot

we found a few morels

Redoverfarm

Think you need to overnight them to me so I can test them for toxicity. ;D  Nice progress on the house.

Windpower

You are invited up  next year for testing, Red -- and the accommodation should be better too

we're having asparagus soup with morels tonight 

Windpower

Progress even in the Wisconsin monsoon season (it has been a record month for rain in WI)

trusses are up -- second floor mostly framed in before the rains hit

[/URL]

front elevation

[/URL]

bedroom windows

[/URL]

bedroom/bath

[/URL]

east gable end

[/URL]

hopefully the rains will stop soon and they can get the roof on 

Windpower

it rained most of last week so the tire ruts from the sky trak are almost 2 feet deep in places
(We are going to landscape all this anyway so no big deal)

but we are dried in -- not a moment too soon, more rain for the next 3 days

ruts in the back yard

front elevation

back

The house peak is a few feet taller than the garage but they framed it nicely matching the pitch of the garage roof

our morning east view from MB

(this hotel internet is a pita --- I'll post more pics later

Windpower

quick visit yesterday

almost shingled

talked to mike this morning -- they got 3 1/2 inches of rain last night --- they are working inside today

this is the bump out for the woodstove

Redoverfarm

You might consider a couple of things concerning your stove location.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to wire a recepticle someplace close.  In the future (or now) you may have a blower on the/a stove.  If at some point you get too old to cut firewood ( I am almost there)   ;)   you may upgrade to a gas unit in place of the woodn burner.  Be nice to have a nippled pipe close for that purpose.  On my cabin I burn the wood fireplace now but plumbed it with a gas line "just in case".   Just a couple of thoughts. 

Windpower

Thanks Red I'll take that under advisement.

Interior framing and shingling is 98% done -- probably finish 'stage one' today

Then the 'fun' starts with the mechanicals .....

pics later

Windpower

Soooo a lot a has happened in the last few weeks

I just saw June 17 for the last post    WHOAAA

here's the cliff notes version....

We sold our house in CL

We moved out into storage and a camper

The county decided to stop construction on the house because --why --- "just because" Really it is because they need the money --- just keep writing checks.....

We now have  a permit

We now have started construction again

did I mention we are living in a 25' borrowed camper.....

did I mention the flash flood 6/26 --the day before the appraisal for the home sale .....it worked out

Dump truck number 11 just left its load for the septic tank fill (it is 7:15 PM and I just had my "solar shower" since we have no running water

some pics:

the new septic field

Front elevation  (the colors look way better than this --(thanks to my dear  wife)

Windpower

This was a very busy week

We now have an approved septic system

The inspector approved the garage for power

the power company connected the power and we now have the well pump operational (without the generator)

Running water is nice !

the next two weeks we hope to have the plumbing and Heating and AC mostly in

the same contractor that put in the  POWTS  (that's Wisconsin for Privately Owned Water Treatment System) is doing the plumbing and HVAC

They did a good job so far and even dug out the stump from the spruce tree I had to cut down last fall

The only problem the inspector saw for the rough-in was that the front bedroom upstairs was deficient in window area (this is the one with the dormer) The area was fine for ventilation but deficient in light  ::) --there is no place to put another window

there are 4 remedies we discussed:  a skylight (NOT going to happen), remove the closet (thus making it a "non bedroom"), put in a transome opening from the master BR to the front BR (conveniently located over the master bed) or leave the doorways open to the front bedroom and the master bedroom thus allowing more light to enter the front bedroom  from the master BR  ::)

I think we'll leave the doors off  ;)

Things may slow down in September as the carpenters will be elk hunting in Colorado

I asked them if they wouldn't rather be hanging drywall -- they said 'no'

I said "then at least bring me back some elk meat"

So I guess this will be home sweet home for another couple months (at least there is plenty of light and window area  for our 55 sq ft bedroom)

Windpower

Plumbing and H/AC starts tomorrow -- not a moment too soon --the same sub is doing both so hopefully they will play well with each other. we are trying to get the downstairs bath functional so we can have real showers and the luxury of  a flushing toilet

A couple weeks ago I woke up about 5 AM to thundershowers that lasted to about 7

when I went out to the pole barn I looked down to see a partial track about 3 1/2 inches around

there have been sightings of cougars in the area (about 80 mile west of Madison)  and an 80 pound wolf killed about 12 miles from here last week (farmer had lost several calves this spring and obtained a permit from the DNR)

So I took several pics up close in the mud

According to what I have seen on the internet the tracks have all the characteristics of a mature cougar

more round than a dog track, the hind leg pads show a definite longer inside toe, the tracks were falling atop each other as well

So with the 45 pound grand son visiting here we took appropriate 3 1/2 inch 12 GA buckshot precautions and put out a game cam

nothing on the game cam yet (except deer of course)---last year we saw lots of tracks inside the pole barn (it looked like it was squeezing under a sliding door that has about 15" of open space under it -perhaps the unoccupied pole barn gave it a nice dry den -- no one has lived here for about 20 years -- just occasional week- ends

anyway here are the pics:

that is a 6 inch Hanson square for reference

[/URL][/img]

Here is the length of stride referenced to a 4 foot level

this is not too easy to see in th epic but it is one print on top of another

PorkChopsMmm

Wonderful progress. That looks like one big cat!

Windpower

Lots of folks have seen cougars around here -- officially the DNR says there aren't any

still waiting to get him (or her) on the game cam...........

PorkChopsMmm

I can see why the DNR does not recognize them -- if they do they have to put policies and procedures in place for dealing with them. If the population is small then it could create a waterfall affect of regulations/laws for a small population of animals.

Do you all have a specific timeframe for moving in? Also, do you have your offgrid plans solidified yet? Your house and land look great.

Windpower

We still hope to have our occupancy sign off by end of Sept -- we may not have everything done though

solar is on hold 'til spring I think -- it is a very big project and we have to have a decent roof over our heads first

right now we are 24-7 getting the house done

we do take time to enjoy the evenings -- the stars are very bright and it cools off nicely

Windpower

September update  (almost exactly one year from breaking ground last Sept)

Drywall is nearly complete upstairs

plumbing nearly done

paint, flooring, cabinets and trim left

We may start the paint upstairs  this weekend

I have lots of pictures that I'll post later today if I get time

PorkChopsMmm

Did you get your occupancy permit?

Windpower

No occupancy permit yet

we need the wiring and pumbing complete (at least a working sink toilet and shower --I think heat maybe too  :-\

another 3 weeks I think

MountainDon

Quote from: Windpower on September 27, 2013, 01:42:55 PM
--I think heat maybe too  :-\

another 3 weeks I think

Here the place has to be ready to occupy; completed in all respects. I have seen small exceptions made for something like the floor tile. The homeowner was wanting to tile the entire house and had a delay. The city gave him the certificate without the floor being finished. It was a concrete slab.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

Here it depends on the inspector

I am not sure how to take this guy yet ---- I think he will cut some slack but then he was psycho about window room light in one bedroom  ???

anyway we continue to soldier on

off to home depot and lumber liquidators this morning

rick91351

Quote from: Windpower on September 27, 2013, 01:42:55 PM
No occupancy permit yet

we need the wiring and pumbing complete (at least a working sink toilet and shower --I think heat maybe too  :-\

another 3 weeks I think

Pretty much the same here.  Working sink, toilet and shower.  BTW it has to be a shower.  It can be a bath tub shower combo of course but it has to have a working shower.  Our new neighbor three miles away just found that out.  I think up here you can be ten fifteen miles away and still be a neighbor up here.  ;)  Electrical has to have J boxes covered or plated as well as outlets and switches.

We are planing to make a real run for that as well.  We really do no want to have to skirt and fight the snow in the fifthwheel and in the new construction as well.  Would like to be in there for the winter doing the finish work and the this and that.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Windpower

Finally got some pics (and a wee bit of time to post them)

first some pics of grandson hanging out -- a 6 yo doing what 6 yo's do

[/URL][/img]

visited a cave

drywall going in Note semi-circle window in garage, too)

master BR -- sure looks different with drywall

light deficient BR closet

more later, have to go to work

Patrick

So is your lack of windows an egress situation or is the inspector telling you how your house has to look aesthetically?

Windpower

No problem with egress no problem with ventilation (it has a 4' X 3' ) casement window

it is strictly a 'sunlight ' issue

d*