The Rebuild 26x52 two story

Started by dablack, May 18, 2014, 09:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

So last half of 2012 and the first half of 2013 was used building our house.  Sadly, about 8 weeks before we moved in, lightning stuck and burned it down.  We lost all our money, the house we had built, and all that time and labor.  We didn't have insurance so it was rough.  Luckily the septic and slab were ok, but due to the cost of materials, it was going to be years before we could even start to rebuild.  Then some great guys on the forestry forum came and helped me fell some of my pines and cut them into the framing I needed.  That was in Dec of last year.  We saved up until about two weeks ago to be able to get the house in the dry. 

We are building a 26x52 two story w/ a one car garage.  At some point in the future we will add on and the downstairs of the two story will become a shop.  That is why the first floor is framed for garage door openings.  Yesterday, with some friends help, we finished setting the floor trusses.  I'm hoping to start putting on the subfloor this week. 

Here are some pics!

The tractor was a huge help in lifting walls by myself. 

Austin

rick91351

Great to see you all back under way!!   [cool]  I have been wondering how you were progressing.....

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Austin it is so good to see you bouncing back.  Many others would probably not.  Same tractor? Repaired or replaced?

dablack

Thanks guys.  It is good to be back.  I started the rebuild at the end of April so I think we are moving along pretty well. 

Yes, it is the same tractor.  When you finance through Kubota, they make you purchase insurance through them as well.  It is a one time fee.  All repairs were 100% covered.  They had to replace so much I'm surprised they didn't scrap it.  One of my forestry forum friends built the forks for it.  Very handy for grabbing trusses and small stacks of lumber! 

Austin

UK4X4

Good to see your back on your feet !

And awesome that some web friends were physically able to assist !

Don_P

Glad to hear from you and see you rebuilding. I was suprised to see a tractor as well, I'm glad that worked out.
Now to be picky  :), cut some level flats on the bottom of your stair stringers and put supports under them, you have a snap out problem built in there. I like to cut the bottoms level and extend the landing entirely under them.

dablack

Yes!   We are glad to be building again. 

Ok, Don.   I can picture what you are saying and I'm thinking it is so the fasteners in shear aren't the only thing holding the stringers up.   I'm not sure I understand the term "snap out". 

Anything else you see PLEASE let me know. 

Thanks
Austin

astidham

Nice work Austin!! I'm glad to see you working on the dream again!
I did notice that your staircase is running into your HVAC duct box in the truss, are you using the duct box?
I think its real cool that you are building with sticks cut from the land you building on!
good luck, and I am looking forward to the 2nd go around of your build.

Todd
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dablack

Hey Todd,

The HVAC duct won't be used past the stairs but if I really wanted to, I could hit the stairs, take a right turn, got down to the HVAC chase in the short "end of stairs" trusses, and go through there.  No big deal!

I'm hoping to get caught up to you but that will be tough!

I really like you two story entry!   Very fancy!

Austin

dablack

Spent the weekend making sure the floor trusses were square and braced well.  Not much you can take a picture of while doing that!

Finally started cutting the boards that will make up the subfloor.  The material is just over 1" thick and random width.  Most boards are 4", 6", 8", 10" or 12" wide.  Some are a little off and I'm saving them for later.  I will run them through my table saw to get them to needed width.  We will most likely live with the sub-floor for a while so I will recess the nails, sand the floor and put some poly on it to keep it clean.  Later we will install oak flooring. 

rick91351

WOW do I ever like that nailer.  The down side seemed to be a lot more recoil because of weight.  Because of the recoil I had a little trouble with it right at the end of our framing.  The locking E Snap Ring that holds the nose piece and depth adjustment all together broke.  Lost the little steel ball bearing and a spring.  Ordered new parts and dug out the Harbor Freight heavy multi - degree nailer.  Holy Cow what a club,  what a boat anchor compared to that Ridgid nailer.  I will send you the part numbers if I get time to research, might save you some time. 

The other plus was we framed that whole house and we only had one or two jams.  It does not like two inch ring shanks nails very well.  Or was it 2.5  ???     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dablack

Oh, I will gladly take those part numbers.  So far I've only had 1 jam but it was with the 3.25 or 3.5" galvanized ring shank (don't try and pull those out.....just get the sawzall if you have to take something apart!). 

The beauty of this new one is it is 15% lighter than the one I had two years ago.  Plus, I don't know if yours had it or not but I've got this handy little door that I can open up on the side and slip the jam right out.  Actually took me a while to figure out what it was.  I can get a pic if you need.  Very cool and makes jam removal a 10 second job!  The funny thing is, the guy at the orange place where I got it said that it DOESN'T use oil.  Since it was the new model, I figured that maybe they changed something.  Then I got it home and it came with a cheap bottle of oil.  HA!  I don't know what that guy was thinking. 

Years ago I bought a cheap electric weed eater trimmer.  I think it was a "grass hog".  Well after a year the string wouldn't come out anymore.  I took it all apart and found a little plastic piece that was worn.  Called the company and they said that the piece was only $0.75 but that shipping was going to be $10.  I said, give me 15 of them.  Sure enough, each year the little plastic piece would wear out and I pulled out a new one.  One of my buddies had the same trimmer with the same problem.  Once I found out, he had spares too.  At that point it had been five years and the company didn't have the parts anymore.  I was sure glad to have all the parts I needed.  The handle finally broke and I threw it away.  I gave the spare parts to my buddy.  I haven't seen him in a while but he sends me emails telling me how the trimmer is doing.  He has replaced the handle twice and still has a couple of the spare plastic parts I gave him.  It has been 13 years and he is still using that $30 trimmer!  I love it!

Austin

astidham

— Henry Ford

drbuilder

Good deal! Now you can say that you built at least two houses!

dablack

Thanks guys.  I've got about half the subfloor done.  1/2 the work is cutting all those boards to 8' and sorting them by width.  I'm hoping to finish the subfloor this weekend and MAYBE start the upstairs framing. 

Austin

dablack

Almost done with the subfloor.  I was going to finish last night but we had a big thunderstorm.  No rain but lightning everywhere......I don't like that so I didn't go out. 

rick91351

What was the old saying lighting never strikes twice..... ???  Though I never have lived down your way.  I have visited down there during a couple of those storm and pretty spooky.  Impressive for a kid from Idaho where it just does not do that.....

dablack

Wife has already told me that once the attic trusses go up, the lightning rods go up as well.  I'm going to drive grounding rods on each end of the house.  We are up on top of a hill and have iron ore everywhere.  I don't know if the iron ore brings in the lightning but I know for sure it doesn't repel it either!  HA!

Austin

rick91351

That seems to be an excellent idea all things considered. 

dablack

Sorry for the long delay between updates but I took some time off from building to replace the engine in my wife's explorer.  It took a little longer than I thought it would.

Anyway, back to house building.  I've got the 52' long front wall built and papered.  I'm going to build the back 52' long wall and then get a crew together to stand 'em up!  I've got some friends here at work that are willing to lend a hand! 

Austin

astidham

thats a huge wall!
glad to see you moving along!
— Henry Ford

dablack

Thanks.  I'm trying to keep up with you but you got a head start!  Next week I'm going to be gone on business travel so not much progress will get done.  I'm ready to get this thing in the dry! 

dablack

Got home at 5pm yesterday and got to work around 5:30.  Worked until 9 (I have a work light).  Ug.  I'm beat but I have my buddies from work coming on Friday after work to lift both long walls.  Last night I finished framing up the 2nd long wall.  Tonight I will sheath and paper it.  I'm beat.  I didn't get any pics because I forgot my phone at work!

astidham

your long hours and hard work have paid off!
it wont be long Austin, and all the heavy lifting will be done. (I know you have been there before)
then it will be on to all the expensive stuff.  :o
— Henry Ford

dablack

Thanks!  Yes, the long hours are paying off. 

I was up there until 9:15 last night.  I could have gone longer but I hadn't seen the wife all day. 

Here are the results from Wednesday night. 

Then I started putting on the OSB.

Finally finished the paper.

Today after work, I've got at least 10 guys coming to lift.  Should be pretty easy with that many guys.  I'm going to take off an hour early so I can get the stops nailed to the edge of the floor so we don't slide the new wall off the floor!

Austin