referrals

Started by ugabulldog, February 26, 2018, 07:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugabulldog

I might be moving and building in a different part of the country where I won't know anyone. Are county inspectors allowed to give referrals to contractors? I have also found that suppliers can be a good source for contractor referrals.

Don_P

That would be an ethics problem. Suppliers are a good resource. Also once you find a good sub they can usually help direct you to others.

Dave Sparks

Real Estate agents (brokers) should know the really good ones. If there is a county trade association or summer contractors trade fair at the County fairgrounds would be good also.
"we go where the power lines don't"

JRR

the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website may be worth a look.

squirreldog

I suppose it would have a lot to due with where you end up, and quite possibly the population density.  Around these country parts a trip to the local lumber yard and you will see just about all the contractors from our area that are busy building, and for the most part busy means someone else hired them.  My first thought was Angie's list, if its a populated area, or the local HBA if there is one.  As I mentioned, around here word of mouth is the barometer of the day.  Some days the coffee is great, other days, you cant' find a friend,  finding an unbiased truthful review?  seems like someone always has a go to builder, problem is they are backed up, and then it seems like that one good builder, someone has something bad to say about them as well.  I don't envy you having to move,, I'll leave it at that.. and just wish you the best in where ever  you end up.

ugabulldog

Thanks to all, good advice. DonP- I have also found that once I find a good sub, they will know others. squirreldog- yes I hate moving also. I have built two homes as the GC, thought each was the last one.