20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EaglesSJ

Quote from: semosam on October 16, 2012, 03:12:54 AM
First of all love your place and story very inspiring!  I am curious about your log siding, what stain and color did you use on it and have you been happy with it and where did you get it from?  thanks for the info in advance and keep up the good work!

It is cedar natural tone from lowes. Olympic brand stain Im pretty sure. Very happy with it.

Zona

Eagles, gotta say your thread has inspired me to keep trucking more than any others.  I've still got a few more years of saving to do (barring an emergency) but a setup like yours is what I strive for.  [cool]
I've got two guns, one for each of ya.

MJW

Eagles and his family have a super place and have done a great job putting it all together. He and his wife were gracious enough to let me and my family visit them while we were in KY earlier this year.

He has been a big inspiration to me and my wife and we hope we can accomplish much the same next year.
Michael

I don't want to live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive.

EaglesSJ

shadetree69

Just wanted to say that I really liked reading about this project of yours. You truly have talent and I just wanted to say thanks for posting your story. Keep on enjoying life...

Kyo

Great Cabin, I always liked the A-Frame in a Wooded Setting.. Fantastic Build !! Gathered quite a lot of ideas for my own build ( in the planning)...
-Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all!
-Don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

ChewyTheGnome

I wanna start off by saying congratulations on the birth of your baby girl! She's a doll! Secondly I want to thank you for your post! I'm looking at building my own A-Frame home for my primary residence around June this year. I've been searching and searching online for information on how they're done, and this thread has been by far the most help! I absolutely love your home! And the similarities of yours be what I plan to build is crazy lol. I am curious though, I noticed you had started off with 28' 2x8's, and built it off the pitch instead of the angles. But you wound up cutting off some of the bottom rafter after they were secured in. Do you by any chance know the angles of ur house, and how tall it is to the peak? I'm lookin at building my A-Frame on 60 degree angles. With a 24 ft base, that'll give me 24' rafters. And should put the peak at just under 22' high. I'm curious as to how much head space that'll give me in the rooms, or if I should go with larger angles to get a steeper pitch. But I know that'll be putting my peak up closer to 30'. Any suggestions/advice?

EaglesSJ

My house is right at 20 ft at the ft. Seems like it was exactly 20 ft. I have a 24 pitch roof so you can do the figuring on that :)

ChewyTheGnome

K, did some figuring. Lol. You're A-Frame has 63.434 degree base angles (given the peak is 20'). If I was to do that angle with a 24' base, it'd put my peak right at a height of 24', with 26.8' rafters. I think I'll stick to the 60 degree angles and just hope my house doesn't look to "fat" lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Buckeye

I was curious how your batteries have been holding up? I've seen them for sale here and have been mighty tempted to start buying a few a week. Are you satisified with them so far?

Buckeye

MountainDon

QuoteI've seen them for sale here and have been mighty tempted to start buying a few a week

An unsolicited opinion, hope you don't mind, but if the purchases are going to end up spread over months and not a few weeks you are better off to save the  money up and buy at once. And second along that line of thought, don't buy thrm until you are ready to install and use them. They start aging from the moment they are filled with battery acid.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: MountainDon on April 15, 2013, 08:51:58 PM
An unsolicited opinion, hope you don't mind, but if the purchases are going to end up spread over months and not a few weeks you are better off to save the  money up and buy at once. And second along that line of thought, don't buy thrm until you are ready to install and use them. They start aging from the moment they are filled with battery acid.

Listen to this. You want to buy all the batteries you need all at once. If not the older batteries will "bring down" the new ones when connected. Like the old adage of "you're only as strong as your weakest link"

Abbey

Hi Eagle,

Nice work you've been doing. I was wondering how you're simple septic system is holding up, or are you starting to "max" it out?

Buckeye

Thanks for the tip on the batteries guys. I was still curious if the batteries were holding up well since you installed them Eagles.

MountainDon

Can't speak for EagleSJ but we do have the same type of battery, 12 of them. We're going into our fourth year. The plate top look like new still and they perform the same as when first put into service.

A lot of how they last is dependent upon the use or abuse they receive.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Abbey on April 16, 2013, 01:49:13 PM
Hi Eagle,

Nice work you've been doing. I was wondering how you're simple septic system is holding up, or are you starting to "max" it out?

Septic is still running perfect. No troubles at all. Ive been out a couple times since installing it and poured in some yeast powder but thats it.

As for the batteries, ours seem to be doing fine. We have 16 of them and really wish we had 32. Like anything else in life. The more you have, the more you want. I am hoping we get at least 5 years out of them. I really dont know how to tell what the plates look like. Maybe Don can inform me. He knows an awful lot when it comes to these sorts of things. Im really a novice to all of this. I just do what I can with what I have.

Abbey

Is the yeast to add beneficial bacteria to break down the organic solids?

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Abbey on May 04, 2013, 10:15:59 AM

exactly

Abbey

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking I might do something along these lines for my place.

EaglesSJ

New parking area with small raised bed for our tomato plants and some flowers. Still need to get some grass seed on the hill behind it and a few other little odds and ends. The main thing was getting the food in the ground.

MountainDon

Quote from: EaglesSJ on May 03, 2013, 03:39:05 PMI really dont know how to tell what the plates look like. Maybe Don can inform me.

I took pictures of the new cells so I can compare. What you do not want to see is the formation of crystals on the plates. That's sulfation and to be avoided by bringing the batteries back to full charge every day. The CC should go into float mode every day if you are doing things right.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Abbey on May 04, 2013, 10:15:59 AM

You can sit out a glass of milk and let it spoil and pour it into the septic tank and it will basicly add the bacteria to help disolve the solids.

ChewyTheGnome

Eagles, just curious. How did you run the plumbing on your house. I'm trying to figure out how to vent my lines without running multiple pipes all the way up from the bottom floor through the roof.......

EaglesSJ

I used Studor plumbing vents both on my toilet septic line and my sink/shower drain. There is no standard through the roof vent.

scoutineric

On your 26' rafters how much of it did you leave as overhang? How tall is the roofline from the base of your house/angle of the A's?

Does your 2nd floor get excessively warm in the summer? Did you do anything special for ventilation?