Tractor recommendations

Started by grover, May 05, 2013, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

I'm seeing a number of used skidsteers under $10K around here, but at that price, they scare me. For what I want, they would be great. I want to do some landscape work, grade my driveway, and haul trees out of the woods to process into firewood. I'm just worried about what kind of costs I could get into if (when) the thing breaks. I also see fairly large loader/backhoes under $10K, but the same concerns apply.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MountainDon

My neighbor has a Case he paid $8500 for 6 years ago.  No large repairs to date. Not used every day.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

This one is a beater, 2 owners off rental, $7500, bucket, forks and remotes. It's ugly and could use a few hundred in parts but should have another few thousand hours in it. The Case 1845cummins is a tough, very common, machine.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MushCreek

Whatever I get won't get much usage- probably 100 hours a year, although the first year will probably be a lot more. :D Is there any way to tell if something major, such as the hydraulic pump is getting ready to fail? Would a heavy equipment repair guy be able to asses one (for a fee) like when you bring a used car to a mechanic? I don't mind doing basic repairs and maintenance- hoses, cylinders, valves, etc., but if a major part or engine went, you'd have a heavy paperweight.
Jay

Don_P

I took my new (used) truck to my mechanic. Seems like a good machine, should be fine for several years.  Both front half shafts, engine, transmission, fuel pump and lines... and I hope its good for several years now. Just sayin, it's what they miss... and I do need to switch mechanics unfortunately. For hydraulics an infrared thermometer would probably see major internal wicked bad blowby as a hot spot, then typical engine check/ roll of the dice. Check the chain drives on each side to see if they are full of oil, nothing... or water. Hit full revs and check against factory, if you can redline it from the cab, someone has. This one has too long a belt on what looks like a new alternator, I found it when the battery died, easy fix, I assume the new alt had a smaller pulley, somebody got in a hurry and forgot to get a new belt. The tilt pedal sticks. The owner thought it was a feature...  d* it's a kinked cable and it'll stick and roll it basswards if he gets in the wrong place and it sticks tilting. It looks like it'll probably take opening the cab so a long weekend once we round that up.  They are pretty simple if pre computer but parts can add up quick.

Redoverfarm

I guess the first thing you should ask yourself is what am I going to use it for.  I didn't go new on mine but it serves me well.  I have a 50HP Deutz Allis ( other green) w/ front loader bucket.  For me 4WD was a must.  Then there is the "green machines" which probably are a little over rated and price is paying for the flying deer symbol.  But... if you are searching for a small compact utility tractor they have some pretty good deals.  Not the biggest but some 4wd packages have mower decks, back hoe and front loader bucket for around $10K.  Several attachments can be added. Seems like New Holland in getting really popular as well considering the price comparison w/ the deer.  Massey Ferguson has those as well.  Just checking here 25HP compact utility w/ bucket 200hours 2009 for $10,500.

I would stay away from Belarus too many problems.  Zetor was a hit early in the 70's but had problems with hoses and seals. But they were purchased by John Deere so that might have changed.  I would check out my dealers "used" selection.  A lot of times tractors are traded just because of lack of HP by the owners shortly after buying.  Plus they would offer a warranty period if anything did develop.  Some of the new equipment requires a larger HP rating so those with the under rated HP tractors will trade up to gain that needed HP. 

Don't let the price be your deciding factor.

db4570

I'm going to an auction this weekend looking for a backhoe, and they have some tractors for sale:

http://www.teitsworth.com/items/live-auctions/?az_feed_pos=www.auctionzip.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fauctionview.cgi%3Flid%3D2683909%26feed%3D129%26group%3D0%26state%3D%26kwd%3D%26zip%3D%26category%3D0%26nojava%3D0

Probably a bit of a haul for you, and it could cost $500+ to get it delivered, but supposedly there are some great deals to be had at this auction.

Anyone else in Upstate NY looking for stuff, they have a bunch of Bobcats, tractors, dump trucks, and other cool machines listed. I doubt I'll find a backhoe in my price range, though.

It sounds like you are eager to get something ASAP, but I vote for waiting to find just the right one at just the right price.

Good luck.

David

Adam Roby

I am eager to get working, but at the same time I want to be sure I get what I need.
I think 40 HP would be around what I need.  I think 2WD would be fine, the land is flat and dry in the summer months.
I need a bucket that can lift rocks that I can't... and after back surgery that isn't very heavy before I hit my limit.  Anything too big will just be pushed to the side.  The skid steer does look like fun;  after checking the first time I later found a used one for $6k... but don't really trust it.  Besides, I need the PTO and 3-point in back for the grass cutter attachment to maintain the lot afterwards.  I guess I could get a riding mower... but anyway.

This Oliver came up, and after only 40 minutes of being posted (when I first saw it) already had 325 hits!

Olivier 550 GAZ 1970 2600 hrs
Pelle, moteur refait en 2008
Mécanique A1 rien a faire dessus
Alternateur , Starteur , carburateur
Fils de bougies , pointes , silencieux neufs
Bon pneux
Chaîne Incluse

Translated:
Shovel and motor rebuilt in 2008
New alternator, starter, carburator, spark plug wires, points, and muffler.
Good tires, includes chains.  And it looks like a 6-8' scraper included.

They are asking $3000.  Doubt it will sit very long... I think I'd rather a diesel though, still might go see it.  1 hr 45 minute drive to go see.

(345 hits in the last 20 minutes)

Adam Roby

... oh, I was wondering about going to an auction.  My fear would be to get caught up in the bidding and wind up going way over what I wanted to spend.  I guess it can go either way depending on the day... might look to see if there is one a bit closer to home.

hpinson

Parts might be a problem with the Oliver.  I just think that's so important. One failure of a part that cannot be found, and the tractor becomes very expensive scrap. Think engine, drive train and PTO part replacement. If you know you can find the parts, great, otherwise...

Ford, New Holland, Deere, MF, Case, Kubuta, Yanmar, Mitsubishi.  Parts are available for those, though the older the tractor, the more difficult to source...

Adam Roby

That might be a good idea, figure out what are the most common parts to fail, then when I see something interesting I first check to see if I can find all those parts easily before even going to see the tractor.  Like the Belarus... I was able to find the hydraulic pump pretty easily, but I didn't look for anything else... a few too many people telling me to stay away so I probably will.

Don_P

I had forgotten the back, scratch the bobcat, you get pounded pretty hard compared to a tractor.
The saying around here about the Zetor's was that once you buy one, it's yours, the Belarus had about the same reputation.

MushCreek

I found a pretty nice Massey Ferguson 250 with a loader yesterday. $7K, and it's pretty nice, not beat. It's around 1985, diesel, 40 hp, 2WD, and weighs around 5K not including the loader. There are a lot of M-F around here; must be a strong dealer presence. I'm going to see if I can get a mechanic to look at it with me, as I know nothing about diesels. After thinking about skidsteers, I remembered how badly they tear up the ground when maneuvering.
Jay

Don_P

That is a good point, I like to have one to use periodically but they are hard on the land.
Of course I guessed wrong on belt size so the skidsteer was down yesterday but I had picked up the Hilti and chisel bits from work so loaded the generator in the truck and went down to continue to worry the big rock by the drive... its hurt... but so am I  :D
Reading the recommendations here it does show some regional preferences. I think it is more uniform now but in the older stuff especially MF does seem popular in the southeast, Olivers, David Browns where the middle of the country is Deere green with AC's and Minnie Mo's, so I guess aside from advice here watch what's running around you, that speaks to parts and knowledge. For smallholders the old Gravely's do an impressive amount of work and there were quite a few attachments. I've worked one with chains and a 4' blade grading out piles of dirt in a yard. A single radial engine jug and a model A transmission, darn near indestructible.

Adam Roby

Quote from: MushCreek on May 15, 2016, 05:48:58 AM
I found a pretty nice Massey Ferguson 250 with a loader yesterday....and weighs around 5K not including the loader.

That's a nice tractor.  There are a lot of them around here as well.  Same specs doing a quick check I am seeing $7500 so seems like a good price range comparison.

Does anyone know how much a loader adds to the weight? 
The TractorData website shows that MF at  4585 to 5760 pounds.  I guess it depends on what options you've added, but when estimating the freight cost, I'm not sure a loader fits into those weight limits, or maybe they do? 

Adam Roby

Seems I can rent a skidsteer for $308 for a weekend straight from Bobcat of Plattsburgh NY.
Does anyone know if they also deliver/pickup, and how much extra that could be?
Do they rent to civilians or only businesses generally?
Do they require you take some lessons or get permits first?
Would you recommend I try to rent one of these first, then evaluate my tractor needs afterwards?

Once the weather is a bit warmer at night, I could go up to the land with my popup camper and stay for the entire weekend.  The weekend rental would get used as much as my body could handle it.  I would like an excavator at one point also...  maybe 1 weekend could do everything I want, maybe I would be right back where I started... no clue.  I think the best option is to go there and talk to them directly.

Don_P

They'll rent to you, no lessons but they will show you the basics. After that it just takes time for your body to train to it. You'll have to ask whether that included delivery. If you have a list of prioritized tasks to work down you won't regret it either way. Get them to drop forks and a bucket if you can, the forks come in handy. If there's stuff you need to move get it up on pallets if possible and just scoop and drop. The hilti chuck is jammed solid with rock dust and I'm not the least bit sympathetic yet  :P

MushCreek

The only thing to watch for rentals is that they now look at the hour meter. In the old days, you could pick it up Friday night and drop it off Monday morning, and only pay one day's rent (Saturday). Now, they go by the hour meter, so if you run it all weekend, it will cost you more. Around here, there are no requirements to rent one, and delivery runs about $50, depending upon distance. A bigger skidsteer is HEAVY; like 11,000 lbs., so you would need a serious trailer and tow rig to bring it home yourself.

I have one of those old Gravely's; that's why I'm looking for a tractor-loader! I swear grading my driveway with that thing is more work than just using a shovel. I'm going to sell it, and a few other toys to help the tractor fund.
Jay

Don_P

Quote from: MushCreek on May 16, 2016, 05:38:45 AM
I have one of those old Gravely's; that's why I'm looking for a tractor-loader! I swear grading my driveway with that thing is more work than just using a shovel. I'm going to sell it, and a few other toys to help the tractor fund.

LOL, I do prefer riding to being pulled around the yard. I think this Scat Trak 1300D weighs about 6,000 lbs. It and my heavy trailer was about all I wanted behind the pickup slipping home on the back roads.

glenn kangiser

I have a Bobcat 963 and love it but as mentioned, repairs are expensive even if you do them yourself.  I had a fire a couple years ago and spent around $10000 to fix it.

I also have a Ford 3550 road tractor with a hydraulic ripper- box scraper and skip loader on it.  Most expensive was a diesel fuel injection pump rebuild, usually around $1500 plus or minus.

I suggest sticking with popular brands for an old tractor purchase - I paid $8000 and the going rate for a similar machine was about $15000 at the time.  I made some good money with it doing driveway repairs.

The small Ford tractors such as 8N or similar are rather light duty compared to the bigger models . You may find yourself unable to do things you want to do.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NathanS

We found a Ford 1510 on Craigslist. 742 hours, loader, 22hp, 4wd. seems like it's in good shape. front tires could stand to be replaced and some of the hydraulic lines are a little dry rotted. paid 6k. was hard to find a flatbed rental but finally found one right in town. worked out well.

Don_P

Nice well kept looking machine. The fronts aren't too bad, the rears look like they'll last quite a while yet... if you can keep the sun off them. Toys generate more rounds of building  :D

Adam Roby

MushCreek

Nice buy! I keep looking, but not finding much under $10K around here. 'Experts' tell me that the MF 250 is overpriced, but looking all over the country, there's precious little in that price range. It's still sitting there; I still haven't brought a mechanic to look at it. I'm just so afraid of buying a money pit. I can barely afford the price of admission, and will be sunk if something expensive breaks.
Jay