20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EaglesSJ

scored these double pane argon filled windows for $200 for 5 of them. 2 of them are 2'x5' and 3 of them are 3' by 5'. They came out of someones sunroom. they are foggy looking because the dew was on them.

EaglesSJ

More from today. I also got the rear deck leading out of our room done.

Alasdair

No flys on you! At this rate you'll be moved in by September! :)

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Alasdair on August 13, 2010, 08:04:12 PM
No flys on you! At this rate you'll be moved in by September! :)

Ill be evicted on august 22 so were hoping to have it dried in by then at least. Thats why were working so hard on it

EaglesSJ

MushCreek

It's coming along great! That's some roof- makes a 12/12 seem like a walk in the park. Nice family, too!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

EaglesSJ

more from today. Only worked about 3 hrs today. Im tired. been going for 3 weeks everyday.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: MushCreek on August 15, 2010, 01:32:08 PM
It's coming along great! That's some roof- makes a 12/12 seem like a walk in the park. Nice family, too!

yeah putting on that sheeting has been the scariest job yet by FAR! Glad its behind me. Now onto the metal roofing :(

jdejarn

Outstanding job!!  Great run under a tight deadline!  One week to go and looks like you are set to make it to the dry point!  Good going to you and your crew!

Don_P

Makin tracks! Do keep a check on your tiredness... if that's even a word, I'm sure you know when accidents happen. I got launched down the mountain by my ribcage Friday. It wasn't bright, one last tree, working hot and tired. Needless to say I wasn't moving too fast yesterday  d*.

Tom

Gotta second Don's warning. Fatigue creeps up on you. That's when accidents happen.
Looks good though!

John Raabe

Looking good - your progress is streaming along at quite a clip.

Hope everyone (Don_P and all) are healing well. We all need a reminder now and again - to keep the focus!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

texasgun

[cool] You guys are something else in less than 30 days you took a dream and ran with it. I know how it feels being cheated out of money and the way it makes you feel about that person and I hope that dosent  stress your relationship with any of your other family. Your aunt might of gotten 4 grand of free work and materials but it is now quite apparent she lost alot more in cheating a very talented nephew that she will regret next time her house needs repaired. Anyway sorry about the rant but just had to coment on your project because it is most impressive fwiw I think you all deserve a couple of days off.
WEST TEXAS

EaglesSJ

Quote from: texasgun on August 16, 2010, 01:40:20 PM
[cool] You guys are something else in less than 30 days you took a dream and ran with it. I know how it feels being cheated out of money and the way it makes you feel about that person and I hope that dosent  stress your relationship with any of your other family. Your aunt might of gotten 4 grand of free work and materials but it is now quite apparent she lost alot more in cheating a very talented nephew that she will regret next time her house needs repaired. Anyway sorry about the rant but just had to coment on your project because it is most impressive fwiw I think you all deserve a couple of days off.

I appreciate your kind words. This is my first construction experience as it is my friends also but were doing pretty good all in all. I am not that bitter over the whole ordeal although my fiance and I have thought about all the nice things that we could get for the new place with the money we spent on this one lol. Bought lessons are always the best lessons though. My only concern for them is now the entire family has turned on them because of how they have done us and when they get a bit older and no one is there for em Im sure they will regret alot of things. Oh well, no use in living in the past. Were getting the chance to build OUR dream home now instead of fixing up someone elses to make it livable. Anyways I will report with more pictures later. Its off to lowes for a patio door!

Texas Tornado

Quote from: Don_P on August 12, 2010, 04:59:39 AM
Drinking my coffee, avoiding the plans I'm sketching and looking at others pics  c*. Do fill the ridge before you're done. You're bearing on the toes of the rafters up top, that'll split them over time, they need to bear on their heels.

Can you post a picture explaining this?

MountainDon

Quote from: Texas Tornado on August 16, 2010, 06:26:18 PM
Quote from: Don_P on August 12, 2010, 04:59:39 AM
Drinking my coffee, avoiding the plans I'm sketching and looking at others pics  c*. Do fill the ridge before you're done. You're bearing on the toes of the rafters up top, that'll split them over time, they need to bear on their heels.

Can you post a picture explaining this?

Good question...
Here is what Don_P was referring to. In the early photos the rafters had their points (toes) resting on the ridge board. That is only the toes.

Another board should be added below the first one in order to have the heels of the rafters supported.

This becomes even more important as the roof pitch decreases. Eventually the rafters may split if the heels are not supported.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

MD got it while I was drawing and looking up stuff,
Last first,
table R503.2.1.1(1)...now howcum you can find anything in the Bible with less than half that many numbers, but I digress ??? gives the maximum span for roof sheathing with and without edge support (clips). Very few applications actually require clips...I always use them having seen enough ugly spots on roofs that didn't. I was sticking them on 5/8 sheathing that was framed on 16" centers today, way overkill for edge support, but they are cheap and also space the sheets so I just go ahead and do it. This is a screenshot of that table, pay attention to the max live loads as well;

This is a sketch of 4 pairs of rafters,
the upper one is correct, the entire plumb cut at the peak of the rafters is fully bearing on the ridge.
The second from the top is bearing on the toe half of the plumb cut, the ridge isn't tall enough, I've drawn where it can split the rafters if it is heavily loaded. It isn't code but if the ridge were slipped down to the bottom of the plumb cut it would be fine.
The third one from the top is a bad plumb angle leaving a gap and bearing on the toe of the cut. It will fail by "feathering", splitting into many soft edges until each bears against the ridge. Shim this cut and correct your pattern.
The bottom is another bad angle cut but is bearing on the heel... if you're going to err this is the better way to be, it won't split the rafter, it will crush into the ridge until it has enough area to take the load. But again fix your pattern....unless you are framing with green material then it becomes an art, you cut this way just enough so that when the rafter is dry it become like the top drawing, think about how a miter dries.

EaglesSJ; I agree with your outlook. "The wheel of life turns slowly but grinds thoroughly". Sounds like a Willie Nelson song  ;)

EaglesSJ

d*

phalynx

EaglesSJ,  just a note.  If I remember correctly from my many conversations with the state when I was looking at moving to KY, the plumbing code is something you cannot bypass even if you are off grid.  Make sure you get the permits for that and do it well.  I have read many horror stories of people who thought they would get away with it and didn't.  I found it funny that KY didn't have many building permits and inspections for shell construction but plumbing is a totally different animal.

EaglesSJ

d*

Texas Tornado

Mountain Don and Don, Thank you so much for the details!!! Seeing what you are talking about really helps me get my head wrapped around it  8)

So would the clips be needed on the flooring as well?

EaglesSJ

Pics from today.

our room 12x16

Coltons room 12x12

a days work

Don_P

TT, Floor sheathing should "normally" be edge supported but this is usually done by using T&G ply. You can use square edge ply if you block the unsupported edges with lumber, use an additional layer of underlayment or cover it with 3/4 flooring laid at right angles to the joists. But you wouldn't get edge support on a floor by using clips, the bumps would give you trouble later. We've been in a round of rain for the past few days. we used Advantech on the main floor and sent Mrs homeowner to get more for the loft floor. The guys at Lowes charged her for Advantech but loaded an off brand. Both floors got 2 coats of porch paint, the loft floor has seen one less rain but is popping some blisters. If there's any more questions on any of this we should probably start another thread, my quick morning coffee comment took a longwinded turn  ;).

phalynx

You are certainly moving at a great pace.  I know it feels good seeing it "looking" complete.  Are you using pressure treated wood under the deck area including the beams?  You don't want rot creeping into your structure.  If not, perhaps there is something you can do to shed the water.