Float switch to shut offpower to jet pump

Started by new land owner, February 19, 2018, 10:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

My camp has a 350 gal tank in the basement that feeds a jet pump to pressurize the system  The issue I have is that if anyone were to run the tank dry the pump would burn up. I have been looking at float switches that I wold like to install in the tank and then plug my jet pump into it do when the water level gets down to a certain level power would be cut to the pump. 

Has anyone done something similar? Any pictures and recommendations would be appreciated.

Tom

Dave Sparks

There should be something out there rated for the amps/volts of the pump!  Many pumps have run dry protection built-in.
"we go where the power lines don't"

JRR

I like this style that these folks sell:  https://www.septicsolutions.com/septic-parts/float-switches/control-duty-floats

Its like a float that "changes state", electrically, when the float is tilled to some angle.  I always used the mercury switch style.  I have frankly never used this brand, but can't remember the industrial brand that was popular in my day.  Anyhoo, you will notice that these switches are mostly "normally open"....and the mercury switches can only handle a few amps. 

So, my preference would be:  Use the mercury switch to drive a relay, and use a "normally closed" contact on the relay in the pump circuit.  This way the relay would usually not be energized until the liquid level is high.  The mercury switch is robust enough to drive a relay coil, and the relay can be chosen with output contacts of high amperage capacity.   If you have an electrical controls seller nearby, they would be of great help.

OlJarhead

I will have to find mine for you.  I got it from Backwoods solar and use it to control my solar powered water pump that fills my cistern.  You can set it to kick the pump on and off.

OlJarhead

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/products/water-pumps/pump-accessories/float-switch-spdt-up-down
That is what I use.  Have had it for 4+ years now and it works great.  Easy to set up too.  This one is over 300 feet (more like 400-500) from my pump and turns it on when the level drops to a certain point I set and shuts it off when full.  It can be used in the opposite way too by shutting off a pump when it's empty and turning it on when full.