Outhouses, check my thinking.

Started by scoutman, January 15, 2009, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I have a long chain.  I can pull you both out. rofl
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Erin

Pull me out of what?   ???
I've never been stuck.    [slap]

:)

(Man, it's a good thing this is an outhouse thread.  lol)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

MountainDon

This drift (Ford vs Dodge diesel trucks) is a lot like asking "what's better, Coke or Pepsi?"

There is no real answer.  ;D

The comment "The original PowerStroke is the best diesel pickup every made. " did remind me that it doesn't matter if it's a Dodge or a Ford or whatever if it's not turbocharged. The original powerstrokes without the turbo suck just as bad as any gas burner here in the mountains, above 7500 feet especially.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Erin

Nope, the PowerStroke has always been turbo-ed.  In fact, when they first came out in '94, they were just the "Turbo Diesel".  In '95 some marketing type decided that was dull and changed it to "Power Stroke"

Ford had a 7.3 for five or six years though before they put in a turbo.  I'll bet that's the one you're thinking of.

MountainDon

That's what I'm thinking of. Have a friend with one.  :-[
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Except the Powerstroke is an International isn't it?  The Chevy is an Isuzu I think.

The difference I see is the ease of working on the Cummins, and the ability of the Ford driver to drive fast backwards while chained up to a Dodge.

It is my understanding that the cab has to be removed to change the engine on the new Ford. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Turbo-ed Dodge, Ford, Chevy diesels all get the job done. We have 4wd club members with all of them and they all haul trailers laden with Jeeps, etc while hauling a slide in camper and the grades don't slow any of them down.

Erin

PS is indeed made by IH.  I have no idea who makes Chevy's.  (They have a diesel??    c*)

And no, there's no way I'd ever recommend a PS since they retired the 7.3...   :(
We'll see what's out there once our '97 shells out (she only has 220K right now, though) but unless Ford has had a serious turn-around, our next diesel will probably be a Dodge.

glenn kangiser

They all have to hassle each other though. d*

Erin

Of course.   [noidea'
Once the gauntlet was thrown, that of bragging on one's Dodge, a Ford person has to speak up.  And vice versa.  Them's the rules...   ;)

glenn kangiser

Chevy made a crude attempt at making their own engine, but like the old GM Detroits it was filled with problems.  Some liked the Detroit - 2 strokes - I liked the sound - kind of, but never had much luck with them.  Had one on my well developer.

Erin, all seriousness aside, I would always stop my Dodge to help a lady in distress broke down alongside the rode in her
Ford. :)

Redoverfarm

With that said I doubt that you have ever stopped that much though.  I think IH made deisel tractors way before Ford truck engines.  Not real sure if Dodge did?  ??? ;D .  In fact I never recall seeing a Dodge tractor.

Erin

glenn kangiser

Oh-- Come on you two... Face reality... :)

Cummins was  one of the early diesel engines and Dodge was wise enough to choose a proven time tested engine to install in their truck, the very same engine family that pushes Diesel boats, ships, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Autocar, etc. for years and years and years... [waiting]

I have gone to help many friends with Fords. :)

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0604dp_cummins_diesel_motor_history/index.html

cordwood

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 08, 2009, 02:46:17 PM

Cummins was  one of the early diesel engines and Dodge was wise enough to choose a proven time tested engine to install in their truck, the very same engine family that pushes Diesel boats, ships, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Autocar, etc. for years and years and years... [waiting]

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0604dp_cummins_diesel_motor_history/index.html

If it's so "Time Tested" why have they changed it so many times?! ;)
No matter who makes it if it was made after 1973 it's a POS if you ask me. ;D
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Redoverfarm

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.  Henry  "Dodge"  ?  Does anyone know what the first Rudolf Deisel's engine was installed in for production?

glenn kangiser

Quote from: cordwood on February 08, 2009, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 08, 2009, 02:46:17 PM

If it's so "Time Tested" why have they changed it so many times?! ;)
No matter who makes it if it was made after 1973 it's a POS if you ask me. ;D

Improvements. :)

I will add that no matter what the make, most of the trucks are made for momma to go to the store, buy groceries and carry her purse in.  All seem to be designed to fail right after the warranty is up, but it is not so much the engine as it is supporting things like the torque converter and transmission if an automatic.  Nearly all aftermarket parts are better than factory parts.

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 08, 2009, 04:00:56 PM
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.  Henry  "Dodge"  ?  Does anyone know what the first Rudolf Deisel's engine was installed in for production?

No, but I'm hoping you'll tell us.    :D

Erin

???
Riverboats? 

glenn kangiser

I don't know that one but sounds interesting.

Another interesting thing is that nearly all things in use today  aside from refinements were invented at the start around 1900.

Erin

And diesels were originally designed to run on veggie oil! 

Redoverfarm

Another German inventor, Rudolf Diesel, had as significant an impact on Deutz's development as Otto. Diesel had invented another type of motor and offered his patent to Deutz in 1892. Eugen Langen was concerned that the technology would not work and refused to manufacture the engines. Diesel found an interested partner in Heinrich Buz, Director of Maschinenfabrik Augsburg, where many changes were made from the initial concept. When the first functioning diesel engine was built in Augsburg in 1897 Deutz entered a licensing agreement with German manufacturer MAN AG to build the engine. Only two motors of the first series were finished and one of them, shipped to the United States, was the first diesel engine to be put into operation there. Deutz started experimenting with the second one and within a year developed its own model without the cross head that Diesel's design used.

MAN was the first, and in 1924, a MAN truck became the first vehicle to use a direct-injection diesel engine. At the same time Benz & Cie in Germany also presented a diesel truck, but Benz used the mixing chamber that Daimler-Benz kept into the 1990s. The first diesel Mercedes-Benz hit the road in 1936

Karl Benz was a member of the new Daimler Benz board of management for the remainder of his life. A new logo was created, consisting of a three pointed star (representing Daimler's motto: "engines for land, air, and water") surrounded by traditional laurels from the Benz logo, and the brand of all of its automobiles was labeled Mercedes Benz. Model names would follow the brand name in the same convention as today.

The next year, 1927, the number of units sold tripled to 7,918 and the diesel line was launched for truck production. In 1928 the Mercedes Benz SS was presented.

And who would have thought that the original design by Diesel was run on "peanut oil"  And yes by chance I do have a Duetz tractor.  Just coincidence.

With all this I can say that I have sucessfully HI-JACKED this thread and for this I apoligize.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 08, 2009, 04:43:01 PM

Another interesting thing is that nearly all things in use today  aside from refinements were invented at the start around 1900.

Rather a broad statement...  depends how refinement is defined.

What about the calculators we use today?  

The 3rd century abacus was the first calculator, or computer even.  Then there were mechanical slide rules, rotary and stick types. Next were were mechanical calculators like the old Burroughs Business Machines invented sometime in the late 1800's. I remember using those up into the sixties and seventies.

But I'd hardly say that the electronic calculator was simply a refinement of the Burroughs machine, let alone the abacus or slip stick.

??? ???

glenn kangiser

Yeah - a bit more broad than I intended --- I meant things like turbochargers - blowers - fuel injection- water pumps - 12 volt system-  My computer is distracting me today.  Three things upgraded in the last 2 days and now it is skipping from one web page to another - switching tabs - randomly by itself whenever it feels like it.

There were things we don't even see today - the Willy's Knight sleeve engine.

Getting back to the topic - any body seen a diesel powered outhouse? [waiting]

Redoverfarm

I think all of them are a little diesel powered although none are turbo charged ( except after chilli night) but most are equipted with blowers.  ;D ;D