20 X 36 in Central Utah

Started by suburbancowboy, June 16, 2011, 12:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattl

I just read a article on KSL on people returning to property that was burned. Im praying for the best for you and the family.

rick91351

National Interagency in Boise is showing this morning Wood Hollow at a 2% increase from yesterday.  Clay Springs on the other hand is sort of a run away right now.  I am aware of your area but not.  I lived in SLC for a couple years and took lots of long drives.   :D

Here is a link to an active fire map

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/#

However the morning report shows  fairly good news if possible - Wood Hollow, Central Area, Utah DOF. IMT 2 (Whalen). One mile south of Fountain Green, UT. Pinyon pine,
juniper and brush. Creeping and smoldering.

From another report Whalen is claiming 25% contained.  They usually do not hedge their figures much as they use to.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

Quote from: suburbancowboy on June 27, 2012, 09:32:53 AM
snip..................................

I am thinking of getting insurance on the place even before its complete.  Plan was to get it the end of august when I'm done.  What do you think???

I think you insure when you can not take the loss out of pocket.  So if that is $5,000 or $50,000 or $100,000 only you know what that magic figure might be.  As you know now $5,000 is not a lot of building materials, not to mention your time.  Fire or loss can come from any direction.  From a druggy setting fire to your property - to a lighting strike.  Or to someone falling down over a board and claiming you were negligent in not picking it up and suing the hell out of you.  Loss can come from anywhere.   

Myself I would not even break ground without insurance.  I even carry liability on bare ground.   [waiting]  Okay I'm paranoid, but I'm covered.    ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

Good news this morning Whalen is showing Wood Hollow 100% contained.   :)   Bad new they are showing 160 structures lost...... :( 

Wood Hollow UT - 47,387 Acres - Zero change in size - 100% contained - 538 people working the fire - 14 crews - 29 engines -  4 helos - 160 structures were lost - so far 5.4 million dollars involved.

rick91351

Well looked at the Interagency Fire Report today and Wood Hollow Fire is taken off the named fires.  Clay Springs is still growing and running but show more containment.  The Sealy Fire is sort of in the same area show zero containment.  Neither show any structure loss.  (Clay Springs might have shown one.)

Sure hope everything is okay there.  Cowboy

rlr   

suburbancowboy

I was down at the cabin the last six days. I will be posting more pics later today but here is one that I wanted to share.  The wood hollow fire is mostly out.   This is the one closest to my place.  I wasn't to worried because is was on the other side of the major road there. 

Here is a picture I took from the front porch.  It is the seeley fire.  about 15 miles east of me.  Here you can just see the smoke come over the ridge line.

As of yesterday it was only 10% contained.  We are suppose to get a little rain here today.  Hasn't rained in some spots here for 81 days.

rick91351

suburbancowboy

Well a little good news about the fires.  It is raining lightly in all the fire zones around my cabin.  So hopefully by tomorrow all fire in northern utah should be contained.  I had a meeting in SLC this morning so on my drive up north there was a grass fire on the side of the road bringing traffic to a crawl.  Rain hadn't started yet.  There was also a fire 4 mile north east of my house we have been watching for a couple of days.  We was at the cabin when we heard about that one.  My step son says, "maybe we should just stay here".

On better news I was at the cabin working for five days leading up to the fourth.  Mostly what I got done was the T&G in the upstairs bed room.  What a pain.  The tongues was a bit to large to fit into the grove on one batch that I got so I had to cut off the back side to get them to work.  This ended up being about 20+ hours of work.

The water barrel is where I am storing my water for now.  The black pipe is my waste pipe.  Long story why it isn't in the wall.  I also picked up a twin log bed and mattress for a 100 dollars.  I have one daughter that thinks she is a princess and can't sleep on a foam pad.

A couple of other major things with the bathroom.  We used the toilet for the first time.  Wife did a little happy dance.  My favorite was being able to take a shower.  There is no water pressure yet but a bucket works just as good. ;D

We also put the floor put in the master bedroom.  I went with a teak color but it  is a lot darker than what I wanted.  I was going to put a rug in there anyway. 

We also got half of the rest of the drywall and house wrap on the out side.  Not fun in 90 degree heat.  Next step is to put on more log siding and more T&G on the inside.  I figure I have 9 more days of work to do before my daughter comes from washington for a visit.  I hope the inside is done by then.

We was going to work on the 4th but I was beat after being up there for 5 days, so I learned from my previous visit and mistakes and we went home a day early. 

Hope every bodies fourth was great. :)

suburbancowboy

It appears that the rains yesterday did it.  Seeley fire is contained from the news report.  Just mop up and babysitting now.  Hopefully I can get the insurance today.  Yesterday the agent said the restriction for the county was still in place.

noklu

Quote from: suburbancowboy on July 06, 2012, 09:22:43 AM
It appears that the rains yesterday did it.  Seeley fire is contained from the news report.  Just mop up and babysitting now.  Hopefully I can get the insurance today.  Yesterday the agent said the restriction for the county was still in place.
PRAISE be unto our God Jehovah, for the rain!

AdironDoc

Glad to see you got rain. Rained here in Wyoming too and from what I've heard, the fires in Colorado that blocked our way up to pikes peak are almost out. Strange to think I'd want rain during my vacation, but I was real glad to see it coming down.

suburbancowboy

Just a little update for the last three days.  I went up friday around noon.  To many chores in the morning.  I spent a little time working on the logged siding on the front before it started raining.

You will notice the ledger board above the door.  This will be where I attach the trusses for the deck.  I couldn't go any further because the ladder doesn't go an higher. :-\  I guess it will have to get the scaffolding out.

We also had a lot of rain so I worked most of the time on the inside on the T&G.  Man it is a pain.  The stuff I bought two years ago goes together easially but the new blue stain board is way to tight.  It also has a different look as you can tell in this picture.  The upper part is the blue stain.  The way this was lighted really brings out the difference.  The place where I bought the first batch isn't in business any more.  So the bottom half will be in the plain pine and the top half will be the blue stain.

Bottom half 85% done.  I would have finished but I need to run a little more electrical then I can finish.

Here is the east end upstairs.

I learned some lessons from last time.  When I got tired I took a break.  Watched the rain, turkeys, deer and my neighbor gray squirrel.  I also read a book my daughter wrote.  It's on amazon.  Proud papa.

suburbancowboy

7/25/2012 update
Here in utah july 24 is a state holliday.  So I took monday off and headed back to the cabin.  First day it rain quite a bit so I worked on the inside some.  Later in the day it cleared up and I worked on the south side log siding.  Around 9pm I finished. ;D 
Here is the pic of the south side complete.

The next day I got the last two outlets wired into the main line.  I am really getting to old to crawl around in the crawl space doing this kind of stuff. At least it is all done now.  I then focused on then getting the rest of the bottom half T&G completed.  The bottom is now 95 done. 

Most of it went together really easy.  This weekend my wife is coming up to start the finish work.  Sanding out some stamps out of the wood and sanding out some of the imperfections. 
Question that I have for all of you is would you fill in the nail holes with putty and then sand them or just leave them and put the semi gloss on over the holes???

I will also finish the T&G on the rest of the upper level.  It won't be fun working on the sections where the cat walk is.  With the cost and time I am begining to wish I had went with dry wall.  I would have been done by now.  Oh well I will love it after it is complete.

suburbancowboy

Just a quick update for the work for the last two week.  I have been busting my butt to get the most of the insides complete.  I have 20 people coming up in two weeks and I won't be able work on it this next weekend.  I have spent most of my time working on the T&G. 

Here is a fan that I got installed in the open celling.  Bad thing is the next day I hit it with a board and broke the globe to piece.   d*  Now I need to buy another one just for the globe.  It is a small one but only uses 5 watts on low. ;D

Here is an image of the temp scaffolding that I put up so I could work on the ceiling in the open area.  Nothing like working up 14 feet in the air.

Here is a shot of the completed T&G with the start of the railing.  Not all of it has had the poly put on yet but I can work on that later.

I have to get the railing complete before the grand kids come up in a couple of weeks.  I have to say I hate T&G as much as I hate roof work.  Expensive, warped boards, bad fitting boards, To small of grooves, and most of all it takes so long to complete.  It sure looks nice though. :)

Next is a picture of the bed room up stairs.  I have been buying log beds off of the classifieds.  Most have been around 50-75 dollars.  I love the blanket set from walmart also.  There is also a queen log bed in the room.  Looks the same as the others

rick91351

Have the underwriters started issuing policies again?

Seems as if things are really coming together nicely.   

rich2Vermont

Nice progress! I agree that T & G can be a real pain, but it makes such a world of difference inside. I'd love to hear about your daughter's book. Got a lnk to it? One of my daughter's just graduated as an illustration major. If she ever gets around to publishing something, I'll be happy to shamelessly promote it. ;-)

suburbancowboy

They are issuing policies now but the underwriter said my cabin is to far along to for a construction policy so I have to now wait till I get the CO permit.  What a pain.  By the end of September I should have that.  Just a couple of more weeks on the cabin then cleaning up on the outside for the fire marshal.

As far as my daughters books, go to amazon and look up Keary Taylor.  She has 5 I think, Branded set, Eden and What I didn't say. 

ColchesterCabin

I'm not much of a reader always seems to be something else to do but I couldn't help when I went through your thread go to amazon which took me to her website. You/she should be proud. I have mentioned the book to my wife to add to her reading lists if shes interested. Well done to her I can't imagine being that accomplished at 24.  [cool]
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Huge29

Nice work!  I found this forum as I searched for log siding for a cabin near to this project, in Scofield.  Where did you get your siding and what has been your experience?  I am having a hard time finding suppliers for it.  Which size and style is it? 

suburbancowboy

I got it from a place called my wood project.  They advertise on ksl alot.  Just click on lumber.  It is 2X8 no reveal.  It go on really easy in < 8 foot lengths.  Long the boards are very warped.  I tried doing 16 foot lengths but after fighting them so much I ended up cutting them in half.  Went up much faster.  If you build like mine you will have to put the exterior grade dry wall on first.  Doubles the cost.  Looks great.  I was going to go with hardie siding at first but decided that you only live once so when with what I wanted in my heart.

Also as a quick update.  This weekend my daughter was here from Washington state.  Orcas Island.  Also my sister and here family was here from texas.  Over the weekend we had 16 people there.  It was great.  I wish it could be like that every other weekend.  Here is a picture of when we got back from 4 wheeling.  The grand son 2 fell asleep on the ride.

Only a kid could sleep like this

Huge29

Thanks for the info!  I am on the site now.  Fun pics, I had my own kids do that same thing, the rocking seems to tucker them right out.

suburbancowboy

Update 8/27/2012

This last weekend we got to about 95% complete on the inside.

A few of the major things we got done was:
1. Got most of the light, switches, and outlets in. (Thanks father - in - law)
2. Got all the rest of the sanding complete.
3. Got poly on all the hand rails and stair.
4. Got the hand rails done and all the stiles put in.
5. Got the final cleanup done and 2/3 of the flooring put in

Hand rails on the stairs

Family area

Just for fun the colors are starting to change.

ColchesterCabin

Hope you don't mind but I am going to take inspiration in that phot of your stairs and landing. I think that is well done and looks awesome!
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Huge29

Very nice progress!  I can see a potential issue in that light right behind the entrance door as the door will hit it and possibly break it; do you have a big door stop or the hinge mounted door stops to protect it?  Otherwise, looks very nice!  The brush must be getting really dry to be turning colors already; that seems a little early. 

suburbancowboy

I agree, the colors are changing a coulpe of weeks early this year due to the dry conditions.  My father in law also pointed out the door and the light issue.  I need to get some of the hinge door stops to keep from getting hit.  Hopefully I can pick them up today.  After work I am heading down to the cabin to work on the out side.  Have a good day all.