Okanogan 20x30

Started by SkagitDrifter, September 30, 2008, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

germangirl if I recall I think he used "feedlot panels" which are pre-made panels.  They come in a variety of heights and configuration as far as the size of openings.  Without going back through his thread he can tell you of the method that he used in constrution.   SkagitDrifter I wasn't trying to hyjack your thread but I really hate it when my mind is running at high gear and I have to wait to complete my thought process.   d* 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/feedlot-panels/feedlot-panel-combo-16-ft--3610341

rick91351

Those panels around here -the taller ones are called wire cattle panels and are about four feet tall.  There is a shorter model called a hog panel and they are around three feet tall and are sixteen feet long.  Both are manufactured the same and are very heavily galvanized.  Some we have hit with paint and seems to hold very well.  They can be bowed very easy to haul in the back of a pick up but tie them in.   ;)  As they will or can work out.

You can use them in so many applications other than intended.  We have used them as SkagitDrifter to in the garden for pea and bean trellis  (You never have to to replace it.  I have installed them in four by fours in a couple rose arbors I have built.  I use them over the tops of the gates around the eight foot deer fence going into our orchard.  Wherever and however your imagine leads you.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JavaMan

Germangirl, I can tell you where he's located - in general.

There are a few of us building out in central Washington.  The county is Okanogan - but that is a pretty big county.  If I remember correctly, his place is up closer to a town called Tonasket, nearer to where Oljarhead is building.

Then again, my place is east and a bit south of them, near the county seat - the village of Okanogan, and south of the first county seat - Ruby - during the mining days.

It is beautiful here, but it is also quite dry, too.

germangirl

Thanks everyone! Michigan is nice with our lakes and all but when I see mountains and landscapes like yours my heart just melts! We'll look into our farm stores and see what we can find regarding those panels. It's nice to belong to a group like this  - everyone is so helpful! Have a wonderful weekend - we are having major storms going through the area including some tornadoes - now that I think about it I should probably shut this thing down! :o

SkagitDrifter

Hi Liesl- Thanks for the nice coments about our project.
Been fishing and out of touch for a few days.  No work on the cabin this weekend.

Test driving the new furniture for the cabin.

It looks like the gang has answered your question regarding the hog wire panels. Thanks guys.

A few more things...
The panels I used are a four inch grid which will meet building code. 
First I set my 4x4 posts and got them plumb- then took the mesurements between posts and created a list of panel sizes I needed.
Using 2x2 clear Cedar (ripped to net 1-1/2" x 1-1/4")  I make two frames the same size and attach the metal to one of the frames using U nails- then screw the two frames together sandwiching the hog wire between.
If you can find (and transport) the panels in 5' x 16' that is the way to go.  Using bolt cutters I cut the panel in half long ways and end up with 2 pieces 30" x 16'.  With the cedar frame and the 4" space between the deck surface and the bottom of the panel you net out at about 34-1/2" high - add the top rail cap and it will bring the total railing up to about 36". 

If you buy 4x8 sheets there is a lot of wasted material.  I can get a 5' x16' for about $60 at my local farm supply store- Clear cedar 2x2 runs about $.65 per linear foot in this part of the country.

Let me know if this helps - I would be happy to answer any other questions or post more pictures.
Good luck and post up some pictures of your progress.
All the best
Tom

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

JavaMan

What lake is that? And are there any good fish in it? or were you simply drowning worms  ;) (which can be a great way to pass the day  :) )

SkagitDrifter

Quote from: JavaMan on June 07, 2010, 02:47:33 PM
What lake is that? And are there any good fish in it? or were you simply drowning worms  ;) (which can be a great way to pass the day  :) )

Java-
The lake is to remain nameless due to an oath I swore many years ago.  I will say that it is in the northern part of the county.
Flyfishing only and most people who fish it practice catch and release.  If we ever hook up over there one of these days- I will take you to this lake- but you too will have to take the same oath of silence.  Deal?

SD

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

JavaMan

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on June 07, 2010, 03:12:56 PM

Quote from: JavaMan on June 07, 2010, 02:47:33 PM

Java-
The lake is to remain nameless due to an oath I swore many years ago.  I will say that it is in the northern part of the county.
Flyfishing only and most people who fish it practice catch and release.  If we ever hook up over there one of these days- I will take you to this lake- but you too will have to take the same oath of silence.  Deal?

SD

You got a deal on that one  :)  I love flyfishing ... I grew up fishing for smallmouth bass when we would go on vacations in WI and Canada

germangirl

Thanks Tom! Hope you caught some fish. I plan on having my husband read the "directions" when he gets home.  :)
-Liesl

OlJarhead

I was checking out photos -- good progress all around too -- and got to thinking about the hearth you're doing...perhaps I will have to meet you too! :D  We need to have an Okanogan club meet soon so we can share (actually so I can steal) ideas :D ;P

SkagitDrifter

Hey Gang-
Been picking away at various things over at the cabin and thought I would post an update.
We got the stone work done- the grout turned out a bit darker than I planned but it seems to look ok.
I'm sort of glad that job is done.
Also got the 4x8 Pine mantle installed.

We got about half of the loft's 2x6 car decking installed over the beams.  The space is 20' x 20' and I used full 20' long boards.
It was a bit of a trick loading them from the truck to the deck and through the front window up to the loft.  It would have been eaiser to use short lengths but I cut all the decking to length and put a coat of finish on them over on this side of the mountians- so no cutting, just installing- it went pretty fast.  I would have gotten the whole job done but my trucks lumber rack can only safely hold about 700 lbs.
I'll bring the next load over and finish it up next time.

Before we started on the car decking we gave the timbers a wash with some grey transparent stain- we were shooting for a weathered look to contrast the light color of the Spruce T&G decking.

I thought all the construction on the place was exciting until the GameCam found this guy.
There have been a few sightings in our area- this could explain the low deer numbers this year.  There have also been alot of cougar in our area.  These days I bring along the shotgun even on a short hike in the woods.    

I hope you all had a great weekend!

Abraham Lincoln

rick91351

We have a lot of coyotes around but they never seem to bother the deer population.  I would look to other reasons.  Cats are certainly a predator, might be with all the summer foliage you just are not seeing them.  There are also some other things that effect deer populations, habitat reduction, drought and disease.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

SkagitDrifter

Abraham Lincoln

Tom

It's hard to tell whether it's a wolf or a yote, without anything to reference the size.
Coyotes do impact the deer population here in MI, especially in the spring. Fawns make an easy target.

diyfrank

That doesn't look like a yote to me. I think it's one of these.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/99589814.html   [cool]
Home is where you make it

SkagitDrifter

Same shot- larger and lightened up a bit.  No question this is the Big Dog. 

Abraham Lincoln

glenn kangiser

Send him over here.. I have some deer to feed him.  They ate the leaves from our baby fruit trees.  Time for more string fences.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

A friend of mine has one of those as a pet!  He is the coolest "dog", every little boy's dream.  Cabin looks great BTW.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Yonderosa

The picture makes me think that is a subordinate wolf and there are others just outside of the frame.  Great picture.

LOTS of Yotes and Whitetails at my place this weekend.  Saw 8 deer (at least) together feeding in the meadow and kicked up another 4 down by the creek.  Bucks and Does, very spooky - usually don't see em' herded up together at this time of year.  Also, no fawns.  Got me wondering if there is a lot of predation pressure.  Haven't found any recent kills though.  Had Bucks hissing at me twice.

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

SkagitDrifter

Found a few of these out beating the bush- not too far from the GameCam.  I have a pretty big Lab but he would never be in this area without me.  There may be other dogs in the area too - not sure.
It looks like a pretty big print (my boot is a size 10)  but it could just be from the soil being soggy at the time the print was made. 

Abraham Lincoln

SkagitDrifter

Hey Gang-
Headed over to the cabin for one more push trying to wrap up the interior paneling.  Worked all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday- got a lot done but fell short.  No complaints - there were a few areas that took longer than I had planned.  The transitions between the walls and the rake and the transition between the flat ceiling and the rake.  I did not want a trim piece in these areas so we spent a bunch of time fitting each piece.  I was happy with the result.  All the high work is done with the execption of the window trim in the gable- the part we missed is in the loft gable, which I can get to without a ladder.

Still plenty more to do but this was a pretty productive weekend.  The down side is I did not hit the grouse woods at all this weekend- all work and no play- I'll fix that next time over.

Hope you all had a great weekend and got lots done on your projects.
Thanks for looking in-

Pine ceiling with fir walls.  Note the transitions- lots of time trying to make these look right.

Looking down from the loft.

Temporary living room chairs- it's getting chilly at night so we had to light the wood stove.

Open room below the loft - future kitchen and bath area.

The area we fell short on.  I'll finish it up next time.
Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

Fabulous!  Looks GREAT!  ;D

add:  Grouse are a bit more scarce this year it seems to me.  I suspect the wet weather was hard on the broods last spring.  I've only seen one on my place and figured I'd better leave him for next year to boost the numbers.  I'd generally expect to kick up a half dozen or so on a typical walk.  Recently the Bobcat is showing signs of being back - piles of feathers with no Turkeys in them, Deer are on HIGH alert too.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

SkagitDrifter

Quote from: Yonderosa on September 21, 2010, 10:46:24 AM

add:  Grouse are a bit more scarce this year it seems to me.  I suspect the wet weather was hard on the broods last spring.  I've only seen one on my place and figured I'd better leave him for next year to boost the numbers.  I'd generally expect to kick up a half dozen or so on a typical walk.  Recently the Bobcat is showing signs of being back - piles of feathers with no Turkeys in them, Deer are on HIGH alert too.

Yes- we're seeing the same thing up by us- a wet spring sure takes it's toll on the birds.  I have also decided to leave the grouse alone on my place this year.  I'll hunt the public ground for the rest of the season.  Lots of animals high on the food chain have been spotted in our area too.  It seems everyone is hungry these days.
Abraham Lincoln

John Raabe

That probably also explains our diminished bird population here as well. (Whidbey Island)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

SkagitDrifter

I forgot to post this on my last update...

Our oldest boy when off to US Marine Corp Boot Camp in San Diego recently.

I made this flag for him- It will weather outside for a few months and then will hang in a place of honor in the cabin.  We miss him and pray for his safety- but know he is on his way to great things.
Semper Fi

Abraham Lincoln