Member Map

Started by MountainDon, January 05, 2012, 04:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Did you notice the announcement on the Forum Portal?

There is a new added feature. It's a Member Map.
EDITED for clarity:

The Member Map is only visible to members who are logged in and in good standing. Participation in the map is strictly voluntary. It is easy to set up from your own profile page. If you are viewing the map after clicking on the Navigation Bar link, scroll down slightly. Under the map is a link "Click here to add or edit your pin location on the map". Click on that; your profile opens. Scroll down the page. Clicking on that map places your marker. Clicking again with the cursor on the "pinned marker" will remove your marker. Use the cursor "hand" to slide the map around, the plus/minus signs at upper left to zoom in/out.

You can chose the style of map you prefer with the link in the upper right corner of the map.

If you participate don't feel like you have to be totally accurate; anywhere in the vicinity should do. Just place your marker as close as you feel comfortable.

If you are a member who has not yet made any contributions to any topic you will not be able to add a marker. Simply add a cooment someplace and you will then be able to place a marker for yourself. Nothing to say? Go here and just say Hi. (Sorry about the inconvenience; one of our anti spam measures gets in the way of that.)

If you haven't found it the map has a button in the Navigation Bar. It also appears on your profile summary page. You can edit your map placement on your Forum Profile page as well. There are some instructions on your "Forum Profile" page that may help.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

OK Don there apparently is another step that I am missing.  Once I open the map and scroll down to Add/edit location it direct to the profile page.  Then I scroll down to Member Map there is a area for information to the right.  What is to be inserted in that location?  There is nothing left to click in that area nor is the map visible. 

MountainDon

click on this link. It's your Forum Profile page...

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;u=2097

Scroll 2/3 down and the map should be on the right side of the page
picture coming in a min or so.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

MountainDon

The display map downloads from Google. It may take a moment on slower connections or the whims of the web.

MountainDon

Hmmmmm.  It works for me and my "test dummies". I see Gary mapped himself.  Are yoy on the Forum Profile page, not the summary page. You can see the field where you have entered your signature line details if you are on the right page.  ???   

Do you see the map if you click on the Member Map link in the Navigation Bar?

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MtnDon on January 05, 2012, 07:19:02 PM
Hmmmmm.  It works for me and my "test dummies". I see Gary mapped himself.  Are yoy on the Forum Profile page, not the summary page. You can see the field where you have entered your signature line details if you are on the right page.  ???   

Do you see the map if you click on the Member Map link in the Navigation Bar?

Don I can get the map to show when I click on the "Members Map".  Then when I go to the add/edit bar and click which gives me my profile page nothing will appear adjacent to the "members map" on the profile page.  I guess everyone knows where I am from anyway.  d*

MountainDon

Try again later/tomorrow.... it may be a connection thing. ???

Have a look at the map; how did I do for an educated guess?

Gary O

Hey John

Are you clicking on the forum profile line?
If so, you s/be able to scroll down
and re-size the map on the right to your preference,
then click a flag on,
then click on the flag to remove (if it's not in the place you want it)

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Gary O

Quote from: MtnDon on January 05, 2012, 07:19:02 PM
Hmmmmm.  It works for me and my "test dummies". I see Gary mapped himself. 

rofl rofl
Yeah, if me and the other test dummies can do it.......
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Redoverfarm

OK everyone it wasn't me.  Apparently the computer. ;)  After trying on the desk top to no avail I tried my daughters miniture and BAMM it happened. Go figure.  I will try to edit it now and see if it will show again.  I know "if it ain't broke then don't fix it".  But inquiring minds want to know. ;D

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MtnDon on January 05, 2012, 08:11:29 PM
Try again later/tomorrow.... it may be a connection thing. ???

Have a look at the map; how did I do for an educated guess?

d* d* ??? OK did you make an educated guess on my location?  Now I am totally confused.  Only the second time in my life that that has happened. ;D  I did try to edit on my LT and it will not allow me.  Will try on the daughters.

MountainDon

Yes I took a guess, helped by being able to see your IP address.

Bob S.

How about a project map? Maybe a member could show the relationship between his/her residence and their build? I find how much it changes building projects fascinating.

MountainDon

Hmmm. There's only one location per member. For some reason I thought to use our cabin location, but for my test dummies I used my suburban neighborhood. I will be removing those though. I guess others might choose home base. ???  Not everybody has a project.

Perhaps the map should be named "Project Map"?  "Member Project Location Map is simply too long. It would make my Nav Bar overflow.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MtnDon on January 05, 2012, 09:10:01 PM
Yes I took a guess, helped by being able to see your IP address.

You were very close.  I edited it ( not on my LT) and I have got it sitting right at the house.  If you zoom in on that and change to Sat view it gives a pretty good picture.  Then drag the little fellow to the intersection of my drive and the state route and gives you a birds eye view.  I can just like the google application go south east to the WV & Va line and see Dogtrot.  So I really don't need a project location as they are almost one in the same. 

Thanks for the help Don.  Not sure what the problem is whether it is a firewall thing or what.  Any ideas?  I hate it not knowing that something is not working correctly.

Oh BTW thanks for getting it all  together with the map. Good idea.  I usually try to get them to place the location on the initial welcome time but few seldom do.

MountainDon

I'm not sure what the issue is?  ???  Can you view/use Google Maps on that computer? 

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MtnDon on January 05, 2012, 10:32:41 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is?  ???  Can you view/use Google Maps on that computer?

I had never tried before but just did with no problem.

Sassy

heh heh  I had to show Glenn how to do it - that doesn't happen very often  ;D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

UMMMMmmmm ... uh... obviously it must have been one of them there same computer problems like Redover was having.... that's right isn't it there, John...... john.... ???
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

I'm looking at the member map buttons and see that it shows the Web link icon if you have filled out one in your profile. It seems like a great use of that earth icon link would be to set it to the URL of your build tread on the forum. That way you can see what others in your region are building and get updates right from the member map.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 05, 2012, 11:03:07 PM
UMMMMmmmm ... uh... obviously it must have been one of them there same computer problems like Redover was having.... that's right isn't it there, John...... john.... ???

I'm with you buddy.  I usually don't have a problem with following directions as long as all the parts are there and working.   ;D

MountainDon

John, I was curious so had a look at the SMF mod support forum. I did not read everything... the thread is some 80 pages long over a few years. However, there have been a few people who have experienced an issue similar to he trouble you were having. Assorted brands of browsers have been involved. For every person with a problem though there seem to be thousands who have had no issues. No solutions listed.   [noidea'

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on January 06, 2012, 04:49:04 PM
John, I was curious so had a look at the SMF mod support forum. I did not read everything... the thread is some 80 pages long over a few years. However, there have been a few people who have experienced an issue similar to he trouble you were having. Assorted brands of browsers have been involved. For every person with a problem though there seem to be thousands who have had no issues. No solutions listed.   [noidea'

Don thanks for looking into it. I haven't a clue. ???.  What is puzzling is that my laptop & desk top would not load the map on the forum page but do load Goggle maps independently.  The daughters little computer didn't have a problem.  Oh well I am there/here so that is what counts.  Wouldn't want to be just wondering around CP without anyone knowing where I was.  ;D