Vertical log cabin foundation [PIC] - Need thoughts

Started by verycoolwinter, November 02, 2009, 02:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verycoolwinter

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting.  Thanks for the website!

Anyway, my wife and I are planning on building a vertical log cabin in Alaska in about a year or two.  I really want the cabin to have an insulated floor, but I haven't found much info on the best way to construct the foundation and flooring with insulation in mind.

Here is a picture of my plan:

I even made a video for YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw95BIJh-xI

I love constructive criticism!

Thanks,

John
"I'm always thinking about Alaska."

lonelytree

John,
   The Mat-Su Borough is as big as some states with many building challenges. Snow load, permafrost, etc..... The Kenai is home to too many people that drive too fast for conditions. Just what EXACTLY are you heading to Alaska for? Your lot selection is CRITICAL to your experience!

I do not believe that your sonatubes are deep enough. Water lines in Anchorage are 9 feet deep. Cement is very expensive. Piling is not cheap. Depending on exactly where you build may determine your foundation. Some (most) areas are prone to movement no matter what. Adjustability is important.

#7 - Vapor barriers need to be on the side with the warmth. You "may" want a breathable Tyvek type material. I will be putting up 1/2" OSB as the critters don't eat it. Porcupines eat PT wood.

BTW - Welcome to Country Plans!

Mike

NM_Shooter

Oh crap.  Porcupines eat PT wood?  I was hoping that was safe.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

verycoolwinter

Hi lonelytree,

My wife and I want a place in Alaska in which we can have our privacy and grow lots of veggies in the summer.  I also want to get back into my art, and make some money from this.  We are coming next summer to volunteer at some organic farms and then we'll look at places to buy some land.

Thanks for your ideas!  They are very helpful!

John
"I'm always thinking about Alaska."