cottage

Started by downeast, March 11, 2008, 05:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downeast

Hello All,

I wanted to get some feedback on a project I'm thinking of doing...but I can't find anything like it.

I want to do a rubble trench foundation with a continous concrete grade beam.  Then I want to take 6"x6" rough hemlock in various lengths (6' to 16') and piece them together using either rebar or landscape screws in order to 'crib' my exterior walls to about 10' tall.  Then I would put a regular gable roof on the cottage.  Any thoughts on why this is not a good idea?

Thanks

Downeast

MountainDon

w* downeast

Quote6"x6" rough hemlock in various lengths (6' to 16') and piece them together using either rebar or landscape screws in order to 'crib' my exterior walls to about 10' tall.

If I'm following this correctly, do you mean laid horizontally with rebar/whatever "pins" driven through holes drilled through to tie layers together?

The first thing I have to ask when confronted with a question like this is... does the structure have to be approved by the local building code officialdom? Because it sounds like something code officials would have problems with.

How deep is your frost depth?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

downeast

Exactly...the 6x6s would be laid horizontally, butted against each other, holes predrilled, and then pinned/screwed to the layer below...like the butt/pass method except using 6x6s that do not span the entire length of the wall.

My frost depth is 48"...I was planning on the rubble trench being 5' deep just for added insurance.

In my area there are no building code officials to tangle with.

Thanks for the interest.  The reason I'm thinking of do this is that the 6x6s are readily available and cheap.  Also I thought that the look would be appealing and for the heating benefits.

Thanks again.

glenn kangiser

I don't think it will be great insulation, but may work a bit as a thermal flywheel so still give some value.

My uncle --from Wisconsin built an entire home from short 2x4 scraps stacked in this way, in Oregon.  It did make shelter.  It burned down later.  Probably a booboo with his wood stove.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

From what I recall reading, solid wood walls do not have great R-value ratings. However, in some climates, the mass of the wall timbers help make up a little. In the daytime sun the walls absorb the suns rays and build up a store of heat. The heat slowly makes it's way though the wall thickness. Some of the heat of course is radiated back outside, but some is also radiated into the interior overnight.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.