Accessing archives

Started by Alasdair, August 15, 2008, 10:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasdair

Hullo,

During my meandering exploration of the forum I've noticed that occasionally administrators post links to old design/build forum topics which are (I presume) archived somewhere else.
I tried to bookmark one or two of these topics but without the link from the site access was forbidden...
so now of course my appetite is whetted and I want to see all the goodies you're keeping hidden from us!
Is there anyway for ordinary users to search the old topics?

Al

glenn kangiser

If it was migrated to this forum as most things were, then the  search buttons above should get you there, Al.  There are 3 search functions above.  In general the one on the blue line is the most complete.

The old forums did have some things that did not make it to this one due to software glitches etc on transfer , but spammers have been destroying them and John just had to temporarily shut down access to them due to that problem.

Spammers have been ruining a lot of forums with their trash.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Those old Yabb forums are too easy to attack with todays spammers. This forum started many years ago with a really loose forum that is not being run by anyone today as far as I know.

The two versions of Yabb where our middle years and now with SMF we are running pretty smoothly. It is still not as easy to search with Google as I would like - it seems that vbulletin is better for that.

Like we did before I'm having to cut off access to the old forum postings. Sorry for the inconvenience.

An old friend once told me that two moves was equal to one good fire... Something always seems to be lost when you make a big change.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

Here are two things that will help find things fast on either the CountryPlans website or just the current forum postings. I think this CP/google search works better than using the built-in search on the SMF forum itself.

First, setup your browser (this tip is for Firefox, our suggestion for the best browser). Set the browser to automatically search for a phrase on the page as soon as you start typing (Tools, Options, Advanced, Accessibility, check search for text...).

Now, click the main CountryPlans SEARCH PAGE.

Once there use either the upper search (for the main site pages) or lower search (for the SMF forum pages). When you pick a link from the Google results headers you can immediately start typing the search term and Firefox will jump to the place on that page when the first instance of the term is found. F3 should jump to the next occurrence.

Note that if you search the upper box looking in the main CP site you may get links to the old yabb Design/Build Forum that cannot be accessed now.

See how that works for you and post further suggestions here.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, John.  I'll try that.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.