Smoke detector placement-recommendations for Victoria's Cottage

Started by MikeT, April 28, 2009, 09:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

John, et al:

For my Victoria's Cottage project with no real changes to the layout you originally designed, where do you recommend smoke detectors go?  I understand the minimum code requirements but I think I need to take the following into account:

I have a wood stove in the same location as Dennis Kuhn.
I have a loft above the bathroom and kitchen area.
I am planning on having a ceiling fan in the center of the great room.
Ceilings are cathedral ceilings.

Do you like the idea of wall mounts on the gable end near the top of the wall?  That would be both the bedroom and the great room?  Loft?

Thanks,
mt

John Raabe

I would have a smoke and CO detector at the top of the loft area (at a reachable spot not necessarily the peak) and another under the loft area near but not in the kitchen.

If you have closed off bedrooms you may need additional units per code in halls or inside the room protecting access routes.

If allowed I would use battery units as this will let you move them around to get the best location for the tradeoff of full protection vs over sensitivity.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Around here in new construction the code authority requires smoke and CO detectors to be hard wired in series. Battery units are only permitted as an add on later on.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

Thanks.  Do you have a sense of the things to look for when purchasing smoke/CO detectors?  Is there a brand that is highly regarded as being reliable?

mt

MountainDon

What I know...

Replace smoke alarms after 10 years, and CO alarms after five. IReplace batteries at least once a year.

Get an ionizing (for flames) and photoelectric (for visible smoke) type. (Dual sensing smoke alarm for fastest response.)

Some AC hardwired types have battery backups. Good idea I think. Remember to change the batteries.

I've read that there are some alarms that can record a parents voice warning message. Apparently test have shown that some youngsters through to teenagers can sleep through the shrill piercing alarm but awaken to a mother's voice.

The ratings I recall seeing in Consumer Reports had most of these pretty equal on performance, IIRC. I think they had a test about a year or so ago.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

Regarding putting them up high remember not to stick them up in the fold next to the ceiling or jammed in a corner where there is a dead zone the smoke doesn't get to. They will trip quicker if the air wafts by them. Just as an upcoming code heads up, the sprinkler vote passed this time around. Supposedly sprinklers will be required in all new residential by 2011. Scream early, often and loud.

MikeT

I actually was planning on the sprinkler already for my place. 

mt

Don_P

Like so many things, its a great idea that should be voluntary not mandated. I'm hoping our state chooses not to adopt that section.

MikeT

The only reason I am interested in the code adoption is that I figure more people will stock the materials and offer the services.  Right now, it is hard to get guidance for a DIYer.  What is especially interesting is the systems that run off the potable water....but trying to find folks who stock the stuff and know about it is hard....

mt