Tornado Proof?

Started by Redoverfarm, February 06, 2008, 10:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

At least it will take the walls with it.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desimulacra

Here is a pretty good shelter and I like the fact it is "in" the house. Whike the garage is further than a shelter should be it is a lot closer than outside in the cold and rain.

http://www.swimaloha.com/flatsafe.htm
West Tennessee

considerations

"a missing rock means a tornado"

Weather rocks are regionally attuned?  I have never seen that item on the list before. 

What a hoot! I don't think I want to test mine to see if it is calibrated for this.

rofl

firefox

There is a Titan missle site in Washington with 56 acres of land for a mere 1.5 million. On ebay. But it is a real waste of money, since I don't think there are any sizable tornados there ???
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Native_NM

Properly constructed ICF homes are rated to withstand an F3.  A single-story ICF home using a monolithic polydiagonal footer (whatever the heck that is) can withstand an F4, depending on proximity to other structures and the amount of debris.  Homeowners who build an ICF safe-room (above ground) within an ICF constructed home can expect to survive an F4/F5 tornado as long as the roof of the safe-room is constructed of concrete.

According to the article, the most cost-effective way to provide tornado protection in areas where basements are not practical is to build an ICF safe-room within the interior of a traditional wood home.  For best results, the ICF's should be installed at the same time the slab is poured to provide a monolithic structure.  Above ground safe rooms are more practical than basements or other underground shelters as most people still do not have adequate warning.  Many survivors still recount tales of how they only had seconds to seek shelter. 

The greatest danger is from flying debris and being crushed by the destroyed structure.  Interestingly, getting sucked into a black swirling cloud of death is not that common.  Many victims are found within or very close to their original location.

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

glenn kangiser

For the cheapies out there a $50 underground house can work also.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_C

Here is a PDF file on how to build a safe room   http://www.icfresource.com/fema320.pdf

I haven't read it but I thought some here might be interested.

jb52761

Here is my take on this.....My old cabin that I am re-building here on my property is half underground. The entire 8 foot back wall, and half the side walls are underground, poured concrete. The front is exposed. Last spring a funnel dropped itself out of nowhere as I was working in the place. I didn't see it but I could hear it coming. Central Illinois here, I've heard and seen them before, trust me. Anyway, the air pressure was so strong it dropped a full grown maple tree onto my porch area, just missing the front wall by 3 feet. Here's the kicker....the "vaccum effect" then shot through the cabin as I had the windows open. It proceded to shoot right through to the back wall, went through my wood burning stove, up the flue and chimney, and blew the the rain cap completely off the stainless double chimney. Ironically, the rain cap came down, landed right next to the base of the stainless, on the roof, and the only thing that was missing was the round piece of metal on the cap that you twist to lock the rain cap into place. Thank God I didn't have a fire going.....jb....p.s. when I installed the new plates that the roof trusses rest on, I bolted them down to the concrete every two feet, and the trusses are anchored into steel "seats"  that I then nailed down like some kind of crazy person.

considerations

I was in Georgia in 1998 with FEMA during the flooding and tornado disasters.  I'd never seen a tornado or its effects before that.  They are humbling.  I found myself wondering if even a low profile concrete dome house could withstand the forces of such awesome winds.

I tripped over this site today, says they are rated to 150MPH and it all comes delivered on a flatbed. 

http://www.rocioromero.com/LVSeries/LVM.htm

mikkelibob

In Texas a number of companies sell what is basically a modifed sceptic tank. Cement, 5x7, under $4k installed. Only $3k if you don't mind a little mound nearby. Pretty decent deal if you were going to have a poured slab. It might even work well as mini-basement for some storage things.

jarrellstormshelters.com

cordwood

Well we are coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the big Arkansas tornado, In the past week I have seen 3 new storm shelters with PADLOCKS on the doors and one with so much stuff in it you couldn't fit in it. d*
All too often people don't think about a disaster until AFTER it happens, I am sure this spring there will be a tornado wipe out a trailer and a news crew will show up to interview the EX trailer occupants that your closed captioning wont even be able to understand saying something about sounding like freight train and "We just started a prayen" and "We never thunk it'ed happin ta us" and showing their 2009 pick-up in a tree and them saying they couldn't afford a shelter!?!? ::) But I don't have to worry about them coming here,....We don't have a trailer, Family, 2009 pick-up OR A SHELTER ???
Spring is coming,....Might as well get started preparing NOW!..... And Southernsis, How is that move to New Mexico going?
I think I'll go procrastinate some more d* d* d*
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Native_NM

Here is another link for those interested -

http://www.polysteel.com/hmowner_ben-strong.htm

Maybe a basement or walk-out made from ICF with the cabin on top. 

They represent that they can withstand 250MPH winds!

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Redoverfarm

I know it is an old thread but I just ran across a couple in MS that got their house destroyed.  They went with a new building system for their replacement.  I would hate to guess on the cost associated but appears to be able to handle what ever mother nature throws at them. Not real sure how it wouold work out in tremor country.

The system is  Dac-Art.

Dac-Art blocks are precast concrete blocks.  The Dac-Art method builds homes that are over 14"  (up to 36") of solid concrete and rebar.  The finished look is similar to an Italian stone structure.  They are hoping to make the home as economical as possible.  The thermal mass and r value of the home help create an economical home, but they are also going with a Geothermal Air Conditioner with a closed loop system.

http://www.goldenroc.org/

southernsis

Cordwood, decided against New Mexico. We are keeping our place here in Arkansas. Built a shelter and figure if it is meant to happen to us, nothing more we can do. To us the ice storm was worse than the EF4 that hit last year. Our other place is in Oregon. Decided to have a place in my old stomping grounds.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

glenn kangiser

Don't remember if you said what part of Oregon, Sis.  I was originally from Lincoln City.

southernsis

Glenn, it is near Beatty. I was born in Portland and lived in a town called Canby. Also lived in Ontario, Or. My hubby and I like the high desert area of Oregon.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

glenn kangiser

I was born in McMinnville - well -- OK -- so they told me they found me under a rock.. hmm 

I had an ex-bro in law from Ontario.

The high desert is a cool area but also a cold area - except summer - then it can be hot.

BobHHowell

When we lived in NW Georgia, we had quite a few tornados.  We were living in a split level.  The garage was under the second story.  The first level was above a crawl space.  The county had these gawd-awful WWII bomb sirens that would sound when a tornado was spotted.  The sound scared our three boys who were small at the time.  We had no safe place to go.

I had a friend who built bank safes build us -- what was more or less -- a large walk in closet in the garage out of cinder block.  The cinder block was filled with rebar and sand -- and a re-inforced concrete roof topped it off.  My wife thought this was a complete waste of money until a hurricane came up from the gulf as far north as Atlanta.  Tornados spawned everywhere.  Our house was fine.  But a huge maple in the back yard was pulled up by the root ball.  Some of the surrounding woods looked like a team of men had sawn a clean path through the forrest -- but only taking the top half of the trees.  Anyway -- that night -- my wife assessment of my IQ increased dramatically as we heard all  manner of things slam into the metal garage doors. 

Tornado winds are a lot faster than your average hurricane.  Unless you have something that will stop a 2 x4 moving at projectile speeds, you will never be completely safe without a LOT of mass between you and what the wind is blowing at you. 

bayview

High winds knocked down a home by Rio Vista Texas.  The mother and children were able to get into the storm shelter.  The door of the shelter was blocked with debris.

Fortunately she was able to call for help with her cell phone . . .
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

glenn kangiser

Bet you didn't have any trouble getting her to go in there, Bob. :)