Tractors

Started by OlJarhead, June 15, 2012, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

For the $15k they want I'd go to a New Holland if price is only consideration since the price is only slightly more for same size.

More then likely I'll get a Mahindra, JD or New Holland at this point (It's narrowing down to that I think).

Mostly like final factor will be financing and parts/service availability at the property....with the 5yr warranty on the Mahindra adding a little extra weight to the equation.

If JD has the same warranty though, then I might have to go that route since a JD dealer is right there in that neck of the woods -- my only issue is that the JD is really, I think, a Yanmar and I'm not sure they are as good as the Mitsubishi Manhindra.

astidham

When I bought my JD 3032 they also had the 3038.
the difference was a turbo.
they both had the same lift/pull capability.
the 3038 was $1000. or a little more than the 3032.
also, What made me choose JD over other brands, and since I was buying a package deal, frontier implements were better made than the howse implements included with the other deals I was looking at.
also my JD is a hydrostatic drive... I love the feature.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

OlJarhead

Good points -- the 3032 (E or D can't remember) is what I was looking at but the price was for the 38 -- seemed like a nice tractor with good features -- some things I liked better then the NH and some on the NH I liked better then the JD -- seems 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

The Mahindra 3616 is about the same price as the JD3038 and pretty much the same power though I think it lifts more (have to double check that)...

Parts are more available at the property for the JD I imagine but financing isn't as good....6 of one....

astidham

good luck on your search, I like orange, green, blue, or red.
a buddy of mine has a mahindra, and he loves it! he has owned it for years, and has never had a problem.
just remember, get a tractor that has everything you think you will need.
power steering, shuttle shift or hydro, loader, 4wd, maybe a remote or two?
Its cheaper to do it the first go around.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

OlJarhead

This one:
Has really gotten my attention.  $20k if bought this month with good financing options and 50hp!  It's a beast!

I think with the loader it weighs over 7000 lbs and the salesman tells me that he believes it's actually the best deal money can buy right now in Mahindra's (almost the same price as the 4035 40hp tractor -- less actually -- and only $1400 more then the 36hp 3616 that weighs almost half as much).

Many on tractorbynet seem to think 40-50hp is what I need to look for and in a Utility not a compact....

Price isn't bad, size is HUGE but power to lift a LOT of weight and run any implement I could dream of.

alex trent

If you need power and weight, that sure looks like a deal.  On the other hand, if you do not, sometimes too big is a hinderance.  you don't what a garden tractor, but there is a reason you see all those 30-35 horse tractors on big farms. After giving you all that "buy small" advice, I probably would buy the big one

OlJarhead

Quote from: alextrent on June 20, 2012, 03:53:32 PM
If you need power and weight, that sure looks like a deal.  On the other hand, if you do not, sometimes too big is a hinderance.  you don't what a garden tractor, but there is a reason you see all those 30-35 horse tractors on big farms. After giving you all that "buy small" advice, I probably would buy the big one

I go back and forth but the price keeps making me think that if I can't save $5000 on buying a 35hp compact then why do it?  I have 20 acres to work and about 3 miles of road to grade, plow and fix....maybe the big one is the ticket....I don't really know though

alex trent

Three mile of road...I go for the big one. Just the bigger grading tools will save you lots of time.

Rob_O

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 20, 2012, 01:01:47 PM

This one has really gotten my attention.  $20k if bought this month with good financing options and 50hp!  It's a beast!

Price isn't bad, size is HUGE but power to lift a LOT of weight and run any implement I could dream of.

I think you have a winner there.
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

zion-diy

my tractor is butt ugly, but even with only 1/2 mile of road to maintain,4600 ford, 50 hp is where it's at. Neighbor has a 30 hp New Holland, nice little tractor, but not near big enough to do any real work. Sad part was he had to come borrow mine because his wouldn't pull a decent disc. plus a bigger tractor can pull a much larger bush hog.

Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

OlJarhead

Trying to get final details worked out now! :D

Mahindra 5010 50hp 4wd with loader and canopy, box blade and mower!

Hoping to go back to the dealer Friday....I'm pretty stoked!  Can't to get mowing, skidding logs, cleaning up the mess and so much more!

OlJarhead

Details worked out for the most part -- appt set for Friday....I might not make it to Friday though!  I'm too excited!  [cool]

firefox

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

OlJarhead

considerations

Having yearned for a small tractor for several years has given me lots of time to explore...and...don't forget that you will need a place to put it when not in use.  Winters are not friendly to equipment...hydraulics and all that.

OlJarhead

A $3000 water line repair in our home may put this tractor buying on hold :(

Maybe we'll get lucky and the repair will cost less but maybe we won't....either way, unexpected repairs like this suck.

Rob_O

Quote from: OlJarhead on June 28, 2012, 11:35:28 AM
A $3000 water line repair in our home may put this tractor buying on hold :(

Now you have a excuse need for that backhoe attachment you wanted but couldn't justify buying
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

OlJarhead

Quote from: Rob_O on June 28, 2012, 06:52:53 PM
Now you have a excuse need for that backhoe attachment you wanted but couldn't justify buying

LOL nah, luckily I got a second opinion and with the help of the new guy was able to find the problem and dramatically reduce the cost of repairs!

WhooHoo!  I think the tractor might be back on the menu!

OlJarhead

WE DID IT!!!  WHooHoo!

mgramann