Tractors

Started by OlJarhead, June 15, 2012, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Not sure if anyone has asked this of forum members but what are your thoughts on the following:

20acres of land, mostly pine forest but with at least 5 or 6 acres of relatively flat pasture, 2+ feet of snow in the winter, -30 degree temps possible, 3 miles of private unimproved road (some of which you might want to plow or blow snow off of), penty of slash piles to move as well as dirt and rock.  Desire to mow (brush hog) 10+ acres of the land.

What size in HP of a tractor would you buy?

Also, I've been looking at the following tractors and wonder if any of you have experience with them, the manufacturers etc etc....

Manhindra 3616 4wd 36hp with loader -- $18630 list plus loader (not listed)
Manhindra 4035 4wd 40hp with loader -- $22590 list plus loader (not listed)
Note:  those are the list prices on the HST model but the Shuttle is a lower price (not sure why) and I couldn't get actual price with a loader as it states higher 3 point hitch and loader CAPACITY.

Massey Ferguson 1635 w/loader and 60" standard bucket -- $25474
Massey Ferguson 2605 w/loader and 66" standard bucket -- $23631 (this is my preference I think)

Branson 3520R w/loader and standard bucket (not sure of size) -- ~$22500  (probably least likely to buy at this point).

I looked at the Case tractors (my wifes father was a Case guy from way back) but price seemed quite a bit more then the rest and I'm not interested in a green tractor (snicker)...nor a Kubota (price seems too high for me)....so, if you had you choice would you go with the Massey or is there another brand I ought to look at?

I've been looking at both used and new and know of a Massey 245 that is being painted right now after a complete overhaul and with a loader will run $8500 and is only 2wd which might be tough in the winter at my place.

Anyway, I'm not in a hurry and know some of you have tractors that you use a lot so please feel free to tell me what you think.
Thanks!
Erik

alex trent

I have some pretty serious tractor experience.

My take on your needs.

1. 30 hp is plenty...more is OK but not needed.
2. 4WD ...definitely
3. Good used is good and may be great. You will to be using it all that much so not a great need to pay for more than you need in terms of "remaining hours". Lots of very accurate ways to check major parts for wear. etc.
4. Along with #3...lots of farmers trade really good machines and Ag prices been good lately, so farmers by a new tractor, new pick up and whatever else next. Might be worthwhile to go into hard Ag country to buy as the casual user tractor can have lots of issues.
5. Mahindra...no
6. If you mean JD when you say green, you need to get over it as best you can have, especially used.

OlJarhead

Quote from: alextrent on June 15, 2012, 09:40:33 PM
I have some pretty serious tractor experience.

My take on your needs.

1. 30 hp is plenty...more is OK but not needed.
2. 4WD ...definitely
3. Good used is good and may be great. You will to be using it all that much so not a great need to pay for more than you need in terms of "remaining hours". Lots of very accurate ways to check major parts for wear. etc.
4. Along with #3...lots of farmers trade really good machines and Ag prices been good lately, so farmers by a new tractor, new pick up and whatever else next. Might be worthwhile to go into hard Ag country to buy as the casual user tractor can have lots of issues.
5. Mahindra...no
6. If you mean JD when you say green, you need to get over it as best you can have, especially used.

Great feedback thanks :)

My father-in-law was a die hard Case man and described John Deeres in a way that wasn't flattering ;)  and while I don't really have an issue with any manufacturer because I don't know tractors I just think he'd roll over in his grave if I bought a 'Green $#%#@' tractor! lol -- actually my wife has to approve the sale too and I think if I said I was getting a JD she'd refuse to go along with it on principle.

Maybe not though and I've looked at some of them because frankly I think they might be cheaper.

Used has been my main focus actually, and I've seen a LOT of good used tractors though I find it harder to find Case and Massey Ferguson's used then I do John Deeres and Kubota's etc -- and when I was looking at trucks back in the 90's you could find tons of Fords and Chevy's but not so many Dodges.  Why?  The theory was that people kept their dodges.

I don't know if it works that way for tractors but I'm assuming (because I'm a rookie) that it's the same way.  THe Kubota lovers, well, love orange and the John Deere fanatics love Green and the Massey and Case guys love red....or something like that....

Anyway, I was surprised by your comment on the Manhindra actually, because I know they just won a big award while the Branson's have a poorer reputation I think.

Anyway, thanks again!  I'm seriously looking at used Massey's but might have to compare them to JD's to see what prices I can get.

A 4wd 35hp Green tractor for $10k is better then same year same spec red one for $15k in my book! ;)

OlJarhead

Also looked at some New Holland tractors but they just seemed small compared to similar priced Massey's.

OlJarhead

Looked at a similar JD to the Massey I prefer and it was about $5000 more then the Massey and $7k more then the Branson.

astidham

I have a JD 3032e i bought new in 2009.
it is 4WD, tractors with loaders need 4WD if you plan on using the loader.
I have small acreage and wish I would have bought one with more than 30 hp.
at the same time, if i would have bought a 50 hp, I would probably want a 80 hp.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Arky217

You might want to check out TractorByNet.com, you can learn a lot about tractors from the forums there.

I know that if you want to get a good buy on a used tractor, you should check your sources on a daily basis.

I looked for two years before I finally found a good buy; I was finally considering a new tractor when I saw a new listing on Craig's list. By that time, I had learned enough about tractors to know to jump on the one I finally got. It was a Kubota L4200. The seller was moving overseas and wanted a quick sale. I paid right at about 50% of what they were selling for across the country.

If I had bought new, it was going to be a Kioti. From what I have read by the owners on the forums, they offer the quality of Kubota at several thousands less.

Good luck,
Arky

alex trent

Likely should not have been so negative on the Mahindra...no real first hand experience. 

A couple of grand is well worth it for one that goes...or else the fun goes out of it. 

Kubota ia a great tractor in the 30-40 HP range.

Hardest working tractor I owned was a 30 HP IH..about 10 years old but had a life on a tobacco farm where there was no heavy work. 2WD but never missed a lick.

fcpnorman

I researched, test drove and stayed up all night trying to figure out what tractor to buy. Here is my two cents... You will not go wrong with the Big 3- Kubota-JD and NH. You will pay a little more for the JD, than the Kubota or NH. All compact tractors are made overseas. Some are assembled in the USA. Mitsubishi, Yanmar and others are off brands of the NH and JD.
I bought a Kubota- My decision was based on parts availablity, repair work, dealer support, and re-sale value. I agree with what someone else said about Tractorby net- great site.

Your decision on HP has a lot to do with what you intend to do. I use mine for everything from cleaning the barn to mowing to grading my driveway. I have the B-2410 HST. I have a blade, box scaper, mower and auger. The reason I went with the B2410 is so that I could get it into the barn and through my trees when I mow. My neighbor had a 35 hp with a backhoe. It seemed a little top heavy and I felt for the money spent on the backhoe attachment , he could have rented an excavator that is much easier to operate.

If you have any slope at all- 4wd and HST is a must. With the HST you can stop on a slope, without applying the brake. The HST allows a lot of freedom and no clutch to tire your left leg out.
If you go with a smaller tractor, just plan on more time to complete the project. I love spending time on my tractor so- more time to complete a project is great.

Good luck

OlJarhead

Thanks for the posts.

Had a chat with my dad who grew up on a farm.  He told me about his fathers Farmall A (15hp?) that they used nonstop to work the farm (in Iowa).

He suggested I didn't need new nor any bigger then 30hp.

The 4wd he felt wasn't really needed except that he then commented with the grades I have to drive (and clear of snow) that the 4wd might be better to have.

So I'm taking another look for used 4wd tractors in the 30hp range.

astidham

my first tractor was a 2 wheel drive without a loader, a Mitsubishi.
now that I have a tractor with a loader, I'm not sure how I ever lived without it.
I use the loader bucket to move lumber scraps, tools, of coarse dirt and gravel.
in your area, would be good for snow removal.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

CjAl

tractor of.choice is more of a regional thing. just dont buy one of the non brand name ones and buy the one that has the closest shop for repairs and parts for you.  buying "the best" tractor doesnt help if its 300mi to get an oil filter

alex trent

I wish I had need for a tractor! They are not only useful (but not for me) but fun machines.

CjAl

i like old tractors. my new place is just under an acre so i dont need a tractor but i want one so i am looking for a farmall cub with a belly mower and a blade

rick91351

Quote from: CjAl on June 16, 2012, 09:09:32 AM
i like old tractors. my new place is just under an acre so i dont need a tractor but i want one so i am looking for a farmall cub with a belly mower and a blade

You can mount a blade under the belly of a IH Cub and works very well as a minigrader

Quote from: CjAl on June 16, 2012, 07:16:06 AM
tractor of.choice is more of a regional thing. just dont buy one of the non brand name ones and buy the one that has the closest shop for repairs and parts for you.  buying "the best" tractor doesnt help if its 300mi to get an oil filter

I am more concerned with parts being available.  I can always keep a filter and air cleaner on the shelf.  However that said my buddy was in Portland bought a Yanmar used off a landscape guy.  It, the trailer and all the implements from a loader to scraper and brush mower.  I laughed when he told me about his buy.  Good luck getting parts I said.  He is a fixer and fusser type guy.  Anything he needs is here the following day so it seems. 

OJ my dad he never spoke well of JD Green.  We were IH around the farm and ranch.  Yet way after he retired we realized we made the most of his money with an old JD A loader tractor I still have.  That is going to be one of my retirement winter projects rebuilding it. 

As far as four wheel drive at almost seems as if it doubles your power.  Then there is do you want balast in your tires or not and what type of fluid to use.  They have gotten away from the old stand by Calcium Chloride as it is very corrosive.  I have seen a list of fluids available and freezing resistance from water to beet juice.  Don't laugh it is good down to -35 and available through a dealer network  and is non toxic and almost as heavy as Calcium Chloride.  I have a IH that the rims need replaced because of the Calcium Chloride over the years.         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Interesting day.

I went to the New Holland dealer and found a 1520 35hp w/loader for $16,900 and a 1510 w/loader for $15375

That tractor actually looks and sounds like just about the right size for my needs and the price is quite a bit less then I expected.

I then went to the JD dealer to see what they were offering in a similar class.  I got a lot of talk about how great they are (I might add) and the tractor (3038E w/loader) lists at $16,780 according to the website and I was quoted  $18,900 after taxes.

So not much difference and cheaper then I expected.  I was also told I could get a 41hp w/loader (4035 I think) for about $20k.

All in all I'm still thinking the 1520 New Holland is a good deal and would likely do all I wanted but the JD 3038E is about the same with the same pricing more or less.

Still trying to get information on dealer pricing of Massey's and other brands but it's looking more and more like New Holland and JD have decent small tractors with loaders in a price range I might be able to live with.

CjAl

you cant go wrong withbeither one. i always bought new holland skid loaders over john deer because the jd hydraulics always felt clunky to me. but i like jd tractors.

OlJarhead

Quote from: CjAl on June 16, 2012, 03:15:40 PM
you cant go wrong withbeither one. i always bought new holland skid loaders over john deer because the jd hydraulics always felt clunky to me. but i like jd tractors.

THanks

I noticed on the JD the rear diff lock was a half pressed break peddle (which makes me pause because I can see bouncing up and down on it in rough terrain) whereas the NH locking diff control was a lever.

OlJarhead

http://www.tractor.com/manufacturers/new-holland/2011-new-holland-t1510-review-1466.html
Good review on the NH 1510

I liked the 35hp model but Dad says I don't need that much.

On a side note, used tractors are getting harder to find and higher in price!  I hadn't given it much thought before but I guess the bad economy has driven a lot of people to buy used.

Food for thought.

CjAl

new holland is probably going to be the best bang for your buck. their financing is good too, or at least it used to be. my brother was the matco tool guy for the new holland dealer and friends with the salesman so i used to get some pretty good deals. dont be afraid to hagle prices

OlJarhead

Quote from: CjAl on June 16, 2012, 03:32:11 PM
new holland is probably going to be the best bang for your buck. their financing is good too, or at least it used to be. my brother was the matco tool guy for the new holland dealer and friends with the salesman so i used to get some pretty good deals. dont be afraid to hagle prices

Thanks.

Well my wife tells me she thinks within the next 3 months we could buy a tractor (she holds the checkbook or I'd already have two and be broke! lol) so I have to wait until she approves the sale but at $15k we're starting to talk a price range I'm more comfortable with.

I guess this 1510 was part of a promo deal and the dealer wants to sell but I suspect the price could come down a little since they aren't offering any screaming deal on interest rates (NH's site claims 0% for 60 months but the dealer seems to feel his price is too good for that deal)....

Anyway, if I buy used I'm more then likely going to pay cash but buying new with a small down-payment would free that cash up for implements -- of which I'd need at least 2 or 3 to start.

Anyway, lots to think about but I think I might be getting closer to settling on a tractor...

ChuckinVa

I would suggest buying as much HP as you can. If you are like me you will find in most cases more Hp would have been nice. I am thinking specifically with the loader and bush hogging chores. I currently have a small  24 HP Kubota which I bought new. I wish I had more Hp. I also have owned a Ford 1720 which was a great little tractor. I wish it had more HP. If i could find one, a ford 1920 is a great tractor but I would probably want more HP. Buy the Implements with the tractor. Package as much stuff as you can in the buy and leverage the implement price with the tractor. It is a major investment and you want to be sure you get all that you want. I would also consider what dealers are close to your property and home so that when you need service there is some one close by that has a reputation for good service. That might be the Green guy.
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

OlJarhead

Thanks Chuck.

Spoke with the Mahindra dealer today -- seems like the 3616 would be doable and with the 5yr warranty does sound appealing.

OlJarhead

The boss (wife) told me to start planning to buy the tractor!  [cool]

So it's time to get REALLY serious.  She's ok with buying one this summer though would prefer late summer.

She's the finance boss of this home (good thing too!) and with her approval it's no longer and IF but only now a WHEN and the when sounds like within the next 3 months.

I'm getting pretty excited!

mgramann

I know northern tool has a line of 4wd tractors, does anyone have any experience with them?