12x16 modern manshed

Started by markert2523, May 21, 2009, 07:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

secordpd

That's pretty funny your shed on ebay...
It is very good looking though..

Thanx for advice about extender, it may have saved me a return trip to HD Rental.

Scott, whats that vinyl roof you speak of, do you have a link or pic?
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

markert2523

A little more work finished on the manshed.

Still waiting for the metal roof.  Still trying to decide where to have my windows made.

I've been thinking that I won't have time before a looming army deployment to put on the cedar siding so I'm thinking of putting up the tarpaper and battens and then installing horizontal galvanized barn tin.  I've seen it a lot lately in modern design and I could pull it off later and install cedar.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Eric

rwanders

[cool]  Great looking project!

Off topic I know but, what is the highway cruiser in the background-----Mercury or Lincoln?

ps: I have an architect friend who has used the "barn tin" several times with great success----It would really look good on the shed roof styling you have.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

markert2523

Tis a 1966 Mercury Parklane "Breezeway" sedan with a 410 4v engine.  Was called Breezeway since the rear window rolls up and down (sometimes).  It is not shown in the later pics since it has gone to a restoration place for some much needed TLC.

Eric

markert2523

Manshed progress moving along.  Metal roof finished--the only thing I've contracted so far and well worth the money.  #30 felt on the sheathing is finished and the french door in.  Next need to order my windows and start the siding.  Also need to order the Lexan twinwall polycarbonate for the side windows.

The Archer boys putting on a fine roof

I bought the 1/2" pressure treated plywood today that I'm going to rip into 2" strips to use as battens behind the cedar siding.

Eric

HomeschoolMom

I am so in love with the shed roof.  I have dreams of something simular to yours but bigger and earth bermed. ;D
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

markert2523

Finally got back from Army duty in Arkansas and started back on the manshed.  Got the windows and french door in.  I am starting to measure and cut the twinwall lexan for the side, fixed windows--pretty cool stuff.

I have all the cedar boards for the siding already sanded and stained (thanks Curt).  Hoping to get it all sided and buttoned up before I ship out to Iraq next month.

Eric

markert2523

More work on the modern manshed.

Vertical battens for the siding.  I ripped 2" strips from 1/2" PT plywood and painted them flat black to blend in with the felt.  You can also see in this picture the opaque Lexan twin wall material I used for the side fixed windows.

Started putting the siding on.  All of the cedar is already sanded/stained and ready to go on.  I used a 3/8" drill bit to put the space between the courses---just like Scott.  I'm shooting the cedar on to the battens with 2" galvanized finish nails.  It actually goes on fairly quickly.

Moving right along.  Trying hard to get to a good stopping point before deploying to Iraq again in about 3 weeks.  I sure am going to miss this manshed while I'm gone (oh, and of course my wife and children, too)

Eric

markert2523

Well, I finally got all of the cedar siding done.  It took me and my hand 19 hrs total to do the entire siding/trim (not counting the time to sand/stain the boards last month).  I am very pleased with it and much thanks to Scott for the ideas/advice. 

Been thinking of facing the front beam with cedar.  Also thinking of building square boxes for the concrete piers and facing them with rock.

Eric

Mike 870

Awesome project.  Looks great.  What product did you use to treat the cedar?

Beavers

Wow, that turned out very nice! [cool]

The cedar siding looks great.  Looks like it will be a great manshed!  :)

ScottA

markert2523

Thanks for the comments, folks.  I've had a great time building this and learning along the way. 

Mike, I used an Olympic semi-transparent cedar stain from Lowes.  I plan to apply it every year for a few years and then see how it goes.  It took two gallons to stain all of the stock.

Eric

secordpd

WOW  That is really beautiful!  Great job Eric.
Where did you get the Lexan twin wall .  How much was it?  What did you cut it with?  Can you give a close up of how it was installed/attached?  Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to use in my project, I have the same  triangular space as you with a shed roof

Also thanx for serving in the armed service, I appreciate your service to our country...Be safe over there  ;)
"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford       Just call me grasshopper Master Po.

markert2523

Thanks, Secordpd

I ordered the lexan twinwall from eplastics.com.  It was about $70 or so for each 4x8 sheet.  I cut it with my jigsaw and a regular blade.  I will try to get some closeups.  I lined the window openings with 1"x2" cedar stock and used small finishing nails to wedge it into place.  Caulked it with clear caulk.  Works great and lets a lot of light in.

Eric

Arizona Highlander

Awesome job Eric. Love the windows and siding.
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

markert2523

Howdy folks.

The manshed project has been on hold while I serve a deployment here in Iraq.  Wanted to show my digs here.  Living in a 9x15 end of a CHU (containerized housing unit).  Plenty big enough and I can't complain.  My rank affords me a private CHU---the enlisted are living double in the same floor plan.

Can't wait to get back and finish the manshed, hopefully this January.

Following along with the forum has been a great way to feel connected to home.

Eric

MountainDon

Thanks for the update Eric. May you stay safe. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and thank you for your service.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Y'know, those things cost, at that size, around 20,000 bucks from a prefab company.

http://modern-shed.com/pricing.html

And yours looks better!

People that would pay that amount make me think of PT Barnum.
NE OK

Arizona Highlander

Cool digs Eric. Be safe out there and thank you!
Looking forward to more pics and progress hopefully in January.
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

Sassy

Our prayers go with you!  Have a wonderful Christmas & stay safe!  Thanks for posting the pics.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

markert2523

Howdy folks,

Back from Iraq and back to work on my manshed!   Hopefully soon I will need to have my driveway cut in order to have the electrician run electric service from my house.  I'm wondering what else I can run in the same trench?  If I'm cutting the driveway, I want to put some other stuff in there for future use.  Maybe TV cable, 12volt line, data line and possibly even a pipe that could provide water service in the future.  Just not sure if all of this can go in the same trench.  Certainly would be in different conduits.  Any input?

Thanks

RainDog

NE OK

Redoverfarm

w* back.  Glad you returned safely.

Normally there is a 12" buffer from the electrical amd other utilities.  Depends on your area probably. Here conduit for the power needs 3" . 

diyfrank

Welcome back,

You can put sleeves in the trench for future use. I would check local codes for separation and cover requirements.

As an example, Power and water in my area needs 3' between them but power and communication lines only require 2" separation. Communication and water have no required separation. All secondary lines need 2' cover.  Also they may require a certain color conduit.
Home is where you make it