Guard rail design.

Started by PEG688, September 26, 2005, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Here's a different  design for guard rails , what do ya think?

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jimmy C.

Thanks Daddymem..
Here is the pic I tried to post.

It looks kinda like a popsicle stick fence!

Here is a matching bench.

I make fun of it, but I think it is a refreshing change from the same old designs.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Amanda_931

[glb][size=32]x[/size][/glb]

:'(

at least that's all I got.

glenn kangiser

I think it looks good, but what I would really like are the long skinny poles (trees) past the house.  With them and a few rolls of plastic and some dirt I could make some cool post hurricane shelters.  It would beat living in the Superdome.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

That was for the reply, not the original.

Nice thing about that kind of design, if the lengths aren't equal you can fix it  by making the ends  the same, varying the length of the center pieces to fit..

Bart_Cubbins

Very original... I like the mix of vertical and horizontal elements, but personally I'd make the horizontal ones narrower.

keyholefarmhouse

nice looking, easier to stain, but kids climb them like step ladders and roll off the steep end.
Catch nine pounders

glenn kangiser

Something I forgot about - the dangers of small humans.  One of mine at about 4 disassembled a clothes rack over his head in a store with a wrench he was carrying in his pocket - hung himself with a rope making a swing too--

A whole other class of hazards to look out for. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Amanada:

There is something strange about the image Jimmy loaded. You can right click on the properties and copy the URL into a new browser window to see the popsicle bench. However, for some reason it can't be seen by Image Shack or TinyPic and won't show in our forum. I can't even open it to edit and rename it.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

John Raabe

There was an interesting design for a privacy fence in the new Fine Homebuilding issue. There were the standard vertical 1x4s spaced closely together. These are normally cut on the top with a radius or a point for the standard picket fence.

The owner of this fence let some boards stick up 6" to 12" higher than the rest and he had two or three simple stylized bird bird designs that he cut into these. Some would be looking at each other and in other places they were looking away.

Such a simple little difference made for a totally unique fence.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Daddymem

There is something weird between the k and the b the space, doesn't seem to want to go way.  I totally renamed it on my desktop then uploaded to photobucket.  Seems to work.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Amanda_931

Thanks, everybody.  I guess I did know we could do right-click properties on almost anything.

rafaela_gollek

That's cool.  I wish more people could do that here in Ontario, without running into climbability issues.  Like really, if someone wants over a guard rail, there's not too much anyone else can do to stop them, without running into aesthetic issues.  And I think that its safe to say that many people are sick of seeing the standard cantilevered exterior wood rails.

peg_688

Another hand rail design I've done .  It only applies to the hand rail not the old existing guard rail , might not meet code requirments , sort of fun to get out of the box once in a while  :)

peg_688

Another more traditional rail design.

Front view,

Front stairs,

glenn-k

Nice work PEG.  Thanks for posting the different ideas and pix.

ken hilfiekr

Hey PEG688, what kind of finish did you use on the cedar.  Looks great!  I used Behr Premium stain sealer and it has horrible adhesion...

peg_688

Thanks Ken it's a product called  Wolman F&P ( finish & Preservative )  Natural.

peg_688

Finally got back to the first deck to finish the hand rail for the stair, ,, , :) PEG

Amanda_931

peg_688

Humm viewed 620 plus times , 19 posts , what's a guy to think ???  Will we be seeing other out of the box ideas ?  Time will tell, PEG.

PS How about some cabin hall tables :)

glenn-k

Really nice tables. PEG - Walnut?

peg_688

Red oak legs ( quarter sawn face out to the long side ) , upper stretchers , and the tops self edge . The lower long stretchers are walnut w/ maple plugs. the lower stretchers , and main top are a mystery wood , salvaged from a buddies P.I. navy days , about 1969 to 73 or so purchased as a entertainment center ( stained very dark mahog color , almost paint like ),  at the navy exchange in Olongapo (sp) Phil.Islands.  We "scraped it out " and he gave me a few boards . Which I recycled into these tables .

I've ask quite a few poeple vie the web , not really sure what the tops are , really nice grain / figure etc , one of a kind wood , Koa , Mahog , Yew , Rose wood , who knows ? All have been guessed.

We'll see if they sell :o Thats the bottom line.  Coming to a consignment story near John  ::)   Thanks for the compliment , PEG . Ps Still wonder why so many looks, so few comments , not like building a cave , I guess ::)  

glenn-k

Actually - compared to many subjects, it looks like it's doing pretty good, PEG.  

Caves are for crazy people-- you wouldn't want anyone thinking you were crazy would you???  ;D  Besides, the cave has been posted for a long time - then when you get someone with a special interest in it, things go crazy again. ;D

In high school, a cabinet maker gave me a whole truckload of black walnut for the school - I got enough for one end table out of it - gave the rest to the shop.  My mom still has the old table, but it's no where near as nice as yours.  Black walnut is one of my favorite woods, but there are interesting patterns in nearly all types of wood.

peg_688

Walnut smells so good a guy just wants to use it  :) 8) Now if a poor old carpenter could afford it  :-[     Oh I'm a bit crazy , why else build something" hoping someone" will want it , not crazy enough to do cave work , where is Robin when Batman needs um  :D  PEG