A Very Special Thanks to John (Raabe) & Others

Started by MountainDon, December 02, 2008, 01:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I was sitting in my half finished, half furnished, but warm and cozy cabin in the mountains on Saturday reflecting on life and how fortunate I have been. Coming across the Country Plans plans website a couple years or so ago while in the early planning stages of our cabin building was one of the high marks. I could have likely managed to arrive at this point in time without the CP site and this wonderful forum, but it would not have been as enjoyable a journey.

This is simply a heartfelt Thank You to John for having this place for us. A Thank You also to all who have shared ideas, made suggestions, laughed at errors and offered praise where praise might have been due.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

...and thanks to you for helping to keep it running semi smoothly.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jochen

MountainDon,

I second that. John without you, your help and the Forum you created I would not have built my Cabin. Your plans gave my the technical input and the Forum with all his members gave me confidence. Thank you John and thank you to all the others which participate in this Forum as well.

Jochen

jb52761

What a nice thing to say. I have to agree. For the past few years, this web site and forum has become an everyday addition to my morning coffee.... ;).....jb

PEG688

Diddo , great site thanks John :)   ,,,,,,,,, and Glenn for not banning me for life a few years ago  :-[    :)  [cool]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

ScottA

I agree. I got alot of inspiration and confidence for my project from country plans. I learned alot as well. Thanks to everyone involved.

apaknad

i totally agree. thank you john. although i had toyed w/the idea of building my own home it can still be a daunting task but seeing what others have done on this site gives me the confidence to do it. the price of the plans if you use them are reasonably in reach for us not so wealthy people and the fact that you don't have to use john's plans to be a forumite and recieve ideas and help just shows the integrity of the spirit of john's ideas and also the contributers and administraters. i am not only have a better understanding of building techniques and ideas but feel i have made new friends also, and that to me means as much as learning how to build a house. you are all truly an inspiration and i am a better person for knowing all of you.

dan
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

HomeschoolMom

I know that Monday mornings are my favorite time on this site as usually there are plenty of updates from the weekend work.  I love the pics too!  This site is a validation that what I want to do can really be done.
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on December 02, 2008, 08:32:06 AM

Diddo , great site thanks John :)   ,,,,,,,,, and Glenn for not banning me for life a few years ago  :-[    :)  [cool]

I could see through that rough edge military facade to the true PEG who is the heart of the technical side of this forum... :) 

Your desire to help others betrays your tough side.

I want to thank me for not banning myself weekly.... it is a fact that I edit, modify and delete myself more than any other forum member... you guys ...mostly ... only get to see the good stuff. heh

I seldom modify or delete anyone else's postings - maybe once every few months.  More often to show a pix or something with no mal-intent on my part. d*

I pretty much leave it to John or Don to monitor or edit ones who disagree with me - esp. off topics.  I feel I would have a conflict of interest if I did it and I am not one for censorship.  John has given us very few limits to follow on this forum... his main requirement is that we keep it decent and considerate of others.  Considerate of others does not mean things will always tickle their ears.  Sometimes things people need to know for their own good are not that desirable to face. :(

One of my main concerns is that in what is usually a male dominated type of forum, that the women and young ones feel comfortable participating here as well.

When I was a kid, many of my questions were ignored and belittled by those who didn't want to deal with it .... or some who were afraid I would be able to do their job, two of those I can think of off the top of my head.  That will not happen here. 8)

Weekly to monthly I ban spammers for life but most of you never see them.  >:(

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

I whole heartedly agree.  This "community" has proven itself more valuable to me than I could ever express.  I saw the forums while looking for house plans and couldn't believe all these people just working on the same goals, helping each other out.  Then, I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the pricing for his plans.  I thought to myself, I better order quick before he changes his mind. 

My first post, I remember thinking to myself, I'll be just fine as long as that PEG guy doesn't answer me!   d*  I was in for a shock.  But as they say, the truth hurts sometimes.  Glenn has been extremely useful even when humor was all that was on my mind.  All of you, and John especially, THANK YOU!

CWhite

"One of my main concerns is that in what is usually a male dominated type of forum, that the women and young ones feel comfortable participating here as well."

This is a "male dominated type forum?

Hmmmmm, hadn't noticed.
Christina
;)

fritz

I usually don't type  "me too"posts....but from the warm confines of a place I am proud to call home:

"me too"

Thanks to all who contribute here.  My lifestyle would not be possible if not for you all.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: CWhite on December 02, 2008, 03:28:52 PM
"One of my main concerns is that in what is usually a male dominated type of forum, that the women and young ones feel comfortable participating here as well."

This is a "male dominated type forum?

Hmmmmm, hadn't noticed.
Christina
;)

Thanks, Christina.  If you didn't feel comfortable here we wouldn't have had the privilege of seeing your work of art come together. 

Of course the women control the forum and us guys just like to hang out here.... heh

Thanks for being here. :)

glenn kangiser

phalanx, I may be funny but looks aren't everything....

I know --- old one... [slap]

rwanders

Many thanks to John and the whole incredible cast of characters on these forums!  They are the best source of realworld information and caring guidance I have found on the web. I really enjoy reading everyone's adventures in building and all the other aspects of lifes so generously shared here.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Ernest T. Bass

I'd feel guilty if I didn't drop a note of thanks too, considering everything I've learned here. :)

I've drifted through many forums, and this one stands way out from the crowd. The internet holds a lot of info, but there's a surprising number of times when you can't find a solution to your particular dilemma, and it's great to have this place to fall back on. ;)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

firefox

Yup, PEG is definitely a keeper! Someone around here has to keep us in line!  I am at a loss for words, so I will just end with Thank You all!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

considerations

A "rough edge military facade" saves a lot of time when one is just looking for a clear answer, not a humungous list of general options. 

I think many of us come here because we have a "dream" of financial and lifestyle self-sufficiency, and sometimes a little splash of cold reality from more experienced members is exactly what helps us actually accomplish the dream...with minimal damage to ourselves, our wallets, and our families. 

If PEG didn't give a -----  he would remain silent.  When he makes a statement, I can depend on it.

The fact that I survived  getting my 6/12 roof up and covered proves it. 

As for John R.,  all I can say is I do not think I would be so close to having a permanent house/cabin/ habitation type structure (ok its a little hard to classify) on this land if there had been no Country Plans forum.

So yup - Group Thanks!

sharbin

You reflect exactly my sentiment towards John, Glenn, and all the other forum bodies. Thank you all for this warm/informative/helpfull/freindly and great place.

Sharbin

Quote from: MountainDon on December 02, 2008, 01:16:56 AM
I was sitting in my half finished, half furnished, but warm and cozy cabin in the mountains on Saturday reflecting on life and how fortunate I have been. Coming across the Country Plans plans website a couple years or so ago while in the early planning stages of our cabin building was one of the high marks. I could have likely managed to arrive at this point in time without the CP site and this wonderful forum, but it would not have been as enjoyable a journey.

This is simply a heartfelt Thank You to John for having this place for us. A Thank You also to all who have shared ideas, made suggestions, laughed at errors and offered praise where praise might have been due.

CREATIVE1

Building your own home can sometimes be pretty straightforward, but when it's not, as in my case, a forum can be a tremendous help.  Since I'm just now getting ready to build after two years of trials and tribulations, I can honestly say that all of you helped me through some pretty dark times. Soon I'll be posting pretty pictures and asking answers to questions I don't even know I have yet. :D

By the way, I've never posted on another forum, so you guys must be pretty great.

John Raabe

Thank you one and all. You have "warmed the cockles of my heart".  :D

Just where are my cockles anyway?

That this forum has evolved into the helpful community that it has says much about the folks who choose to spend many of their free hours here. The spirit of supporting each others projects is something I hoped for but was not at all certain would happen when this whole thing started ten years ago.

Jeez, time flies. Countryplans circa 1998

These archives are from the WayBack Machine listings for this site.

Thanks to everyone who has helped someone with an idea, an encouraging word, or just a jiggle of the funnybone. All of these are part of the evolution of a project (and of a life). The Journeymen and Senior members especially deserve our thanks. These are the folks who have done the most to build this community.

So, thanks to all and here's to a creative, productive and fun 2009!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

speedfunk

ME TOO   :)
   8)
I've been to many , many places on the internet lol.  Like another poster said this place def sticks out as a gem.  The combination of real world knowledge and good humor make it a very special place .  The people here are not scared to follow their own path and the projects and things that they create always impresses me. Thanks all and happy holidays..
peace
Jeff

MountainDon

Hey John, The Wayback Machine is way cool!  Thanks for that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

xecutech

Ok, dumb question here, but who/what is PEG. At first I thought it was a person, but now it seems to be an acronym for something?