1.5 story loft help

Started by sowbeautiful, August 09, 2016, 01:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sowbeautiful

We are building a modified 1.5 story and I need a bit of help with figuring the correct lumber size for the lofted area.

The span will be 12 feet, plus an additional 3'9" for the cantilevered portion. I would like to open frame with rough cut, most likely southern pine. We would like to go for a beefer look, so I'd like to go with a 4x material. So the question would be, 4x what, and on what spacing? Will probably go with a 2x6 floor...

Also, with the framing, would I set joists on top plate and toe nail/ hurricane strap?

Needs to meet code in NC.

Don_P

If you can handle 4x8's on 2' centers that works as either 4x8 or 3.5 x 7.25 in both simple span and overhanging beam areas. If you want something other checked holler. If you are running wire chases and boring for lights in these beams need to back up and refigure. Getting it through the inspector is another matter but for the simple span area the 4x8's on 2' centers is comparable to 2x8's on 12" centers so he can compare with the code table maybe. Just have to run it by him and see how he sees it. Correctly he can ask for an engineer since this is outside of the tables in the codebook.

Next thing is grading, correctly this wood needs to be stamped by a grader... although in NC you can use timber off your own property to build your residence without having it graded... if the inspector approves it.

I would use timberlock type screws up thru the plate, beside the supporting stud into the bottom of the beams if possible. Block solid between cantilevered joists over the crossing wall.