OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 13, 2014, 07:26:58 PM

Lol John, sorry.
The slab is closer to the cabin wall than I thought it was, I can clean up the gap with a little furring.
The original door size we planned on was 12 foot, (I might have said 10 sorry) but when the quotes came in,  :o
$2400.00 I thought that was quit a jump when the 8' version is $1200.00
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

John,
The down stairs window will be opened to a door. Stairs with a landing running parallel to the wall. From that landing we will continue the stairs to the back wall, across the back wall, and turn up the garage wall side to the upper floor making a U shaped staircase if that makes sense.. we also plan on building a bride, or catwalk from the upstairs window over the the upper floor of the garage.
As far as the garage area without the door, it just workshop area and a place for my deep freeze, pellets for the pellet stove in the winter, tools and so on.
It will be nice to have a closer work area than my barn, which is 300 feet from my house.
— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

Quote from: astidham on January 13, 2014, 07:58:04 PM
John,
The down stairs window will be opened to a door. Stairs with a landing running parallel to the wall. From that landing we will continue the stairs to the back wall, across the back wall, and turn up the garage wall side to the upper floor making a U shaped staircase if that makes sense.. we also plan on building a bride, or catwalk from the upstairs window over the the upper floor of the garage.
As far as the garage area without the door, it just workshop area and a place for my deep freeze, pellets for the pellet stove in the winter, tools and so on.
It will be nice to have a closer work area than my barn, which is 300 feet from my house.

Yes stairs parallel to the house from the garage area to the house will probably save you some floor space in that room.  I also was wondering about the shop area w/o any windows except maybe light from the garage door. 

Thanks for the time to explain.

astidham

The garage overhead door and the back door will have windows, but we didnt plan any others in the garage.
We always end up adding or changing the build at this stage.  :)
— Henry Ford

astidham

Got the floor trusses up for the 2nd floor bedrooms above the garage..
They are 24" deep x 20' long....
They were kind of tough to get them installed....really windy today, but it was 60 degrees.  :)
— Henry Ford

astidham

here is a hand drawing of what the addition will resemble within reason, and what is where. having a good imagination will help here...lol
the porch on the cabin in the drawing is not on the existing cabin.

— Henry Ford

Redoverfarm

OK.  So basicly the roof of the old portion will be the same elevation as the addition w/exception of the entry way/stairs which will be lower in elevation. Correct?  Just curious (other than appearance) as to why you didn't run the new addition (entry and stairs included) in one section rather than break it up?

astidham

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 17, 2014, 01:25:27 PM
OK.  So basicly the roof of the old portion will be the same elevation as the addition w/exception of the entry way/stairs which will be lower in elevation. Correct?  Just curious (other than appearance) as to why you didn't run the new addition (entry and stairs included) in one section rather than break it up?
the entryway roof is lower, and the garage roof will be a little taller than the existing cabin. over the garage will be a 8/12 roof.
the entryway and stair roof was originally drawn to flow consecutively from the cabin, but we dropped the scissor truss ~ 4.5" to the underside of the finished soffit because we are using a different metal profile on the addition roof.
after drawing it out, we kind of liked the way it looked.
— Henry Ford

new land owner

I like how your design breaks up the building.  I don't think it would look as good if you just made it one long building.

Nice design.

astidham

Quote from: new land owner on February 17, 2014, 06:00:36 PM
I like how your design breaks up the building.  I don't think it would look as good if you just made it one long building.

Nice design.
Thanks for the encouragement.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks like the floor trusses are on a 2' center.  Mine are going to be 2' deep but 16" OC going 26'.  I see a horizontal board along the top corner of the floor trusses.  Is that there to stay or just for fixturing?  Is the floor truss notched out for it to be there? 

thanks
Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on February 18, 2014, 12:45:00 PM
Looks like the floor trusses are on a 2' center.  Mine are going to be 2' deep but 16" OC going 26'.  I see a horizontal board along the top corner of the floor trusses.  Is that there to stay or just for fixturing?  Is the floor truss notched out for it to be there? 

thanks
Austin
hey Austin, they are on 2 foot centers.
that board fits in a let in built into the floor truss.
the overhanging part needs cut off.
the trusses are extremely stout!
— Henry Ford

dablack

Thanks for the info.  It sounded like you had them installed but do you remember how many guys it took to lift them? 

I'm looking forward to being able to use them to run wiring, plumbing, and AC ducts.  Gotta love 'em. 

Also, I really like the house plan.  We do the same thing.  I sketch up what the final house will look like.  We are going the other way.  We are building the garage house first and then build the two story next door.  I should have my thread started when I start framing in mid-March.

thanks

Austin

Don_P

They are light but ungainly, I've installed 32'ers solo lifting one end up at a time. Be very careful of the nail plates, they make perfect people graters. they've absolutely shredded my hands a few times  d*

dablack

Thanks Don.  My old attic trusses from last time, got me.  I still have the scar on my right arm.  I lifted them with a bunch of 5' cut off strips of straps.  When the subfloor was down, I went back and was trying to cut down all the loops of strap.  Arm slipped and I hit something.  It hurt but no big deal.  Then I felt the dripping......    I had caught a corner of one of the nail plates.  Went pretty deep too.  Had some paper towels and duct tape.  Finished the day just fine. 

Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on February 18, 2014, 02:25:19 PM
Thanks for the info.  It sounded like you had them installed but do you remember how many guys it took to lift them? 

I'm looking forward to being able to use them to run wiring, plumbing, and AC ducts.  Gotta love 'em. 

Also, I really like the house plan.  We do the same thing.  I sketch up what the final house will look like.  We are going the other way.  We are building the garage house first and then build the two story next door.  I should have my thread started when I start framing in mid-March.

thanks

Austin
Austin,
my wife and I installed all the floor trusses.
like Don said, we lifted one end, then the other.
they are more akward than heavy...
Cant wait to see your progress!
— Henry Ford

astidham

Got the upstairs outer walls framed this weekend  ;D

Here are 2 of my helpers

I still lack installing trimmer studs and window base, thought it might be lighter for me and the wife to lift the walls, and I will toe nail them in later.
— Henry Ford

North Sask

Hi astidham. Great project - both the first place and the second. I was looking back through your post and I noticed your soffit details. I am planning to use the same detail that you did at your gable to eave soffit intersection. The "pork chop" seems easier to build but I just don't like the look. On the gable wall, did you install a ledger (2x2 or 2x4) between your lookouts to which you could nail your plywood soffit?

Quote from: astidham on November 27, 2010, 06:51:47 PM

It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

dablack

Here are 2 of my helpers

Wow.  They are getting big!  Nice job on the framing in one weekend.  How are you going to lift up the OSB?  Gonna get that man lift again?  I'm thinking of sheathing the walls and even putting on house wrap before lifting but I'm planning on having friends come help lift, along with a wall jack or two. 

thanks
Austin

astidham

Quote from: North Sask on March 02, 2014, 11:31:11 PM
Hi astidham. Great project - both the first place and the second. I was looking back through your post and I noticed your soffit details. I am planning to use the same detail that you did at your gable to eave soffit intersection. The "pork chop" seems easier to build but I just don't like the look. On the gable wall, did you install a ledger (2x2 or 2x4) between your lookouts to which you could nail your plywood soffit?
hi North Sask,
on the gable ends, i used a drop chord truss that was 3.5" lower than the scissor trusses, which let me attach a 2x4 to the scissor truss, then land on top the drop chord truss and overhang.
then i blocked between them..
hope this helps.
— Henry Ford

astidham

Quote from: dablack on March 03, 2014, 12:22:19 PM
Here are 2 of my helpers

Wow.  They are getting big!  Nice job on the framing in one weekend.  How are you going to lift up the OSB?  Gonna get that man lift again?  I'm thinking of sheathing the walls and even putting on house wrap before lifting but I'm planning on having friends come help lift, along with a wall jack or two. 

thanks
Austin
Hey Austin, Thanks!
ive already sheathed half the upatairs this saturday.
i put my scaffolding together, screwed a 2x4 horizontally to the wall at 5'.
then my wife and I put 2 sheets at a time on the horizontal 2x4 and leaned it against the scaffold.
then my wife went on top the second level, and helped me get the sheathing pulled up......
I wish I had that man lift right Now!!!
— Henry Ford

North Sask

Quote from: astidham on March 03, 2014, 12:25:12 PM
hi North Sask,
on the gable ends, i used a drop chord truss that was 3.5" lower than the scissor trusses, which let me attach a 2x4 to the scissor truss, then land on top the drop chord truss and overhang.
then i blocked between them..

I guess I am trying to figure out what how you attached your plywood soffit. You would have nailed it to your 2x4 lookouts and maybe to your sub-fascia or fascia. Did you also nail it to the blocking between the 2x4's, or is that blocking located directly above the top plates of your drop chord truss?
It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by my thread and left your two cents.
Great Northern Saskatchewan Adventure...Round 2

astidham

Quote from: North Sask on March 05, 2014, 08:49:46 PM
I guess I am trying to figure out what how you attached your plywood soffit. You would have nailed it to your 2x4 lookouts and maybe to your sub-fascia or fascia. Did you also nail it to the blocking between the 2x4's, or is that blocking located directly above the top plates of your drop chord truss?
I will try to find a pic for you.
But yes the blocking is above the upper chord of the trusses....
— Henry Ford

10thMTNVET

You have done an outstanding job on this project. My wife and I are just beginning our first build. Your build is very inspiring.

Steven

astidham

Quote from: 10thMTNVET on March 13, 2014, 02:57:48 PM
You have done an outstanding job on this project. My wife and I are just beginning our first build. Your build is very inspiring.

Steven
Thanks Steven!
Good luck, can't wait to see your build.
— Henry Ford