Carpenter Ants

Started by Yankeesouth, April 10, 2012, 02:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Anyone have a good remedy for getting rid of carpenter ants?  I can't seem to find the queen and have put everything from powders to foams trying to get them.  I am about ready to call an exterminator.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Yankeesouth on April 10, 2012, 02:14:24 PM
Anyone have a good remedy for getting rid of carpenter ants?  I can't seem to find the queen and have put everything from powders to foams trying to get them.  I am about ready to call an exterminator.

I have had great success in "Gourmet Ant Bait".  Innovative Pest Control Products, Boca Raton,FL 33488.  The active ingredient is Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate.   It also has a honey dew fragrance for sweet ants.

Just pour a small amount in a coffee lid near their path.  They are attracted to it and carry it to the nest.  In two days there is no more sign of them until a new colony shows then retreat in the new path. 

Rob_O

I've had good luck with amdro ant bait. I've also had good luck dropping the box blade on the mound and ripping it apart, then spraying everything with Bayer ant killer. I can get both at my local Lowe's store
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Don_P

John, look at the label on the Solubor, Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate. The same active ingredient as TimBor, BoraCare and all the other borate products. Terro ant bait is DOT and sugar and works well on sweet eating ants.

Usually carpenter ants are a sign of a moisture problem somewhere in or around the structure.

alex trent

Make up a bait with some boric acid as from the drug store and some sweet stuff.  Put near the track. Be patient. Takes 4-7 days to get them all. In the meantime they keep tracking.