Mechanical room

Started by azgreg, August 05, 2019, 01:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azgreg

We're still in the never ending design stage of our retirement home and I'm trying to get my head around the details on the mechanical room. I intend the room to house the washer and dryer, water heater (with manifold assy), electrical panel (if allowed), and air handling system (ERV, etc.). Trying to figure the best way to figure out the dimensions needed. Keep in mind that I haven't decided on equipment yet so I know that will effect the dimensions.

ChugiakTinkerer

I've got a mechanical room in my house that is about 5' wide and 12' deep.  Opening the door, there is a path you can walk on the left and four appliances on the right.  They are the furnace boiler, the water heater, the washing machine, and the dryer.  It is a compact room that provides no work space to deal with laundry.  Storage is also almost non-existent except for one shelf above the washer and dryer.

If I had the luxury to re-design it, I would make it a laundry room and hide the HVAC & utilities in a closet.  I would want storage space, a table for folding or stacking laundry, and a place for hanging shirts and dresses.

For electrical, you can probably put it anywhere as long as the panel is kept clear and accessible.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

MountainDon

I believe the laundry should be in its own area, with counters space and a utility sink. We have those along one long wall and storage cabinets along the opposite wall.  Furnace, water heater, electrical panel, are in their own space.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

Some thought should also be given to where water lines are and if there are leaks, where they can leak safely. That safety, to me is what a mechanical room is all about. I think Scotty on Star Trek would say that.

As a side, this year I had to travel alot and I installed a video camera in my mechanical room.
I could check on my phone the space where my power system, water heater, water pump, and freezer were.

I could zoom in and read numbers, see the pump running, check the freezer at 0F, and look for water leaks. Peace of mind for $30 and it detects motion and worked with slow rural internet.
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

azgreg

Another piece of advice I've received is whatever size you think you need double it.

JRR

I agree with separating laundry equipment from all else.  Ideal for me would be a separate building, or perhaps a garage that can be opened for extra ventilation.

azgreg

Quote from: JRR on August 12, 2019, 10:02:11 AM
I agree with separating laundry equipment from all else.  Ideal for me would be a separate building, or perhaps a garage that can be opened for extra ventilation.

You're saying it would be a better idea to have the laundry in the garage? I plan to have it divorced from the house connecting with a breezeway.

Dave Sparks

I could never get an ok for a breezeway from my significant other. I did get valves on the hot cold water and they are off when the machine is not being used. Use a good quality ball valve.

Washing machine leaks are a very steady high profit business. A total pain in the ass on how much damage they can do.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: Dave Sparks on August 13, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Washing machine leaks are a very steady high profit business. A total pain in the ass on how much damage they can do.

In my personal experience it's the ice maker in the fridge/freezer.  I've had two water feed lines leak doing considerable damage.  It's certainly worth thinking about how to prevent or mitigate that type of failure.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

JRR

Quote from: azgreg on August 12, 2019, 07:52:41 PM
You're saying it would be a better idea to have the laundry in the garage? I plan to have it divorced from the house connecting with a breezeway.
I think its a better idea to have the laundry in the garage as opposed to where it is found in most modern small houses ... somewhere in the living environment.   The laundry function generates noise, vibrations, heat, smells, moisture and liquid leaks ... and clothes dryers have caused some house fires....but even if there are no problems, it is not a joy to live around.   So, a separate area, with easy access makes sense to me.  If a garage is large enough to accommodate, it would do well.  A garage usually is well ventilated and it's floors can resist leaks.
Your plan sounds as good or better.

azgreg

Quote from: JRR on August 13, 2019, 05:54:05 PM
I think its a better idea to have the laundry in the garage as opposed to where it is found in most modern small houses ... somewhere in the living environment.   The laundry function generates noise, vibrations, heat, smells, moisture and liquid leaks ... and clothes dryers have caused some house fires....but even if there are no problems, it is not a joy to live around.   So, a separate area, with easy access makes sense to me.  If a garage is large enough to accommodate, it would do well.  A garage usually is well ventilated and it's floors can resist leaks.
Your plan sounds as good or better.

The more I think about putting the laundry in the garage the more I like it. Thanks.

MountainDon

Having the laundry in the garage would work where we are, but it would not have worked back in Manitoba.

Dave Sparks

PITA if the garage is ground floor and living is 2nd floor. Maybe a dumb waiter or whatever it is called might help. Certainly the laundry downstairs is not going to be good as we age if living is upstairs. :(   Good subject, might help for later!

JRR

Don't they say steps help us stay young?  (I've got Uncle Joe by six years ... so I make more gaffes than he does!)

azgreg

Dave, no 2nd floor here. I'm trying my best to incorporate as many "aging in place" principles as i can.