Above Ground Water Tank Questions

Started by MikeOnBike, June 03, 2013, 03:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeOnBike

I have a 550 gal. above ground water tank that I'm in the process of installing.  It is dark green polyethylene.  Its main purpose is to store water for showering/bathing and washing dishes.  If I can keep it clean enough, as in moss and microbe free we may also drink it.  Short term I will haul  55 gal. of water in for each visit.  Long term I will pump to it from the well when we get that put in.

It is above ground because we don't have much topsoil and I don't want to blast to install below ground.
It is dark green to resist algae growth.
It will be drained in the winter.
Dimensions - 48in. dia x 76in. high. x ~100lbs

1. I am worried about algae growth because the tank is dark and will probably get quite warm from solar gain.  I have thought about covering it with a small shed structure or just painting it a light color.  Suggestions?

2. The location I have for it is very rocky and I don't think I can get corner 4x4 post down more than about a foot for the shed structure.  I'm worried that in a high wind the shed may blow away without some kind of additional tie down.  Suggestions?

It seems the easiest approach would be to paint it a light color and use a couple of tie down straps connected to ground anchors to keep it from blowing away in the winter.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Michael...

hpinson

Hi Mike.

Unscented chlorine laundry bleach, 2-3 ounces of 5.25% solution, per 100 gallons will help with bacterial contamination.  It does create an odor and a bit of a taste in the water, which you may find unpleasant, and repeat application on some schedule.  I don't think it would help much with algae.

Copper Sulfate crystals, available at hardware stores, will help with the algae but in even in moderate doses are poisonous to sheep, cows, and probably wildlife like deer that cannot tolerate the chemical. Given that, it may not be so good for you either. 1.5 teaspoons dissolved in 4.5 ounces of water for each 1000 gallons. Treat every 4 weeks as needed.

The green tank color should to some extent reduce algae growth (dependent on light), or at least more so that a white semi-transparent tank. The more opaque the better.

Really try and make sure that the path from wellhead to tank, and tank itself is sealed.  Bacteria and algae spores have to enter to contaminate. Also that the tank is bleached before use.

Covering the tank with some sort of shed structure that will reduce light and will also help. Perhaps you could pour a heavy concrete footer and use that to keep a shed roof tied down. I am thinking of doing something similar, and am also on ledge:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10231.msg169848#msg169848

I'll be pouring some concrete around the tank base to keep it in place in winter when it is empty.

rick91351

Mike we used tubes when we built our shed for the tank we use to irrigate the orchard and berries.

I know that is sort of a problem there but ...... We used some metal straps and ran bolts through the 6x6s or 8x8s   ???  Can't remember now.  If you can anchor to the rock could you just drill and anchor metal straps or angle iron with epoxy or  melted sulfur like they use too?

If you ever get over this way stop in and take a look.  We are here most of the time anymore.

Tanks do algae up I am afraid sort of the nature of the beasty I guess.    We buried a tank 600 gallon tank here hooked to a spring as well http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=N-41328
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hpinson

MikeOnBike

So Rick, I see you put yours in a shed.  Did you build it for the tank or already had it?

I'm trying to decide if strapping the tank down and painting it a light color is good enough.

http://www.customroto.com/images/550%20vt.pdf

Dave Sparks

My experience with rainwater from sailing 10 years in the tropics and living off-grid with 16,000 gallons of water in 8 green tanks above ground has been good. Good means you do not get sick and neither do the people who visit. A ships cat can help but one of the biggest mistakes people make is letting tanks sit with an inch of water in it during summer. You must treat this water!

We treat our water from May thru October when they are warm. We drain whatever is left at the first rain in October. We gave up on covering them after the first year. I would have built an underground cistern if I had more time during construction. I test the water at the end of summer. We live in the Sierra at 3000 feet.
Glen and Don (moderators) have had our water and they looked fine the next day.

Good Luck! Where does your water come from Michael?
"we go where the power lines don't"

MikeOnBike

Quote from: Dave Sparks on June 05, 2013, 02:48:00 PM
Good Luck! Where does your water come from Michael?

Initially it will be city water that I haul up from my home.  When our undeveloped spring is running high, in a wetter year, we would/will haul that up to this location in a 55 gal plastic barrel.  Eventually I will pump up the hill to it from a well that we hope to put in next year or so.  We have been drinking out of the spring for ~5 yrs with no ill effect.  After two dry winters its water level is too low for me to easily get clean water.

We don't get much rain.  Most of our moisture is from snow so I haven't planned on collecting rain water at this time.

Short term I'm only going to use this water for shower/hottub/dishes and carry up a couple of 5gal containers for drinking water.  Longer term when the well is in I'll want use it as an above ground cistern for all uses. 

It sounds like you haven't bothered to lighten yours to reflect light.  I think I'll strap it down, add water and see what happens.

rick91351

Quote from: MikeOnBike on June 05, 2013, 12:29:11 PM
So Rick, I see you put yours in a shed.  Did you build it for the tank or already had it?

I'm trying to decide if strapping the tank down and painting it a light color is good enough.

http://www.customroto.com/images/550%20vt.pdf

Mike I bought the tank second - third hand from a farmer off Craigslist over by Wilder/Homedale.  I gave like $150 for it about four or five years ago.  It is a old fertilizer/chemical tank from Simplot.  Works great for my application.  Then about three years ago I got a wild hair to protect it from the elements and might make it last a lot longer.  I bought another tank from a farmer rancher over in Bruneau off Cragslist. I have not used it yet.           
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Quote from: Dave Sparks on June 05, 2013, 02:48:00 PM
Glen and Don (moderators) have had our water and they looked fine the next day.

Felt good too
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.