Windows

Started by waltonrp, August 23, 2005, 03:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltonrp

How have you dealt with Windows. The rough openings on my plans will need to be changed (not a big problem) to buy Home Depot in stock windows. What supplier did you use, did you order custom sizes and does that greatly affect cost?

Thanks, just trying to go through some of these small things before meeting with the builder that will help with footers and framing...

JRR

If you intend to use an "off the shelf" size window from Home Depot (or Lowe's, or anywhere else), I suggest you buy all the windows you need at one time.   Of course this requires you have the funds and some storage place.

I once failed to convince a family member to do this after "on the shelf", relatively cheap, window sizes were selected.  By the time we framed-in the window openings, with openings cut in the T1-11, and went back to purchase the windows.  Guess what?  Not only had Home Depot's window supplier changed ... all the stock sizes had changed.   We then paid a premium to special order windows that were "on the shelf" a month earlier.

.... plus some of the windows were damaged in shipment  == further hassle.

Jimmy C.

While my wife and I were pricing windows at home depot, the guy took us to a section of windows that were a special order for a customer but the supplier built to the wrong dimensions. A complete house full of windows wrong!
 They were off by 1 inch both ways.
 The windows were 50 percent off what you would pay for the nearest stock size from the same manufacturer.
I wish I had been ready to buy at that time.

Now I know what to ask for and where to look when I start to frame my walls.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

mark breown

ok, here is what i did 8 years ago and will do again on my next home next year, i think.  I designed my house by the stud, every 16 inches, for narrow windows I took out one stud, for a wider window i took out 2 studs, i placed many windows very symetrical in relation to the room.  once i had the house framed and roofed i called the replacement window guy and bought white double hung windows for 167 dollars each, about 40 x 70' in size.it made the framing very simple and fast, all my headers where 2x10's and so all my cripple studs where the same size except the kit and bath, all my finished windoew sils are table height about 30".

i paid the installer 50 dollars to teach me how to put two windows in, oone he did, and one i did

Mark

waltonrp

QuoteGuess what?  Not only had Home Depot's window supplier changed ... all the stock sizes had changed.   We then paid a premium to special order windows that were "on the shelf" a month earlier.
quote]

Very good point. The clerk at Home Depot today told me a benefit is that I can buy them at any Home Depot. Didn't think about them changing.

waltonrp

QuoteWhile my wife and I were pricing windows at home depot, the guy took us to a section of windows that were a special order for a customer but the supplier built to the wrong dimensions. A complete house full of windows wrong!
They were off by 1 inch both ways.
The windows were 50 percent off what you would pay for the nearest stock size from the same manufacturer.

I have seen that also in doors, lots of returned items. I have a plan now, start shopping all the Lowes, HD and other suppliers for returns..... I have time.

SInce I am making a lot of the windows smaller than the plan, maybe I should just leave it all as is unless I have a window bought and can frame it up to fit as needed later. Would that work?

Amanda_931

Around here, places call the orphan window section the bone yard.  I've seen some gorgeous things there.

My guess is that the big box people are less likely to have good stuff in the bone yard than the smaller/all window places.

Also if there's a window manufacturer within easy driving distance, try them.

And you might also try the people who sell just glass

But you do have to be ready to buy.

rwalter

Waltonrp.

What I did was shop around for the lowest price I could find on Anderson windows. I then took the quote to Home Depot and they beat it by 10% on every item. As an example of the priceing got an Anderson 200 series DH3049 Double Hung window for $144 (Rough Opening 36x57). Remember to include windows that meet egress of 5.7 sq ft of open window spacing for all bedrooms.

waltonrp

QuoteWaltonrp.

Remember to include windows that meet egress of 5.7 sq ft of open window spacing for all bedrooms.

Why is that? Is that 5.7 sq ft total of all windows in the room?

rwalter

Waltonrp,

No that is the open space on one window. So on a double hung window that is about one half of the size of the window. It is the building code and it is in place so some one can exit easily and so that a firefighter in full gear can enter easily. In the Andersen 200 series windows the smallest window to meet egress is their DH3049. Most manufacturers will state on their brochures which windows meet egress with some form of footnote or asterick. You may want to check with your local building inspector. In some states I think I read they may allow 5 sq ft to be the minimum on first floor bedrooms and 5.7 sq ft on second floor rooms.

Laura21

Well, after building I found a lot of places to find deals  >:(

The hardware store had a brand of windows they didn't normally stock at 50% off which the original price was already about 40% lower than the regular supply. They also had a few tubs on sale and exterior doors for the equiv US$18.50.

I went to the thrift store and they had cabinets there a a good deal.

Well, you live and learn. Shop early and stock pile for the process. You usually get good deals.

Laura

Bart_Cubbins

If you've got a Habitat for Humanity ReStore nearby, they're worth checking out... windows, doors, plumbing and lighting fixtures, flooring...  If you find something you need, not only do you get a good deal but you're also helping other people to get into their own homes.

Daddymem

Demolition places are nice if you have one nearby.  Nice solid wood interior doors (future guaranteed dings already included!) for the price of hollow new ones.  Old look sinks and tubs on the cheap too.  This particular place is huge and has so many interesting things!
http://www.nedsalvage.com/
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Grovegrp

For my last project, a custom designed colonial (with shingle style elements) I proced windows from 4 different sources including HD and local supply houses.  HD beat all by over $1000.  This was for a total of 44 openings including a 12 ft slider and two 6 ft sliders.  They were Anderson low-e tilt wash

BTW this was on Cape Cod