Window Trim Ideas

Started by pioneergal, February 21, 2007, 04:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

Tomorrow we will begin to put the exterior trim around our windows.

I had a hair-brained idea about  putting rosettes in the corners of the exterior window trim just as you would on the interior trim.
Is this acceptable for exterior trimwork or am I WAY off base with this idea?

Do they even make a product like this for exterior application?

I just thought it would add style to the trim work :)

pioneergal

Okay....I found out that rosettes are NOT what I want.

I'm just trying to get a few ideas to enhance the trim around the exterior of the window.

Not anything to fancy just something different than the plain square butt-jointed framework.

I thought adding something to the corners might be that something.

Any ideas?

fishing_guy

Not that I'm much of a designer, but it seems to me that you could use a router to break up the flat profile, without destroying the integrity of the wood?!?  

All my window trim in my suburban home are aluminum wrapped.  Nice for matience, but not that interesting wo look at.  Haven't gotten to the window portion of our up-north land yet.  Still mulling over floorplans and budgets.

glenn-k

Sometimes I just extend the top trim board about 1/2 inch past the side boards each side then angle the cut 1 inch wider at the top on each side.  Not fancy but different.  Overall the board must be 3 inches longer than the side trim to do this.  The top angled cut is 1 1/2 inches out from the extended line of each side trim board.  Did that confuse things enough? :-/

Amanda_931

Seems like outside window trim sometimes has a couple of concentric circles in the corners.  With or without a bit of board extending past the verticals.

Or you could make trim out of slab-wood.  Takes hours to get the bark off, then cut an edge to approximately a quarter-round, and then have lots of fun trying to match the "quarter rounds" to each other--especially if the person doing it has never cut trim before, and has trouble visualizing how it's supposed to go (I wasn't doing it this time, but the results might have been just as annoying if I had).  It really does look kind of neat.

MountainDon

QuoteSometimes I just extend the top trim board about 1/2 inch past the side boards each side then angle the cut 1 inch wider at the top on each side.  Not fancy but different.  Overall the board must be 3 inches longer than the side trim to do this.  The top angled cut is 1 1/2 inches out from the extended line of each side trim board.  Did that confuse things enough? :-/
I've seen/done similar things. I've also seen carved or patterned blocks at the upper corners, slightly larger than the top and side boards.

Sassy

Pioneergal, did you notice the eves on Pala's place he is building?  He put some nice curves in them - don't know if you could do some creative curves for the trim?  Probably too much work - but does look nice.  You could use wood carving tools or a dremel to carve out some designs on the ends.