Windows

Started by pioneergal, April 23, 2006, 05:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Lowes windows appear to be thermally broken. Here's what they say at the website.

"Aluminum - Aluminum windows are more durable than bare wood—also thinner, lighter and easier to handle. They are insulated with a thermal break of extruded vinyl and sometimes also foam, which reduces heat loss and condensation. Finishes protect the aluminum from corrosion, but deteriorate in coastal areas due to the salty air."

These may be slightly different windows in different markets as the may be manufactured locally.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

Can't frame first and then buy windows with this strategy, also need a place to store them, but

I know people who've gotten serious bargains from either a local manufacturer's back lot (whole house's worth of matching windows in one case made for a customer who had backed out at the last minute) or a (locally owned will work better here) building supply's boneyard.  Person I know who did this did have each room's windows matching--but she haunted about six places for months.  Most were more or less on her way to or from work.  And I've gotten sample windows for a project.  They didn't need to match  ;) .

Jimmy C.

Lowes link to the windows..

I got the BetterBilt windows labeled Low E, not the ones that are labeled insulated glass

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&pad=true&No=0&Ne=8000&category=BetterBilt&N=0+5000047+4294966953
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

ki4hpz

I am going to build another small house in a few yrs. I will be using windows that do not open on top and just below them awing windows.  Try to prevent as much leakage as i can.

Amanda_931

Several of us in my part of the country--including me--are thinking about how to open transom type windows--probably heavy windowsm and definitely to the outside (as opposed to the ones I remember from childhood, where they mostly went into the hall).

suggestions welcome.