Windows

Started by archimedes, February 24, 2016, 03:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes

I'm starting a reno project soon and will be needing several vinyl windows.  Anyone have any suggestions on brand or where to buy.  I looked at the American Craftsmen at HD and wasn't terribly impressed with the quality or the price.

So what have you all used and where did you get'em?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Redoverfarm

You might check locally for companies that build them.  Around here there are several.  Also if you have a Window World they make a good quality replacement window.  I know that Lowes sells several major brands.  Not sure of their regular stock ones in your area but here they are Jeld Wen.  They also stock Pella.  I believe I ordered Anderson at HD for my garage addition. 

MountainDon

I second the "look local" comment from John. We got locally made windows, that are IMO, better made than most of the mid range and upper mid range for about the same cost as mid range big box store windows. Better in that they have a lifetime warranty on the sealed glass unit, and better in that the sealed unit is made at the same altitude where it is installed. Altitude difference can influence how long a sealed unit stays sealed. This may be more important when the point of use is high elevation and most big window companies are several thousand feet lower.   We also have a couple upper end Pella's that have survived 20+ years quite well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

DaveOrr

I went to my local glass guy to get my windows.
It helps that he's a buddy and my next door neighbour.   ;D
My windows are all customs and I got a very good deal on price.   :)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

rick91351

MountainDon's concern over altitude of manufacturing was one reason we chose local.  Turned out they have a huge operation all kinds of styles and price ranges and were able to surpass the required energy code. 

'Nother question are you going to have to meet energy codes? 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

archimedes

I will be pulling permits,  so I do need to meet the building code.

I'm not aware of any local manufacturers,  but I'll have to ask around.  I hadn't thought of that.

I did buy one of the low end HD American Craftsmen (Anderson) windows to put in my garage.  It wasn't as bad as I had expected considering some of the reviews.  I really think it makes a huge difference who it is installed by,  and how it is installed.  My only grip with the windows was that the vertical frame was really thin.  When it came time to build out the jams there wasn't much area for the jam to meet the window frame.  More expensive windows have a thicker frame and give you more area to work with.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

NathanS

buildingscience.com and greenbuildingadvisor have great guides on how to properly flash a window.

The pros all say that no matter how good the window, it will leak eventually. The key is to pan flash, make sure you have the jams flashed, and proper flashing at the head. Go figure.

I don't know much about windows, but if you are calculating BTU loss on your house assembly, changing the U-factor on your windows can have pretty astounding results - not so surprising when they make up 10-20% of your exterior walls.

Of course, a leaky .20 U-factor window is going to end up performing worse than a tight .3 U-factor window. If I remember right, I saw some stuff that vinyl expands/contracts at quite a different rate than glass, so you could run into some issues there over time. I've seen fiberglass recommended instead, but I have no idea how much more that would cost.

Good thread. We have a local window company in Norwich NY that I need to go visit ASAP. I can't believe February is already just about done.

rick91351

Here the building inspector handed me the paper work of the way they call required.  He also said it was required - that they would be inspected as such.   Very easy for a DIY, it falls here under the required energy code.  I think it is down loadable if I get a chance I will take a look.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.