Window installation questions

Started by Arky217, March 08, 2011, 10:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

I will be installing some windows in new construction and was wondering about the following.

When installing a flanged, new construction window in a rough opening that has 1/4" clearance on all sides, should you center the window top and bottom or should you let it rest on the bottom sill ?

Should you use nails or pan head screws in the flange mounting holes ?

I noticed that the mounting holes in the flange are somewhat slotted; should the nails or screws be tight against the flange or should there be a slight clearance for the window to move if the framing settles somewhat ?

The windows have a built in J-channel for siding, but after installation and before the siding, should you apply something like a strip of peel & stick roofing membrane around the perimeter, overlapping the flange to the sheathing ?

Thanks,
Arky

rocking23nf

I shimmed the bottom and all sides, screwed the flange on every second or third hold, and siliconed top and sides of window, and light spray foam on the inside.

Dont over spray, i made this mistake on 1 window, the stuff started to make my window warp.

I put my screws flush, dont over tighten as you will tear through the plastic.

MountainDon

Roofing nails work, depending on how accurate you are at making the hammer hit where you want it.  ;D   They allow the stick on flashing to lay flatter than screws. That likely doesn't matter all that much. Flush without over hammering/screwing.  I used screws for initial placement, then nailed in all holes as the window mfg stated.

Grace Vycor is one of the self adhesive flashings available, comes in rolls. Do the sill first then install the window. Think like water layering the overlaps so water is led to the outside. Grace Vycor has info on flashing available from their website. Well work looking for and following. The house wrap or felt should be flapped over the upper flange. Flashing goes on bottom up.

Most window manufacturers have installation instructions that should be followed to maintain the window warranty.

There are canned foams that are made especially for window and door installation. They don't expand as much and remain soft so they will not deform frames. I used one by DOW.

I centered the window to give the fasteners all around an equal amount to bite into. Make sure the bottom is well supported.

Make sure the window operates freely before calling it a done deed.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.