OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 21, 2014, 08:29:32 AM
Love it!

How did you secure the posts?
Thanks,
i drove an 18" stick of rebar in the center of the log after drilling a pilot hole, leaving 3" hanging out of the bottom.
I coated the bottom of the log will silicone, then drilled a 5/8" hole in the concrete top pad, put down a wet morter bed to level the log and hold the rebar.
on the top i put in a 6" timberlok, and several deck screws.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

I finished the roof today on the 2 story section of the addition....
I used a rock climbing harness and a repelling rope mounted to a roof mount

glad this part is almost over..
— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks great.  Really starting to tie in with the other building. 

How long did it take you to get that much of the roof done?

thanks
Austin

astidham

Thanks Austin,
it took 2 weekends, long weekends.
mainly because the lack of help. with 3 or 4 people, I could have finished it in a weekend.
the little bathroom off the back of the house, I roofed complete today before I went to work.  :)
— Henry Ford

astidham

there lower roof over the bathroom is complete!
— Henry Ford

astidham

got the entry roof and the eyebrow roof finished this weekend.

just a little more roofing and  sidewall flasing to go!
— Henry Ford

dablack

I like that the entrance and eyebrow are both 12/12 pitch like the original 1.5 story.  It really ties it together. 

Lookin good!

astidham

Haven't updated in a while,  but really i haven't got much done either. Here is a picture of the front with the entry area sheathed

Work and weather has kept me away from progress. And probably a little laziness too.
— Henry Ford

rick91351

Quote from: astidham on January 01, 2015, 02:47:11 PM

Work and weather has kept me away from progress. And probably a little laziness too.

I know the feeling - WOWWW do I know the feeling.  But wow your place is looking nice.   [cool]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

astidham

Thanks Rick,
warm weather always motivates me..  ;D
— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks good!  What is left to do?  What is the next step?  Plumbing? 

As far as getting stuff done, I had amost two weeks off and got very little done.  First I was too busy with Christmas, and then it rained for a week.  Between showers I did finally finish the paper on the roof. 

Austin.

astidham

Hey Austin, Thanks.
I have a little bit of framing left, and my next priority will be installing doors, then installing the hvac ductwork once I get it figured out. I am getting ready to have the entire place spray foam insulated, open cell.
After my vacation was over I figured out all kinds of things I could have done in my time off but didnt...lol
— Henry Ford

dablack

What made you decide open cell vs closed cell?  Also, what are you looking at as far as cost.  Down here it is about $1 per board foot (1"x12"x12").

Won't you need to run power and water before having it sprayed? 

Are you DIYing the HVAC?

astidham

Hey Austin,
I went with open cell mainly for cost reasons. 1.00 a square foot to fill the 2x4 stud bay vs the 1.00 an inch closed cell. The insulation company also suggests open cell for this application.
I will be installing my own ductwork and equipment.  I will hire a hvac guy to make the final connections though. The hvac guys who have quoted me so far have figure returns at half the cfm as the system produces and other design flaws, so I cant pay theses guys a doctors salary to design a system wrong. Ive been reading manual j, d and bought a super cool slide rule to design it myself... wish me luck. Lol
I have the elecric and plumbing laid out not to interfere with the exterior wall envelope, except 1 drain, and 1 through roof vent.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Todd,

You and I must be cousins or something.  Good for you on the HVAC.  Most of these guys are jokers that have no idea what a manual j is!  They would problemably give you 1 ton/500sqft regardless of your insulation or window location and size.  Lots of guys over on the ecorenovator site have installed their own minisplits but no full systems.  Please keep us up to date on how it goes.  The last big expense for our house is the HVAC and I would love to be able to do it myself.  Where are you getting your supplies?  I heard that sometimes the parts places don't like selling to "non-pros".

I'm going to need lots more details on how you want to do it.  Is the downstairs conditioned or is it all shop?  If the downstairs is conditioned, are you going with one unit or two?  Are you running the ducts in the attic?  Will the unit be in the attic?  Or are you going to use those big floor trusses and put the vents in the floor of the 2nd floor?  DETAILS!!

I've got one more guy that does it on the side that I want to call before I decide to do it myself but I have been leaning DIY for months.

Also, before you put the vent through the roof, have you thought about a peak gable vent?  No roof leaks and it is per code if it is far enough from windows and doors (not that we have to build to code). 

Austin

astidham

Austin,
we are cut from the same cloth for sure.
I am thinking the indor unit will be on the 2nd floor downdraft to the trusses so I can run a return in the entry area side wall near the ceiling where the wall height is 18 feet, then a couple more through out the down stairs.
I have walled off part of what was garage area next to the entry, for a living room, you can see in the last picture I posted the dou le window, its there. As far as vent, you have changed my idea on the drain waste vent, what a great idea!!! I am going to do that! thank you!
as far as the hvac systems, acwholesalers.com you can get all your equipment,  delivered to you for cheaper than a friend can get it for at the local hvac supply house, so thats where im getting mine. 18 seer goodman heatpump, 3 ton unit total system is under 3500.00 delivered to your door.
My idea is to run rigid round pipe off the plenum up and down from the floor truss after all my calculations are done, I will document the entire thing.
Todd
— Henry Ford

dablack

Todd,

Ok!  All I have been thinking about for the past 24hrs is HVAC.  For some time I have know what manual J and manual D is, but I didn't know where you bought the stuff.  I've been shoping around and the manual J book is over $100 and the manual D is $60.  Is there a cheaper place to get them?

I'm not sure if I'm going to need a 3 ton or 3.5 ton but I'm doing 2400 sqft with high insulation.  I'm hoping to get it done DIY for $4000.  We will see!

astidham

Austin, I bought my hvac manuals on ebay for 16 dollars, I found manual j online,  but can't find the link I was using. 3.5 ton is definitely in the range or less. Also check out supercoolsliderule.com it has some good stuff on there.
Todd
— Henry Ford

astidham

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have got some stuff done.
I put metal siding on the back of the addition,  most of it anyway.

also got some of the pine live edge stained and installed

— Henry Ford

dablack

Todd,

That is looking sharp.  You have passed me right up.  No siding on my place at all.  I'm waiting for cooler weather. 

Austin

UK4X4

Love the front view, its gone from pretty normal to really interesting ,

where did you get that upper window frame -on the porch or confesional frame... ?

astidham

Thanks UK, The frame is a hobby lobby wall hanging my wife sanded and stained. It does not have glass though.

Austin, the inside is still sticks, so you still have the W...  im trying to finish the outdoor work so wintertime will be sheltered work...  :)
— Henry Ford

UK4X4

Would you have a part or link to it, I'm after a couple of false windows for my now boring west end when we changed the design of the house
and it's now basicly bare

astidham

— Henry Ford

mpulse

Just read the whole thing I love what you got going here.  I live in Skiatook where abouts are you located