20x30 Western Maine

Started by RIjake, May 07, 2011, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Gage

I've been reading a lot about wood finishing lately and I found it very interesting to find out that most of what's sold as tung oil doesn't even have any tung oil in it. Usually it's just a thinned down varnish (wiping varnish) that you apply like tung oil; wipe it on, let it sit a while, then wipe most of it back off. Unlike tung oil it does slowly build a protective film with progressive coats since it's actually varnish.

No real reason for mentioning it other than your post made me think of it and I thought others might find it interesting too. Or maybe everyone but me already knew that.

Alan

RIjake

Good point Alan.  [cool]  That's why I wanted to include the link for where I got mine.  I did a lot of research on it before I bought it and the place where I got mine is 100% pure.

RIjake

This week I took delivery of the siding and the final grading will be started Wednesday.

Siding is 7/8" x 10" Wavey Edge Pine.  Some may know it as Waney edge, live siding or Adirondack.  I've always though that look is classic on a camp in the woods. 

The salesman recommended a product called Outlast Q8, here's a link http://www.applog.com/Portals/46354/docs/Tech_Q8_Log_Oil.pdf 

I'd love to hear from anyone who's used it. 

AdironDoc

Quote from: RIjake on May 13, 2012, 12:15:41 AM
This week I took delivery of the siding and the final grading will be started Wednesday.

Siding is 7/8" x 10" Wavey Edge Pine.  Some may know it as Waney edge, live siding or Adirondack.  I've always though that look is classic on a camp...

Live edge siding is known as "crazy man" siding by many mills/builders in the southern adirondacks. Can't imagine why but it made me chuckle when I first asked about "live edge" and drew blank stares.

RIjake

Crazy man! Love it.  I'll add that to the growing list of names for this stuff when I do a search online.  It's a pain trying to find info on it cause it's known by so many names.

AdironDoc

Quote from: RIjake on May 13, 2012, 06:32:40 PM
Crazy man! Love it.  I'll add that to the growing list of names for this stuff when I do a search online.  It's a pain trying to find info on it cause it's known by so many names.

I had the same issues when I tried to find information and photos. Looks nice though. Good luck!

RIjake

No one's used Outlast Q8 huh?

RIjake

Work on the camp has slowed quite a bit.  We've really been enjoying every minute we've spent up there but the funds have slowed us down.  The following are some highlights over the past couple months.  The siding is still waiting to be hung.  I've got some vacation time and a few buddies around the 4th so I'm hoping it will be finished soon.

I did manage to get an excavator on site for 2 days and was able to finally finish the site work.  I really should have had this done last fall but it never came together.  Fortunately I didn't see any signs of water or frost damage to the foundation.  I installed a 4" perimeter drain and coated the foundation.  My foundation guy did an excellent job on the actual pouring but he let me miss the opportunity to get these things done.

After the backfilling and grade work I've got this.

One angle looking out the back

Here's what it looks like coming up the driveway.

And a poor cell phone shot from the peak.

We've had some critter sightings too.
Here's a bobcat print, I know I forgot to put a reference marker out but I did measure it at 3.25" long.

She's been hanging around a lot

And this young bull was caught sprinting up my skidder road!

AdironDoc

Camp's looking great! Glad you got your perimeter drain in. Love the view too..apparently so do your "wild" neighbors!  :P Had some bobcat tracks here too but they're quite rare. Hope your moose are well behaved during the rut! Keep those photos coming...

Doc

Squirl

Looks good.  Thanks for the update.

das fisch

nice update and nice pics. we were up last weekend, had a bear at camp over the last few days. left us a few presents.
going back up this weekend, the moose lottery drawing is on Saturday up to Rangeley so we'll be up there for the event. My luck will turn one of these days.

RIjake

Better luck next year!  My buddy and I both struck out this year too.  Oh well. 

Here's a recent picture of one of our neighbors

And a couple nice bucks

I just got home from two straight weeks upta camp.  We had 4 consecutive days of rain but managed to get the loft floor done and install the door in the loft.  You can see it in this picture.  There'll be a 12x6 deck off the loft.

My friend and I got the gate hung that I built.

Also got some siding up.  I made a few mistakes but am getting used to the tricks with working with wavey edge.

We also got a new temporary set of front stairs built until the front porch goes on.  I got a lot of raking done along the foundation and many other little projects.

Here's a shot of some entertainment during a beverage break, 16 nails balanced on one.

And on one atv ride when we stopped I noticed my wife had this stuck to the front of her machine.  She didn't put it there either, perfect!

Sassy

Love the siding  :)  Glenn has used that on our RV garage.  You're making great progress!  Nice animals.  Also like the decoration on your wife's atv...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

RIjake

Here's a quick update on the progress. 

I've got the siding done

The rest of the trim will have to wait till the spring

The front porch will have to wait until the funds are there.  It's not the progression that I wanted since I'll have to go back and cut out the siding for the porch roof ledger.

I took out the window in the back wall and we put a full glass door with the internal blinds.  Very cool, this will give us two means of egress and a great view out the back of the house.  There will be a porch off the back with a deck above. 

V-match pine under the fly rafter and along the overhangs.

And lastly, our resident bull.  We consistently see him, an older cow and her young bull born last year.

RIjake

Well the winter was kinda slow.  I managed to get the insulation and wiring done.  So now I can plug my genny into the outside receptacle and have lights and water. 

I did just pick up a new toy. 1979 Case 580C, hydraulic thumb on the backhoe and a 4 in 1 bucket.

There's plenty of work to do with her.  Septic and final grading, snow removal, rock wall building, stump removal, digging the footings for the front porch, etc, etc, etc.

C.Oden

[cool]  Sweet toy!
If ya don't mind my asking ,,, curious as to what a bugger like that goes for? I can see lots of use for one ((not to mention just playing around)) but before I even think of bringing the idea up I best now a general "ouch" figure.  ;D

RIjake

It actually wasn't too bad especially because I split the cost with my friend and neighbor.  We looked at many machines and set the max at $10,000.  We could have spent less and certainly could have spent more (especially if we went 4WD).  This one cost us $8000.  About $2000 in spares came with it too.  We are putting some time and money into it which is to be expected for a 34 y/o machine.  Nothing too crazy, some hoses, all new fluids, couple seals and brake work.

We knew that an enclosed cab was a requirement for plowing in the cold winters here in Maine.  We really got lucky with this machine in that it has the 4 in 1 clamshell loader and the hydraulic thumb.  Both of which are very helpful where we are for slash and stump removal as well as rock moving.  4WD would have been nice but put us outside our budget, plus with a backhoe and a little practice getting stuck is a mild inconvenience.

C.Oden

Seems pretty fair priced to me for machine and spares. Hear ya on the 4wd being on ones want list as in heavy snow belt myself and be nice to have use of bucket in the slick conditions and mud in spring. Like everything - nice = more $$ usually.
Thanks for the info - now to catch her in the right mood when she wants a new saddle for her Arab.
"sure thing hun - BTW, I need badly a ....."  ;D

Atone

Love the look of your cabin. What did you end up using for stain, (how did you apply it) on the wavy board and how is it holding up?

umtallguy

you see any other nice backhoes around with a thumb?
I  may be in the market in oxford county as well.

RIjake

Quote from: Atone on April 22, 2013, 05:44:13 PM
Love the look of your cabin. What did you end up using for stain, (how did you apply it) on the wavy board and how is it holding up?
Thanks.  The stain is called Outlast Q8 log oil.  It was applied with a garden sprayer on front and back and a brush on the ends.  It goes on very easily and spreads out well with no brushing needed.  It's holding up very well.

Quote from: umtallguy on April 22, 2013, 08:49:54 PM
you see any other nice backhoes around with a thumb?
I  may be in the market in oxford county as well.

I didn't see any others with the thumb or the 4 in 1 FEL but I'm sure they're out there.

RIjake

I started the septic install last weekend.  The new backhoe performed great in the bony soil I have on my property.  The system is pretty simple.  750g tank.  Rock and pipe leach field with (3) 36"x40' trenches.  Here's some pics

Squirl

I love the look of the live edge siding.

RIjake

Here's how it sits presently.  Septic complete.  Plumbing roughed in.  I finally have a toilet!

speedfunk

man..that siding looks great.   [cool]