Author Topic: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)  (Read 879531 times)

Offline Adam Roby

• Montreal, Canada
Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Reply #2875 on: February 15, 2018, 04:04:19 PM »
I looked up snap switch but couldn't find very much.  Do you think these might do the trick?  They have them at many different temperature settings...

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2876 on: February 15, 2018, 04:42:38 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-3F01-110-Snap-Disc-Control/dp/B0028ATE5C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1518745316&sr=8-5&keywords=snap+switch
This is the one I used.  I know I've found them cheaper though!  But still, $10 isn't bad.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2877 on: February 15, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »
Quick trip to the cabin today to prep it for the weekend.  The idea is to go up at 'lunch' from work and kick on the power, hook up the generator and run it briefly, turn on the back up heater and get the wood stove going.  One the wood stove is going well and stoked nicely so it will heat for about 4 good hours it's off and running again back to work.  Then tomorrow night when we arrive late (around 9PM) the cabin should be at least 50F inside (thanks to the propane backup heater since the stove will be long since cold) and won't take too much to get warmed up before hitting the hay for the night.

It was 29F outside when I arrived with full sun on the solar panels and heater and I could hear the heater fan running in the porch.  Once I got into the porch I found the temp sitting right about 62F which was nice since there couldn't have been much more than an hour and a half of good sun on the heater to produce heat.

It's about 11:40am and 62F inside the porch.  I'm pretty happy with that!

Cabin temp on arrival.

Ten minutes with the door to the porch open to the cabin allowing that heat to help warm the cabin and having kicked on the backup propane heater the temp is rising nicely

There was a ten degree drop in porch temp due to the heat escaping into the cabin or the cold air being drawn out of the cabin and into the heater

26 minutes later and the temp is rising nicely and I have a fire going to help the heater out.

Better sun at 12:15pm means more heat and since the heater and woodstove are going in the cabin I'm guessing that helped the porch temp rise a bit.  Not bad though since it's still nearly 20 degrees colder inside the cabin.

At 12:47pm and ready to leave the porch is already passed it's arrival temp and up to 64F despite the heat loss into the cabin!  I did close the door for a short period though while the generator ran but it wasn't more than 20 minutes.  Nice to see that bounce up in temp in such a short period.

Wood stove going strong, backup heat set to kick off about 50F and it's time to head back to work and home.

I do believe this heater works well but I have some repairs to do to it.  Still, I will get a second made sometime this spring (I hope).

I'll be back tomorrow!

Can't wait to get back and adjust these panels and begin working on the porch.  I hope to get a battery box completed this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:29:53 PM by OlJarhead »

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2878 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
Spent the weekend at the cabin and am sore today!  d* ???  Maybe it was all the moving of batteries that got me ;)

Anyway, got started on the porch.  First step was to finish paneling up the South wall of the porch at least to a height above all the electronics on the wall (east) that the batteries were up against.

Since I started with that wall I wanted to finish it to at least above the door.  Next was to build the framing for the battery box and get it assembled.  I got the idea to rip 2x4's down from my camper build and figured this box didn't need a big heavy wall.  Once I had the framing sorted for what I wanted I removed the batteries from the porch and began working on the paneling on the wall behind after getting insulation in there too.

Once I had enough of the wall insulated and paneled my generator quit (because it has to be tied to the battery bank ground to properly function and I'd disconnected it) so I brought the batteries back in and got them all set up.  I had the new wall for the box installed and called it quits for the night.

I'd shortened the bus bars also since there was no need for them to be so long and tidied things up.  Sure makes a difference!

One big advantage to all this work is the room I've gained!  I gained over 6" to the right so the freezer could be turned and now takes up less room and the batteries are closer to the walls so I have more room in frot of them.

Was greeted with more snow and cold temps the next morning but planned to get some work in anyway

Had to sweep snow off the saw and deck often to keep a decent work area.  This did cause me to slow down a bit and eventually give it up!

Mother nature just wanted to remind us that Winter was NOT over yet!

However, I kept at it and got the box about 90% complete!

You can see it pretty well here.  Eventually the side will be paneled and the front will just have a gap at the base to allow air flow.  The front and top will be mounted via studs and wing nuts when complete so they can be removed for maintenance.

The fan goes there.  It will have a 2" riser to bring it up a little more (above the electrical box) and then will be vented outside.  Since venting under the window wouldn't be best I'll have to turn it down the wall a bit I think and then vent it away from the window.  I'll have to finish the paneling up the wall behind the disconnect box and charge controller and then get the conduits installed to clean up all the wiring.  I'll also have to seal up the penetrations so hydrogen doesn't vent into the porch anymore but I think I've made a giant leap forward here now :D

We left just before noon once I decided mother nature won and it was time to head home.  We're pretty excited though and are planning to get more paneling made and the flooring ready!  WhooHoo!

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #2879 on: February 19, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
 [cool]

I wish we had that much snow. There's still not enough snow on the ground to need 4WD let alone chains or a plow.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2880 on: February 19, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
Ha!  We've got plenty if you want some ;)

Was coming down hard when we left too.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2881 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:34 PM »

Thought I'd add this one.

I'm really loving the room we gained and seeing the panel go up finally!

Now I just need to make more!

Offline redside

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #2882 on: February 23, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »
Love the blue stain in the t&g panels.......looks really nice.

Offline JavaMan

• Rock Of Ages Ranch - Somewhere in the Okanogan
    • The Lodge at Rock Of Ages Ranch
« Reply #2883 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
Lookin' good there!

Did you get up to your place this weekend?

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2884 on: May 31, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »
Nope :(  We went camping instead.  I popped up for an overnight a week or so ago but no major trips planned right now as it's milling season and I'm off milling two weekends this month with more trips coming in for July etc.

Trying to keep the milling down to two weekends a month and or some mid week stuff though so I can plan a trip to the cabin for work.