Need Advice: Break-ins and Theft of building materials

Started by Strix, September 10, 2018, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Without breaking the bank I would suggest a regular game camera placed at a slight distance from your gate before you enter it.  If anyone enters or breaks a lock they would first have to stop at the gate.   The camera should capture the license # and description of the vehicle.  Chances are they will not be looking for your camera away from your cabin.  Upon exiting they will not pay much attention as they will be in a hurry to leave.  From my previous experience the physical description of the individuals will do very little in identifying the individuals identity.  The law enforcement will have a better chance finding the vehicle later (from the vehicle description) and almost for sure with the registration plate.  I wouldn't place it at eye level.  I elevate mine up to where I have to use the truck bed to retrieve the card and change batteries.  Speaking of which a normal set of batteries should last at least 2 months which is dependence on the amount of photographs taken.  That would eliminate a separate battery to draw attention to the camera location.  Of course if you feel better by placing a second camera near the residence they are fairly inexpensive so if they discover it the loss will be minimal.

I am constantly capturing individuals walking up to the cabin and exiting (locked gate) and even some driving up (open gate) and none have ever appeared that they had seen the camera.

Strix

This weekend, I found the century-link owned buried telephone wires which are actually on my property. Spoke to another rep today who told me apparently that the last few times I spoke with century-link, their reps had no idea what they were talking about and that there is almost assuredly DSL service available. So, enough said, I will be purchasing that service relatively soon...

I also have purchased quite a few game cameras in the mean time and will be putting them up. Lots of good placement advice on here, I will take that into account. Given the location of my gate, there are actually quite a few spots for a camera that would be nearly impossible to see. I'll get the cameras up and hopefully they'll just be good peace-of-mind insurance as I move forward. I'd love to simply not get robbed again, but who knows...

If I can get internet access set up, I'm likely to get quite a few more sophisticated safety installations going. Motion-sensors, IP-cameras, UPS, megaphone speaker, etc... I've gone a little nuts with home automation down here in the cities, and it would be a breeze to set up a remote system to log into if I could get hardline internet. Would love to get notified via email that someone's walking around my property and be able to watch them from 120 miles away... Even better to be able to address them directly from a stadium announcer's speaker high up in the trees... Icing on the cake to have their license plate number and nail them for trespassing...

Whoever got us this first time has not returned... (Smart) I'm glad for that. Nothing was out of place or broken when I went up this weekend. We had our temporary shelter delivered on Saturday, a 46-foot long reefer semi-trailer! I didn't chain it up to anything, so fingers crossed no one walks off with it! Ha.