I wonder if these could be part of a footer or foudation??

Started by Txcowrancher, April 18, 2009, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandres

I saw those too and wondered the same thing.  I don't know how you would get them perfectly level in the ground though?  I also wonder how the building and permitting department would feel about it.

MountainDon

Those are huge!. I've only seen the shorter ones around here. If there was no inspection they would likely work. As for getting them level and well supported along their full length; well that's the biggest problem other than getting them moved and placed.

MTL, the easiest way to level them would be to pour a concrete footer, reinforced with rebar, and then set the concrete barrier in place. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

Careful preparation of your subgrade could get you close and then a little shimming could bring you to accurate level----they are known as "jersey barriers or dividers" because they were first designed and used by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority years ago.  They would make a bodacious cabin foundation!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

rick91351

About thirty years ago I drove ready mix truck for a couple years.  Back then that would have been not just a no but $$%#@@# no way.  I assume things are worse today.  Footings, piers and pier pads had to be poured in place.  However those puppies make one heck of a retaining wall. 
rlr
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

firefox

Ok, this is crazy, but here goes.
Get 8 of these puppies. This is for a 30 x 30 foundation.
Grade the area flat but extend it aroundthe perimeter.
put a layer of crushed rock, followed by 2 to 4 inches of foam
making sure the foam extends out at the perimeter.
Put down a moisture barrier over the foam.
Set 6 of the barriers down on 6 foot centers, but first notch the ends
so that when you put the remaining two barriers in place at the ends of the other 6, the will roughly fit up close. Drill holes and put in rebar to pin the
ends together. Make a form and pour concrete to bond everything together
at the ends.
Place some concrete on the foam perimeter to keep the foam in place so that the extended foundation protects you against frost heave.

Now route some pex in the slots at the bottom of the barriers and seal in place with some concrete.

You can now route hot water from solar collectors to the bases of the barriers. The barriers will help store the energy and can be used for didtributing the heat.

I am assuming that the slot in the barriers is in the neighborhood of 4 to 6 inches, so that might be used for multiple posts and an aid to the leveling issues if any.

Ok I said it was crazy. But maybe it will give people some ideas.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824