FPSF

Started by 325ABN, April 15, 2010, 08:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

325ABN

Can anybody recomend a good book on frost proteced shallow foundations? I am thinking of using on for my 24 X 32 structure in NH.

Thanks!

Jeff922

The one and only place to go for this information is the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) Revised Builder's Guide to Frost Protected Shallow Foundations.  I was able to print the 2004 edition off the internet - can't remember where, I'll try to find it and post a link.  It's 34pgs. of a very detailed procedure for different situations.  For example, I used the design guide for an unheated space - see some of my pics under "A Victoria's Cottage in Western Maine".  NAHB has done extensive research on this subject for the past 30 years or so including test homes in cold weather climates - like Vermont and Alaska. 

My monolithic "bell" slab has gone through two unheated winters and there are no cracks.  I followed the design guide exactly and that is what I would recommend.  There seems to be two schools of thought regarding FPSFs:  The right way and the way most contractors do them  ;).  A lot of people will tell you to only use 2' of perimeter "skirt" insulation but you should use at least 4' in New England.  I say this because I used 2' squares of rigid insulation under blocks under my small barn and it moves around a lot with the frost.  Now to be fair, this is not an apples to apples compairison.  My Victoria's project is on sandy, gravely soil and my barn (back at home) sits on clay.  Drainage is a VERY important thing to address.  I don't think I would try an FPSF on the wrong soil type.  It would be cost prohibitive as it would require 4"-6" of rigid insulation and/or lots of gravel.

"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

Jeff922

325ABN

THANK YOU! For that link. I almost spent $70 for the same thing.

JavaMan

Thanks for the link - there is a lot of good, interesting info there! (besides the shallow foundation info) [cool]

Jeff922

:)  I know, I actually thought it was any enjoyable read... :o 

pocono_couple

where in NH?  do you have a design yet?

325ABN

Acworth is the town we have 22 acres. No firm plans yet other than a 24 X 30 (or so). Things are pretty fluid right now, expect the road to go in soon by then we should have a better grip on what we are building. Trying to put this together on a very tight budget.

John Raabe

Here's a FPSF article I've had for several years on the main CountryPlans.com web page. I think they did a very good job on the graphics:

http://www.countryplans.com/Downloads/shallowfound.pdf
None of us are as smart as all of us.

325ABN

Thanks John! [cool]

I could have sworn I searched the site for something like this. ??? ??? d*

Jeff922

Oh yeah, I forgot about that article - that's a good one.

pocono_couple

Acworth - looks like a quiet area of the state...  it will be neat to follow your progress..   i used to live in wolfeboro a while back, and i still enjoy visiting when i get the chance to come back up north!