1 1/2 story as the second floor of two story?

Started by dablack, February 06, 2011, 08:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

I really like the universal two story and I like attics (no basements in south texas), but I hate 12/12 pitch roofs.  I will be installing dormers in the attic so as to be able to use it for more things than just hunched over storage.  My question is, can I build the second floor of the universal like the 1 1/2 story plans?  That way the attic would have a short 2'-ish wall and I can lower the pitch to something I'm more comfortable on.  I would love to be able to stand and walk around in my attic and still have a low pitched roof (no snow load down here). 

thanks
Austin

Redoverfarm

The higher the pitch the more headroom you would have.  Maybe a 10/12 instead.

dablack

Yes, a 10/12 isn't so bad but I'm really shooting for something lower like a 8/12 or 6/12.  Really low, I know, but I HATE steep roofs when I'm the one that has to get up there sometimes. 

thanks and I love your build.  I've read it many times.
Austin

bayview

Seems to me, if you want to be able to stand in the attic and have a lower pitch (5/12 or 6/12) you will need a higher side wall than 2ft.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Bob S.

What if you Built the 2 story and shortend the walls on the upper story to 4', then used parallel scissor trusses? Or maybe just reguler scissor trusses. By using the trusses you would not need to worry about the outward trust on the short pony walls.

John Raabe

You could use the 1-1/2 story plan and have 12' sidewalls on the 2nd story, but if you go flatter with the roof you are increasing the outward thrust of the roof load and would likely want to have those trusses designed by a local truss company rather than the steeper site built truss I show in the plans.

And, that sucker is really getting tall! Probably something like 23'-24' straight up from the ground. How about doing the Universal and getting attic trusses built for the top at say 8:12 or so. Then have a ground level lean-to addition for storage, workshop or whatever else you need?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dablack

Ok, lets say I did do a 1 1/2 story for the second floor.  Are all the site built trusses in the plans 12:12?  If they are all that steep, I really wouldn't need the half wall up in the attic.  With a couple of dormers there would be plenty of room for me up there. 

I just hate the idea of me trying to put on a metal roof with that kind of steep pitch.

thanks
Austin