Full time or Part time

Started by glocksrus, August 16, 2009, 05:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glocksrus

How many here live in their small homes full time?  We live full time in our 720 sq ft home (me and the wife) there was three until our daughter married about a year and a half ago. See our house in Ms. thread.  I want to build about a 500 sq ft house but the wife thinks it's to small. Plus we don't want to leave here since we just about have it the way we want it.

MountainDon

Quote from: glocksrus on August 16, 2009, 05:29:54 PM
.... we don't want to leave here since we just about have it the way we want it.

Then why even consider moving? Unless there is some serious deficiency in the existing home I don't understand.  ??
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glocksrus

We own 20 acres of family land that we thought about moving to

MountainDon

That would be a good reason to move, if you like the land and surroundings.  ;D

Next is what square footage you really need.

We have a 472 sq ft (430 sq ft actual space inside the walls). That much space would be sufficient for the two of us. It works as a retreat, but I would not want it as a full time residence. For full time we'd have to add more space for laundry, more storage for food and other supplies, closet space for seasonal and other clothing, etc....  I could see the required space step up from 472 to 600. So I guess I agree that 500 sq ft or two is on the small side.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

I can certainly see wanting to move to the acreage.  My wife and I have tossed that around as well.  Plan on doing so in fact in a couple years.  If you guys are living now with 720 sq. ft.  I would think on a full time bases that would be about the minimum. 

We like the Volks plan - it weights in at 983 sq. ft. http://www.countryplans.com/volks.html.  We are thinking of stretching it a little in favor of pantry space and larger kitchen if we decide to build it. 

rlr     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.